Any Bilingual Education Teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach21, Oct 23, 2009.

1. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Oct 23, 2009

I have an assignment in one of my classes to interview a bilingual ed/ESL/ELL/etc teachers. I have been too sick to actually go to a school to ask these questions. Can any of you help me? As many responses as I can get would be great.

How did you get to be where you are at in your career? Classes? Endorsements? Etc?

How long have you been teaching?

What is a day like in your room? Do you teach a full class of kids, or do you pull out kids from their gen ed rooms?

What is the best part of your job?

What is the hardest part of your job?

What do you wish could be done differently?

What do you wish everyone knew about your career?

What do you wish people knew about your students?

What challenges do your students face?

How would you describe the state of bilingual education in America today?

I hope these questions are worded correctly, feel free to offer any other information you feel is important.

Thank you!

3. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 23, 2009

How did you get to be where you are at in your career? Classes? Endorsements? Etc?
    I have a bachelor's degree in bilingual ed and a supplemental certificate in ESL K-12. I also have a Spanish degree.

How long have you been teaching?
    Six years.

What is a day like in your room? Do you teach a full class of kids, or do you pull out kids from their gen ed rooms?
    I have always had a self-contained class. I do not know of any classes in Texas urban districts where bilingual students are served via pull-out in their native language unless the lg. is Vietnamese or Urdu.

What is the best part of your job?
    My kids make me laugh. All. The. Time. And when they finally get something and describe it perfectly, in their own words.

What is the hardest part of your job?
    Dealing with behavior issues stemming from external forces that keep kids from learning. And aggressive parents.

What do you wish could be done differently?
    Bilingual materials are hard to find, not widely available, and way too expensive for me to purchase myself. Not enough equity in materials and resources.

What do you wish everyone knew about your career?
    Bilingual education should be valued at every age; it's silly that we want students to learn a second language in middle/high school, but we don't want them to grow up bilingual in elementary and maintain a language they already know.

What do you wish people knew about your students?
    Bilingual parents are generally extremely supportive and caring. Their involvement shows in their children.

What challenges do your students face?
    Feeling like outsiders to students who do not speak Spanish; having to translate school business for their parents; negotiating between two cultures and languages all day long.

How would you describe the state of bilingual education in America today?
    In some states, like Texas, things are improving... but in states where bilingual ed has been stopped (California, Arizona), things are moving backwards. Seems like every other country in the world appreciates and values bilingualism but the U.S.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2009

In California we are not legally allowed to do bilingual classes as far as I know. During an accreditation, an aide said something to one of the students in Spanish and we were dinged for it and told very strongly not to allow teachers or aides to speak to students in a foreign language. Immersion seems to be the only way we are allowed to go.

5. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Oct 24, 2009

We have many bilingual settings in my district

I teach in southern California. We have many classes that are still using bilingual settings. We also have many dual language classes, as well.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2009

Really? Our educational consultant from the state told us no very emphatically. We don't have any in our district, also So. Cal. Poor kids have to sink or swim.

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2009

And how!!!

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2009

Sad. My mom would have responded that English was the foreign language here in Texas -- Spanish was here first. Same for California. :)

9. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 24, 2009

I believe that certain schools/districts in CA have waivers in order to have bilingual/dual language programs. Proposition 227 was passed in 1998, and that essentially ended bilingual ed in the state - with the exception of the schools that got the waivers and alternative programs. Arizona did the same afterwards. I thought a northeastern state did too, but not sure.

10. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Oct 28, 2009

I teach at a Spanish language immersion school in Georgia.