Any and all materials that you NEEd to do your job

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by linswin23, May 18, 2015.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 18, 2015

Hi there,

Can you give me a list of things you have in your classroom that would make your job difficult to do if you didn't have them? I'm going to start teaching a new first grade class next year, and we don't have any materials...yet. I'm trying to convey to my boss that a self-contained first grade classroom NEEDS A LOT OF STUFF, so he asked me to write down everything I would need.

Thanks, guys! :)

:thumb:

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 18, 2015

Math manipulatives
    Easel
    Carpet/rug
    Classroom library
    Smartboard or projector with screen
    Document camera
    Kidney table
    Listening center
    Clipboards
    Small group leveled book sets

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 18, 2015

Bella has a great list.

On the wall you'll need a numberline, calendar, 100 chart and alphabet.

You will need about 1 billion little baskets for books, center tubs, and other materials.

Go through a supply catalogue like Lakeshore, Scholastic or Wintergreen and make a wish list. Are there other grade 1 classes at your school? Check to see what they are stocked with to help you get an idea.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 18, 2015

I need a working document camera. The one I have only works about 50% of the time...grrr.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 18, 2015

These haven't been mentioned yet, but for me - privacy screens, personal white boards, expo markers, and dry erasers.

Lucky you that your school will be picking up the tab for all this. I had to buy most of the things listed in this thread myself.

7. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

May 18, 2015

I really love my magnetic letters and play money (tired of losing the real stuff.) I would like to get magnetic money to put on the whiteboard for next year.

I second dry-erase boards and plenty of markers. You can use them for anything - math, spelling, practice high frequency words, etc.

I don't have an easel or a listening center. I use the whiteboard and we use ipads for Listen to Reading.

Comfy seating and books, books, books. I never have enough books! You'll also need shelving for all those books, which is what I'm trying to get now.

8. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 18, 2015

Wow, thanks for all the ideas! I really hope my school understands that we NEED all of these things....I'm not sure how much will be bought....