Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by DressageLady, Aug 16, 2013.

1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 16, 2013

Okay, school starts on August 27th. New teacher orientation wraps up today, and everyone reports back for a couple of days of building level in-service stuff next week.

I have no more interviews lined up. I have submitted my application for a 2nd grade posted position in one district and a full-time title 1 tutor para position in another district, but I haven't been contacted by either school.

I interviewed for a half-time para position yesterday. If it is offered to me, and if I take it, I would not be able to sub for either of the two districts I am lined up to sub for. This principal likes to use his educational tutors as lunch duties, so regardless of what grade you are placed in, you need to be on campus to cover lunch. That would not give me the time to sub for even half days in kinder classes.

Neither of the two districts that I am lined up to sub for hire their subs. But they do hire their paras.

Part of me thinks I should turn down the half-time para position, if it is offered (there is fierce competition for even para jobs), follow through on my plans to sub for the two districts and just hit the ground running next hiring season. I might have a fighting chance to get hired as a teacher in one of the two districts. Once I had that last screening interview bumped up, I started to get interviews right away (3 interviews within 7-10 days). If I had gotten that screener done in June, I think I would have been hired somewhere as a teacher in that district.

So what should I do? Take a para job that barely pays minimum wage, or sub? One offers consistency. Which I crave. The other lets me at least be a teacher, granted one in a guest role. One allows me to eventually apply as an internal applicant, the other keeps my options open in case I do get called after school starts.
    Sheilah

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 16, 2013

To me, the barely minimum wage part is the deal-breaker.

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2013

If you sub, you would be free to take on a long-term sub job of your choosing. Those come up all the time, and they look great on your résumé!