Any advice for the 5031?

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Mrs.Husakovic, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Feb 13, 2015

I have to take the 5031 Praxis in order to be admitted to the MAT program, so I am about to start studying. For those of you who have already passed those exams, how hard was it? Which one do you recommend taking first? I was thinking to start from the hardest first, which for me would be either Science or Math. Does the Science test include any Chemistry? If it does then I can give up now! That is the one thing in life I absolutely can not learn! How hard are the exams overall? What books and study guides did you use to study? Any advice will be greatly appreciated :hugs:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 13, 2015

"Hardest" is always relative. Whatever subject matter you find easiest, I promise is someone else's downfall.

Do bear in mind that, for all teacher examinations, a test (or subtest) is scored as a whole: for 5035, the science subtest, a strong performance in earth science and life science can compensate for a less stellar job in physical science (which is the domain in which chemistry is tested).

Take a look at the list of topics for 5035 and tell me which ones you don't understand.

Then tell me whether you've ever (a) cooked an egg or (b) counted kids before and after a field trip.

4. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Feb 13, 2015

I Googled a list of topics for the science section. Seems ok. I certainly have some studying to do...it has been years since I had Science. But after a few weeks of studying I should be able to pass ithe test. I have not noticed any Chemistry (like I had in HS). I just registered to take the test on the 10th of March. Thanks God there are a few test dates available per month! Now I just got to decide which books to buy. How about the Math section? What does that contain? I hope it really is Elem. Level lolll!
    Teachergroupie, yes I have cooked an egg before. :)

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 13, 2015

6. WasaabiDragon

WasaabiDragon New Member

Feb 13, 2015

I just retook the 5032 subtest for the PRAXIS II exam and passed on my second try. I first attempted the PRAXIS II (5031) last October and attempted all subtests in one day because my advisor had told me that the first attempt had to be as a whole. I took the 5032 subtest today by itself and I will be retaking the 5033 (math) next week and then I will be done. *hopefully*
    Purchasing the study ebook on the ets website really helped me prepare for the retake as well as looking at my score report to see which areas I needed to focus on more. I am really nervous about the math retake because it is not my strongest subject.

7. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Feb 14, 2015

TeacherGroupie, very interesting article. I haven't though about Science for years :) I would say cooking an egg is a chemical change because during the cooking the egg has changed completely, it has turned from liquid into solid, it absorbed heat and releases heat, it releases odor and it can't be changed back into liquid.....

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2015

You denatured the protein, broke and recreated different chemical bonds that doesn't let you put the genie back in the bottle, or, in this case, the egg back inside the shell. This accounts for the fact that raw meat has one flexible feel, while cooked meat firms up. That said, research "unboiling an egg" http://www.livescience.com/49610-scientists-unboil-egg.html, because chemical changes are still big ticket interest in science.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 14, 2015

Turned from liquid to solid, yes. What class of change is that? (I'm looking for the category that also covers liquid changing to gas.)

Absorbed heat, more or less yes: the reaction is endothermic (heat goes in).

Releasing heat, not in this case: the reason the egg releases heat is not a chemical reaction but more a matter of thermodynamics: it's simply hotter than its surroundings. You're correct that exothermic reactions (heat-producing reactions) exist: burning is a kind of oxidation, and it certainly gives off heat.

Release of odor, yes: giving off gas is strong evidence of chemical change.

Change of color is another common evidence of chemical change.

Irreversibility of change is commonly but somewhat incorrectly cited as evidence of a chemical change. Grinding a coffee bean changes it irreversibly but doesn't stop the bits still being coffee-bean-stuff: that's an irreversible physical change. There do exist chemical changes that are reversible - but not very many of them, so chances are that the test wants you to parrot the incorrect line.