Any advice for teaching a college class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jinkies, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Aug 28, 2011

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any advice for teaching a college class. I am a college junior and dual majoring in elementary and special education. I got a job as a peer instructor for an one credit first year experience class (we talk about basic college survival tips, study skills, getting along with roommates etc.). I am very excited but really nervous! I have experience teaching elementary school aged kids, but absolutely none with older kids! Any advice for my first day tomorrow :eek:hmy:! Thanks so much!

3. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Aug 28, 2011

Jinkies, I taught college for 6 years, but I was a professor not a student. So in some ways your experience will be very different.

My two pieces of advice are these:
    1. Remember that you're more like a peer than a professor and work for a collaborative environment.
    2. Solicit their ideas about what to learn. They can help to direct you and can bring problems and ideas into class. You could make them into anthropologists and invite them to observe their peers and then bring to class their ideas about what they see (things other people struggle to figure out, things their roommate is doing well, etc.).

4. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Aug 29, 2011

Thanks! My first day went pretty good and I'm really excited about this class. :-D

5. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Aug 30, 2011

I did the same thing when I was in undergrad! It was a lot of fun. I also spent the last two years as a Teaching Fellow at a university, so I got to have my own classes, too. I enjoyed it a lot.

As a Peer Leader, I tried to inform myself about a lot of the goings-on of the university so that I could be a useful resource to the incoming freshmen who had lots of questions. I felt like something between a peer and a teacher, but I was definitely closer to being a peer. I made a point to arrive on time and alert because I remember when MY peer leader arrived late every day when I was a freshman--I couldn't take her seriously, and I wanted things to be different when I took over.