Any advice for soon-to-be teacher on the autism spectrum?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherperson, Feb 3, 2018.

1. teacherperson

teacherperson Rookie

Feb 3, 2018

I'm going to be an elementary teacher. I am also autistic. Any advice? Please don't post post anything negative. I'm already well-aware of the challenges I am going to face. All I need is encouragement, advice, and positivity.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2018

Is this a question that you are asking at the end of you college studies, or as someone with a desire to go into education? Big difference in advice. In one case, you recognize the potential struggles, but have college instructors who know you well to ask questions of, or help. In the other case, this may be a desire, but not realistically founded in the knowledge of everything required to teach successfully. You can't get specific advice without providing specific context.

If you have done student teaching, I would suggest carefully looking at all evaluations, and if there are negatives, reach out to university staff who know you and ASD best for ways to improve any deficits. Potential employers are going to want to see that you can accept and then remedy anything that needs tweaking. .No one is perfect, and teachers continue to learn throughout their career.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 4, 2018

I don’t think we can offer blanket advice as people with autism are vastly different. What area are you most concerned about?

5. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Feb 9, 2018

Even if you have disability, always be the best teacher you can be. If you make a few mistakes along the way, it's fine. To be honest, you might even be better than some teachers because you already understand difficulties that are encountered in the classroom. Consider your disability an advantage....I know it may not seem that way, but...trust me..you will be a very good teacher.
    Trust me, I have a class with 12 disabled students. I know they have disabilities, but I still expect them to try to improve to further explore.
    Please understand that a disability does not make you automatically a bad teacher. You can be just as good as any other teacher. Please do not let your disability hinder your occupation....just live with it. It probably won't be easy...but...hey....no teacher has it easy.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2018

How well will you interview ? How will you overcome your own challenges to best serve students? Because it's not about you, it's about your students.