Any advice for maternity leave?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by katenar, May 9, 2011.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

May 9, 2011

Hello Everyone -

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm currently pregnant and due in July, which means I'll be on maternity leave the very beginning of the school year and will miss the first 6-8 weeks of the school year. My type A personality makes this very hard for me to accept. :eek: This is my first child and everyone says once I have my baby I'll forget all about my worries about my classroom, etc, etc. However, I want to make this as painless of situation at possible for everyone (students, parents, long-term sub, and myself) involved. Any advice on steps or things I should do to prepare for this? :help:

Thanks. :thumb:

3. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 10, 2011

I don't have any advice, as I had a July baby and started the school year exactly 6 weeks after he was born. I just wanted to say good for you! That is the only parenting regret I have so far.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 10, 2011

I was born in late August. My mom is a teacher, and she has told me that she went on the first day of school and Back-to-School Night and whatever while I was a newborn. She took me with her for the social events, but my grandparents kept me for the first day of school. It may be possible for you to do something like that so you'll feel more comfortable with your students.

5. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 10, 2011

I was in this exact situation. I was out for 8 weeks with my son. I came in the first 2 days to meet my students, set rules up, etc. I then left for the remaining 3 weeks I had left. I also had a great sub who worked with me to plan. It made a huge difference when i came back, because the kids didn't say-"Who are you". Good luck.

6. holliday

holliday Comrade

May 10, 2011

Could you set up maybe a weekly Skype session so that you check in with the students from home? That might be a fun way to get to know then a little and stay current on what's happening.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

We hired our sub before the end of the year. Then the sub came in and observed the classroom before the end of the year so that she could see the routines etc.

Keep in mind that you can always change things....so if the sub doesn't do something the way you prefer, you can make changes when you return.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

I know you aren't expected to plan every day, but if you had an outline of what you expected the sub to cover during that time it would be good. What about a binder or folder with rules, procedures, common forms, songs you sing, bulletin board suggestions, etc. Are you allowed to set up the room in advance?

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

Just wanna say congrats!!

10. katenar

katenar Cohort

May 10, 2011

Thanks for the advice everyone! The good news is, my incoming students already know me since I work at a small school. I think I just need to get over my control issues. ;)