Any Advent Experts??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 1, 2010

Hi!

So my ten years of teaching have all been in Catholic school... but just this year I took a new position at a Christian school. It's a wonderful place. :)

As usual I put up my Advent wreath and 3 purple and 1 pink candle..! The woman who teaches next door told me kindly that the purple candles have been changed to blue!!!!!!

I did not know this!!! Any idea why? When I quickly google'd I learned that they did away with purple because purple is a sacred and solemn color of Lent... and that blue is a color for preparation and waiting, which the true meaning behind Advent...!

Or, I could have just beenmixing up my colors for the past 9 or so years! :D

3. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 1, 2010

I teach at a Catholic school and catechism at my church, its been purple since as far as I can remember. Unless they are playing a joke on you, I think you should double check. Could a Christian school be different in a Catholics views? I have never heard of the blue candle before. This past sunday at my church we used a purple. It has always been purple, purple, pink, purple. White for Christmas day.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2010

I've seen both at different Lutheran churches.My church has the traditional purple candles. This is what I found on a quick search:
    WHAT IS THE LITURGICAL COLOR FOR ADVENT?

Purple is the traditional color for the season of Advent. Purple was the most costly dye in ancient times and was therefore used by kings to indicate their royal status. Purple also signifies the repentance of God's people as they patiently await the arrival of their Lord. In more recent times, some churches have adopted blue as the color for Advent. Blue represents hope, expectation, and heaven. It is also the color associated with the Blessed Virgin Mary in art and iconography.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 1, 2010

I've seen both blue and purple for Advent... I think like someone else mentioned, purple was traditional, then it got changed to blue so as to keep purple solely for Lent.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 1, 2010

I have only seen purple and pink in the advent wreaths. I was not raised w/Advent, so my only experience is through Catholic schools. Perhaps a Christian school does it differently to distinguish from Catholic. Ask your principal or pastor. Lots of times we teachers (like your kind friend) get an idea in our heads and it is not correct. Our heads are so crammed full it is no wonder we sometimes get mixed up.

I am curious though, if it is the change to the Christian school that made this different color. Let us know what you find out ok?

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 1, 2010

Where is Alice? She would know.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 1, 2010

Alice is on a retreat with her school kiddos. She won't be back till Friday.

To answer the OP: If one is following the Catholic tradition, then it's still purple candles. There are, however, other denominations that follow a liturgical calendar who are not Catholic, and may have changed to blue for the reasons stated in one of the earlier posts. The OP may simply be in a school who has changed to blue.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2010

Agreed, mm. Our Lutheran school has three member churches--one uses purple during Advent, and two use blue. (I just had this conversation with my kiddos, actually!).

10. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 1, 2010

I asked a religious at our school (catholic) and it has always been purple. However, Episcopal, Lutheran, and some Christian churches (schools) also follow the calendar. They, however, might have different colors to distinguish themselves from religion.

11. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 1, 2010

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! I have changed out our classroom wreath!!!

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2010

My family is lutheran and I remember them always being purple too.

Stuff like this just makes me shake my head.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 2, 2010

I grew up with purple (Methodist), stayed Methodist but it changed to blue when I moved up north... so I'm not sure if it's a denominational difference, a regional difference, or an individual church preference.