Any admin/principals? Needing insight!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by K-5_teacherguy, Nov 21, 2018.

1. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Nov 21, 2018

I am currently in my 4th year of teaching, and I want to start working on my masters. I have always thought that sometime down the road, I would want to be a principal. For the most part, I still feel that way, but I know there are lots of challenges involved with that job that sometimes go unnoticed. I am also pretty introverted, and I'm not sure I have the demeanor to be running staff meetings, whole school assemblies, etc.

I definitely want to remain in the classroom for at least a few more years before trying to make any kind of move, but I also want to get the ball rolling with my masters. I've taught a different grade level each year of my career so far (4th, 5th, 1st, and now 2nd grade) so I feel that I've already had many great experiences and have learned a lot about the curriculum and best practices in a variety of grade levels. But I would love some input from current or former admins, or really any educator who wants to chime in. Could an introvert still be successful at leading a school? What has been most challenging for you as an admin that you didn't anticipate? What are the best parts of your job? Thanks in advance!

3. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Nov 25, 2018

I completely support you in your endeavor. I think you're thinking big-picture and playing the "long game," which allows you to move into admin when you best see fit. I was approached by my super three years into my teaching career about taking admin courses, and I'm so glad I did. I got my masters 5 years into my teaching career, and then added another masters in my content area. Although I have not made the jump into administration yet, I'm so glad I got the masters when I did. Now that kids and family are growing, it would be much more difficult to get it done today. Plus, getting it done early means you can move over on the salary scale, which is really nice. I would recommend shopping around and don't sign up for the first admin program that you see. Talk to other teachers in your district and find out what kind of programs they did. See if your district will cover some of the cost. Join admin networks when you start your credential and talk to administrators...keep the lines of communication open. Good luck!!