Any 6th grade teachers HELP!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by junesmum, Jul 6, 2005.

1. junesmum

junesmum New Member

Jul 6, 2005

I have always taught in the upper grades, but just moved to middle school. I worked in a low income area with tons of below grade level students. My usual Literature routine was Mon- listen to story, Tues- popcorn read, wed- choral read, Thurs partner read, Fri silent read, quiz. This was just for one story. Can any of you out there give me hints on your usual language arts routine? It would be greatly appreciated.

3. Kat Longoria

Kat Longoria Rookie

Jul 6, 2005

Well, you seem to have good ideas already from your experience in the upper grade levels! I basically did the same with my sixth graders last year, but not necessarily on certain days. (I, too, worked at a Title One school where all kids were at-risk and not on grade level.) I really liked Tuck Evertlasting for 6th graders. We totally got into it. We even spent one day afterschool turning the room into The Village of Treegap (setting). There were so many actvities and writing prompts to go alongside as well. We would typically begin by responding in our journals to our previously read chapter, discuss, begin new chapters (in which ever way you choose..I like the partner reading and so did they) and with new chapters came a set of vocabulary words that they had quizzes on every Friday too. Coinciding is the essay, which I liked to get atleast 2-3 in a six weeks. I gave a lot of time in my classes to go through the writing process and the 6 traits. After reading, discussing, etc. we moved to small groups to work on the essay, at which ever step of the writing process we were in at that time. We would typically end each class in one of those steps of writing and regroup before the bell to go over homework, next class expectations. Good luck! Kat

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2005

I don't use a basal, just novels. They always have a book report novel assigned for reading at home. I read aloud in class and we have a discussion. They also have a loose format of literature circles and respond in their journals. I need to tie in my writing lessons more closely to their literature circles - as Kat does. Thanks, Kat.

5. chase

chase Rookie

Jul 6, 2005

I think that I like the set way that junesmum did her reading, I am not for sure if all the sixth grade teachers will be getting together to decide on how we will do the reading portion but I will definitely try using this method thanks

6. Kat Longoria

Kat Longoria Rookie

Jul 6, 2005

If you don't mind my asking, Chase, where in Houston do you teach? Which district? Curious because I taught in the North District for 2 yrs. but just recently resigned with HISD to teach in the suburbs.

7. chase

chase Rookie

Jul 6, 2005

I teach at Cobb Elementary in Channelview ISD. I was also thinking about HISD or even ALIEF and Fort Bend but I had already signed my intent to go to channelview. But I know that Cobb is the school for me. What school did you teach at?