Any 4th grade NC teachers around?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by smannes, Feb 1, 2009.

1. smannes

smannes Companion

Feb 1, 2009

I'm just checking in to see how everyone's class did on the the 1st On demand prompt of this new testing. The instructions were terrible!

I just started to score mine and my class did HORRIBLE! Most of them forgot to even indent!

3. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Feb 5, 2009

Writing Scores

Out of 24 students I received 8 Level 3's. What is hurting my class is the conventions. They can write a story and have good ideas, but lord, ask them to put a complete sentence together is giving me gray hair.

We are finishing up the second ODW math prompt which is due the next Friday. I'm curious to know how these will be scored.

We don't score our own. We have days set aside by the county where we score other schools papers. I'm on the writing team for my school, so I'll get to score all four prompts.

There's a short training then we score. Takes a few hours and is a real eye opener to see how other schools do.

4. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Feb 7, 2009

We're just starting our first content based one. Our school didn't give us the information until the middle of January about anything we had to do...grrrrrrrrr

5. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Feb 13, 2009

I hate these new tests. They did not adequately prepare us for these things! My kids did HORRIBLE! Especially on the content paper..they can barely write a imaginative story and now I they have to switch and do "real" writing??

6. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Mar 14, 2009

Hi,
    Our 1st content writing was a disaster. We are still trying to figure out what social studies standard the prompt addressed.
    The on demand writing was okay...but scoring these things using the rubrics given is a nightmare.
    We are getting ready to do our 2nd content writing. I feel comfortable with the topic, but not all teachers have taught this yet. (We have science kits that we share so not everyone has experience with the topic.)
    This is my first year in NC and I must say, it is all just a little odd and confusing.