Any 40+ folks here who became teachers 'late' in life??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by thesub, Sep 14, 2008.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

Is there really an age bias in teaching? In central NJ where I live, I see young, blonde teachers being hired in elem. ed but I did see a one 50 yr lady who was hired for middle school math. What is your general opinion?

I am getting the CE in Elem. Ed and then prob. getting another certification in ESL (middle school and high school) and I am 42. By the time, I go thru a teacher prep program and then apply for jobs, I may be 45 at least. Should I even bother applying for any elem.ed jobs??

Do alternate routes count any more for elem.ed and MS/HS ESL?

Thanks so much for any advice.

3. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

I made a career change at 37 yr and I taught for 8 years, had to resign due to medical reasons and my emergency expired. I have been subbing for 4 years and still have no job. I am 50 now.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

A teacher at my school is 60 and she has only been teaching for 8 years.

The NJ job market is tough for everyone.

5. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

Giraffe326, are the administrators nice to this teacher or 'hinting' to herthat it's time to leave??? The librarian in my child's school turned 60 recently and was telling me that she would get all these hints from Human Resources and in her opinion, she was 'demoted' to the elem. ed school library after spending 30 yrs as a middle school librarian.

Thanks.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2008

I am in my late 50s and this is my second year teaching. Age hasn't been a handicap. In fact, it seems to be an advantage. The school gets maturity and a lifetime of experience for the price of a new teacher.

7. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

Malcolm, what do you teach? What level?

Thanks!

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

I think it depends on who is doing the hiring, and it also depends on the applicant.
    Forgive the cliche, but age is a state of mind. I have met twenty-two year olds who are older than me and I am forty-five.
    I think if you keep yourself well versed on cutting edge teaching methodology, still exhibit energy and enthusiasm, are flexible and keep yourself in good physical shape, you shouldn't experience age discrimination. I don't know if I have experienced it yet as I haven't even been able to get an interview.
    I am certainly worried about it, however. Right now I am staring at a community college application in which one question asks if I am over forty. The question is optional, but why ask at all?
    And if you were me, would you answer it?

9. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

BerniceBobs, if the question was optional and did not have an asterisk indicating 'must answer,' I would not answer it!

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

Actually, my P was promoted from AP to P last year, but had to move schools to my school for the position. She brought this teacher with her!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2008

I was hired at my NJ public school job at age 39. We have hired teachers who were career changers at slightly older ages than that... It's not necessarily age...it's whether you are a 'fit', your resume, experience, how you present yourself...

And PS...stop knocking the blondes...I'm a 40-something year old blonde, people don't think I can possibly have a 22 year old and 18 year old...Age is just a number, hair color is just a box of dye (oops did I say that, it's the sun, really it's the sun)..It's how you presnet yourself, are you passionate, well-spoken about education, do you have some experience that fits the position that matters...

12. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2008

I teach high school math. Last year I taught science and math.

13. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

czacza, sorry if I offended you - I did not mean to knock down the blondes but in my district, I do see many young blonde teachers in kindergarten-Grade 4. Also, the gossip in the faculty room would be 'new hires being young, blonde' etc.

My apologies if I seemed rude for any reason.

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2008

I was 39 when I got hired. My closest friends who teach are all 40+ and have been teaching for 6 years or less. In our district, older people are considered more stable. One of my friends was 52 when she strarted teaching after retiring as an airline stewardess.

15. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 14, 2008

i agree with this...

as for the question....not answering it may be as bad if not worse than answering it....wow, seems like an illegal question optional or not....it is still suggesting discrimination!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2008

No offense taken- there was another thread recently in job seekers where someone was lamenting all the blonde teachers who get hired...I'm not sure why the gossip would be about the new teachers being young and blonde- Yeah, most new teachers are young- that's reality. Doesn't mean though that districts won't hire older teachers... why is it in our profession that we 'eat our young'? We need to support each other- young, seasoned, blonde, bald...that's what's great about these forums.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 14, 2008

I got hired in my mid-40s and have been teaching for 10 years, so that makes me ..... still in my mid-40s!!!! We have several teachers in their mid 60s at my school. Also, a few in their early 20s. The school prefers to hire mature teachers, though.