ANXIETY!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

This morning I adventured up to the IRS office about 45 minutes north of here to get copies of my W2s. Everything went great-you are AWESOME, Tasha-thanks for the idea!

I was driving home when I got a call from our realtor. An offer has been put in on the home we want to buy. We were going to wait until Monday morning, after the Sunday open house. Change in plans! Surprise! So I rushed to the mortgage broker's office, got the W2s in, and-oh, big surprise-dh has his phone off. He flew out to Chicago this morning, but totally should be there by now. But of course, his phone is off. So I have no number to put on our offer letter.

WHY? WHY? WHY?

Not only do I not have a number from him, I have no one to discuss this with. Yes, I want this place, but I'm not going to be crazy about it and get into a bidding war. But I am def. feeling emotional right now and need to talk to someone about this and there is no one. My mom is in a hair appointment. My dad couldn't talk for some reason. Dh's phone is off.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

What if they accept our bid??? We would actually have this house. What if we get outbidded? I'll feel bad, but we'll find somewhere else. But I'll still feel bad. I can't handle this.

I'm going to knock dh's head off, over the phone, when he finally calls me back.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

Could you get an idea of a reasonable offer from the realtor?

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Sigh.

This is the hard part. We were going to bid low-650. The list price is 729. The realtor thought this was very low, but we didn't think we'd be up against anyone, so we thought we'd at least try it.

Well, now we're up against someone, so we don't want to go that low. We said our limit would be 680. I'm wondering if we should just go in at 680 and then call it a day if they don't take it. But the truth is, we're approved for much, much higher than this, and I'm tempted to go up to 700. I guess we could go in at 680 and always move up a little smidge if we need to. But I don't want to just go in at 680 without talking to dh, because this morning we were still thinking 650. We've been on the same page with everything up until now, so I think he'll agree with the 680, but I really need him involved in this. Besides, the realtor said we have up to 24 hours. I'm just being silly and emotional right now.

Meanwhile, I sit here and inhale my neighbor's cigarette smoke and listen to dh's voice mail message over and over and wish I could just black out and leave this feeling behind until it's all over. Not even HGTV is helping. That's when you know it's bad.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2009

Do what we did.

Just lowball every single house in the area until the realtors are so sick of you that they want to take up a collection to buy you a house just so that they don't have to deal with you anymore.

I'm not sure, but I don't see a whole lot of bidding wars going on this the current climate, even where you live.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Do you know where hubby is staying? If so call him there. Maybe his phone isn't working. Over Easter break I flew from Michigan to Arizona. I was suppose to call my Mom when I landed so she could pick me up. Well, my phone wouldn't work. Good thing they had a sign in the cell phone lot that let people know when flights land! I had to reprogram my phone to a new cell tower. When I flew home, I had the same problem, phone wouldn't work. As it was 1 a.m. my hubby sent my 13 yr. old into the airport to get me as he was the only one night in pj's! I ended up having to get a new phone as a result!

7. glen

glen Companion

Jul 9, 2009

Be aware of the amounts that mortgage brokers will approve you for. Just because they say you can afford it, doesn't mean you can afford it comfortably. We were always approved for way more than we felt good about. Brokers don't take into account eating and other daily living expenses, eventually having children, etc.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Ooooooook! I got ahold of dh, and we just put our offer in to the realtor. She's going to type it up for us to review and then we'll send it in. Whew. I feel SO much better. Even if we don't get it, at least we had the chance to put the offer in. We decided to go low at 655. We're making it super easy on them and not asking for anything. We're also going to work on writing a 'character letter' tonight, talking about how I'm a teacher and we're part of the community, etc. We'll see! Our realtor is asking to be kept in the conversation, so hopefully we'll at least get a counter and they won't just automatically go with the other person.

Prayers are appreciated!

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Absolutely. We were approved for way more than we would ever spend. We're very conscious of what can do each month, and that's what we're sticking to.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 9, 2009

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way! I know how anxious you feel. The day after we made an offer on this house (my dream house), I woke up with a rash covering my entire body!!!

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Deep breaths Jem! This will all be fine. Prayers going out for you now!

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

Jem~keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!!

13. yostie

yostie Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

I didn't read all the other posts, but as a former real estate agent, I can tell you that your agent may not be telling the truth. Obviously I can't say that for sure, but knowing the business, that's my guess. A lot of times they use that as a way to motivate you to get going. The longer they deal with you, the more they want to push you into something. They're in this to make money. They throw out this "bidding war" line to get you to write higher (the higher they sell the house for, the bigger their commission) or to get you to bite the bullet.

I wouldn't worry too much. If you want to write on it, do, but don't do it because of this "other offer." If its meant to be, it will be. I really believe that.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 9, 2009

Jem-buying a house is one of the hardest things to do as a couple. First, finding a house and an area that you both agree on is enough to make you question singledom! Then, the wading through the applications, offers, paperwork, etc... and the first time is even worse because you have no idea what to expect and what things are normal to ask for/be asked for. Take deep breaths and don't focus on one house (this is really tough I know). Sending you good vibes!

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

Good Luck Jem! Can't wait to hear what happens!! Good news I hope! :)

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Thanks, guys!

yotsie-isn't that illegal? If that's the case, how you can trust anything? Is there a way to find out for sure? I'm glad we stuck low. I probably won't be glad if we loose it, but right now, I'm glad. I wrote a letter about us and how we would be great for the house, etc. We'll see if that helps!

To Whom It May Concern:

My husband and I have visited your home several times, both through open houses and evening visits with our realtor, and we have absolutely fallen in love with it. We are excited to extend an offer and begin a conversation with you.

As an educator, I’m so excited to be within S A’s school district. While I have a position as a private teacher at the moment, I do hope to someday join the education community in the S A District, and this home would be ideal.

The location of S A will also allow my husband to bike to his office in S each morning, where he works on the Mini Cooper advertising account. On the weekends, he would have instant access to all of the beautiful mountain bike trails in F and beyond.

The detached room in the backyard is perfect for our organization, Sprout Classrooms. We help retiring teachers recycle their classroom supplies, and then match these supplies up with new teachers who need them. Our organization is completely green, helps to support sustainability in the classroom and is growing so fast we can hardly keep up with it! The extra room in both the detached room and basement will allow us to help more teachers than ever before.

Walking through the rooms and yard at XXX S A, we can only imagine the history of the home and all the memories that have been made there. We would love to join in, bringing our own memories and future family to add to the collection. Please know we would take beautiful care of the home and yard, and extend a hand of friendship and joy to the neighborhood.

Jem and dh

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

I would sell you my house. Jem, if it is meant to be, you will get the house.

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Aw, thanks, Blue. She sent me the sellers' names, though, and I don't remember 'Blue' as part of them. ;) Tooooooo bad.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2009

Jem, I'll keep my fingers crossed and you & DH in my prayers. Beautiful letter!

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

That is a great letter and I'd definitely sell you my house!

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2009

But if they don't sell the house at all, they get zero. They make their money by selling lots of houses, not by jacking up the prices.

Jem has one big advantage that home buyers get only once in a lifetime and that's that she can make an offer with no contingencies. Much of the time, when a person is selling a house, they'll get offers that are contingent on the buyer being able to sell their existing home. This exponentially increases the chance of the deal falling through while in escrow. If I were a seller, especially today, I'd be inclined to accept a lower offer free of contingencies rather than a higher one that might fall through.

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Yes, Sarge, that's what we're hoping. I told the realtor not to ask for closing costs, warranties, etc. I want a really clean, smooth offer. Like 'Look at us! We're easy, simple buyers! We just want to throw our money at you and take the key! But we want it at 10% off.....' I'm hoping we're up against somebody with terrible credit, no down payment, an abrasive realtor and bad breath.

Please, God, please.

I'll keep you guys updated. We're stagnant at the moment. Dh has to sign the offer, so he has to find a way to fax it from Chicago to our realtor me, and then I have to meet up with her tomorrow morning to give it to her. And then we wait. We've given them 48 hours from the time we send in the offer officially.

23. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

Good luck Jem!

24. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

Best wishes to you, the waiting game is the worse. Jem, I am sure that he will get it faxed to you. When I bought my house, one of the sisters who was selling the house lived out of town. So she faxed everything that had to be signed.

25. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

I must have missed something - what is the letter for?

Are you at least planning on having the house inspected? We were saved a huge nightmare several houses ago when we saw the results of our inspection.

Good luck with your offer.

26. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Good luck, Jem! I know how incredibly stressful finding a house can be. If your offer has not been set in, I would STRONGLY encourage you to at least ask for a home inspection. Without it, you could be buying a lemon that could be nothing but heartache down the road. The interior/exterior appearance of the house looks great from your photos.. I would just be cautious of the "structural" aspects such as the concrete, shingles, electrical, plumbing, etc. Again, good luck!

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

I know it differs throughout the country.

But NO ONE around here would dream of buying a house without an inspection performed by a licensed inspector. (No "dad will take a look at the roof" stuff.)

Jem, that's probably the best piece of advice you can get.

28. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

Definitely get a house inspection.

29. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

Oh yes. We have an inspection contingency. We are also having a lawyer look over the paperwork. Momma didn't raise no fool over here! ;)

(although we got a copy of the disclosures and they look great....)

30. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

Where I live you can't even sell a house without an inspection. They're really picky about building codes and if something not up to code, it has to be fixed.

Example: I have a ceiling fan I installed myself. I used the existing box instead of replacing it with a steel one. When I sell my house, I'll probably have to remove the ceiling fan or replace the box. They're that picky.

31. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

I know what you mean, Sarge - I shudder at the thought of selling our house, because I know we have multiple situations like that!

32. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

Ok. Offer is officially in. I've done a good job not thinking about it this morning, as I did an inventory pick-up and went to Target. But now I'm home, and I HAVE to keep myself busy-watch for lots of Sprout updates. ;) Apparently there are two other offers in at the moment, which is not good news. We went in so low, and our realtor thinks they have already started to counter the other offers, which probably isn't good for us. But you never know! I'm keeping the faith! But I'm also looking at other open houses this weekend...

33. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

Best wishes Jem! The waiting is so tough. Smart idea though to look at other places. Although this one looks perfect, in a bidding war it might not be so perfect anymore.

34. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

Thanks, MsMar! I got word back from the realtor. Looks like we all came in around the same number! I thought for sure we would be MUCH lower than everyone else-it's good to know we're not the only 'bargain' shoppers out there. ;) Apparently we all have things are desirable to them, in different ways. The sellers are going to counter-offer to everyone and give us all a chance to come back again. I'm curious to see what number they throw out. If everyone is offering this low, then maybe they will realize they are a bit high, and they will start to come down. Or maybe they will play chicken and see who really wants it and is willing to come up to their level. The realtor and I agreed this morning that their asking price is too high for the house, so I think they really do need to come down. But they have an open house this weekend, which might bring in another offer that is higher. It's such a game. As nerve-racking as it is, I do love it. Should be very interesting. I still don't know what the other offers were for, but I'm glad we went in low. We still have a bit of room before we have to drop out.

Hopefully we'll hear back by tomorrow evening. Apparently they are in Mexico right now, but they are still in contact with their realtor. We'll see!

35. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

Nice to hear you're still in the running! Come to a decision about what you're comfortable spending on the house and then see what happens. Sometimes it's not the highest offer who gets it, but the ones with a good offer and a good pre-approval. The last thing a seller wants is for an offer to fall through because of an issue with the buyer's ability to get a mortgage. And sometimes who you like will play a role, which is why the character letter is a great thing to do (can't hurt, might help).

36. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

If you show all your cards........ you lose...... and even if you get the property you want you may have left 20-40 thousand dollars (or more) on the table.

Sorry but I haven't read all the replies.... Just got back from several days in the back country..........:p:p:p

37. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

We do have a 'cap-out' number. I told my realtor I do NOT want to pushed on that. When we went to buy our car, we had x amount of cash and agreed not to go over. Of course, the dealer held firm at $200 above that number. We drove around for 3 hours before going back to buy it. I DON'T want to have to make that decision with the house, so I told to not even push it. We can go up to x amount, and that's it. Although it will kill me if someone gets it for just above that number. Oh, well. Everyone has their stopping point. Hopefully we can get it for that price or below! I think it's a pretty reasonable number, and we did turn in our 'character letter', so now it's in their hands!

38. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

How on earth did I miss a thread by Jem titled ANXIETY! LOL!!

Okay, someone said there were pictures...where are they? DId you post them Jem?

Glad you got a hold of your husband...for his sake. Haha.

39. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

Ha, lemonhead! I'm so thankful for my friends on here. My parents are SICK of hearing about this place, and dh is busy with work in Chicago right now. Bunny doesn't really show much enthusiasm. It's so nice to be able to come and rant and rave and be crazy here.

Here's a link to the original thread with pictures. Sigh. There are so many emotions when I see these pictures. I think I'll have a love/hate relationship with this place if we do get it.

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=89055

40. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

Jem,

I absolutely love it! Like Knitter said, it is YOU, from what I can tell. If I was going to picture a house for you it would be this.

How old is it? It is decorated so cute.

Love it!

41. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

Are you ready for the age??

100 years old!!!!

I love that it has a history like that, yet looks so cute and new.