Anxiety

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by car724, Jul 17, 2016.

1. car724

car724 New Member

Jul 17, 2016

I just got a job as a third grade teacher and this will be my first year. I was really excited but now the anxiety is starting to set in and I'm terrified. I have anxiety problems as it is, in fact it's the reason I didn't teach last year. It can be debilitating. I know deep down that I have all the ability, just not enough confidence. I just keep thinking... do I have any idea what I'm doing? Does anyone know what they're doing their first year? I'm scared that I won't be able to handle it. I've heard of teachers crying and barely making it through their first year, but I'm worried about my anxiety and depression which of course will make the stress of teaching even more difficult to handle. And I have it in my head that maybe I'm not cut out for this, even though it's what I've always wanted to do and everyone who knows me says I'll be great. Student teaching went great. So I don't know why I'm like this. Looking for reassurance and advice. :(

3. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 17, 2016

Someone believed in you enough to hire you...they know you can do it!

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2016

1. Set and practice procedures and HAMMER DOWN management!
    2. Build and establish the classroom community. The kids have to know you care about them and they need to care about each other.
    3. Then work on instruction.
    4. Multiplication and division are HUGE! As soon as you can get those kids mastering their facts the better shape you'll be in.

You CANNOT teach the kids if they don't feel the love in the room. Seriously!

I love teaching third grade. They are such an interesting group.T hey're still so young, passionate and enthusiastic. But they're also "growing up", so they're constantly questioning "Why do I need to do this?" "Why does that happen?" "Why?" And I had one that acted really tough (he had an 8th grade brother,) but he was the smallest kid in the class and still couldn't tie his shoes. They're all bark, but no real bite. If they have any crappy learned behaviors, NOW'S the time to nip them in the bud! Third grade is a big year for them so they need to be 100% focused on learning. You HAVE to provide opportunities for talking, movement and hands - on learning. These (most) kids DON'T learn from worksheets or lecture. God I wish teachers would learn that. My kids were so much more well behaved when they could get their hands moving in the lessons. That's key to keeping them focused and engaged!

Third grade was also my first class so I'm here if you have any questions.

:):peacesign:

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2016

You can do this. I love 3rd graders, too, and find that they are perhaps more receptive than any other age group. They will want to love you and learn from you. Treat your anxiety, though, as you should anyway. Consult your doctor and accept that it is just a medical conditon that you can moderate.

6. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Jul 18, 2016

I'm also a new 3rd grade teacher this year. You'll do great, a lot of my teacher friends who have been teaching for a long time say every year you learn something new. I'm always here to chat.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2016

Does it ever help you to tell yourself that, in a particular situation, your anxiety is normal for you? I ask because, in this situation, it would not be abnormal for someone who has anxiety to feel anxious. Hugs to you. And I'm with Upsadaisy: do what you generally do to manage your anxiety.

8. car724

car724 New Member

Jul 23, 2016

Thanks so much, you guys! I am feeling a little better now. I know that I can't possibly have it all figured out as a brand new teacher, as much as I want to. I agree that procedures and establishing a a classroom community is everything! I do think some of my anxiety is normal, as I'm sure all new teachers go in a little scared. I just hope I can manage it and not let it be my downfall, because I know I have the ability to be a good teacher.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 23, 2016

If problems with anxiety and depression intensify, please seek help sooner rather than later. I believe that you showed great potential, or you wouldn't have this job, remember that. However, anxiety and depression, left untreated, can make all your worst fears come true. If your doctor already knows about this and is in charge of any treatment, make sure you are very honest with him so that you two can be a great team, making your teaching dreams a pleasant reality.

Review these essentials, and I bet you will say, "Oh, I know that."
    https://www.teachingchannel.org/blo...-new-teachers/?utm_source=newsletter20160723/

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  10. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jul 24, 2016

Being nervous is good; it's part of our natural brain function. I've been teaching for a long time, and I still feel nervous the first day of school. It's OK if the students notice you are nervous. They'll understand, and more than likely, they have the first day jitters, too. For me, the more I smile, the better I feel.

11. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 11, 2016

I think once you get before them and get a routine down the anxiety will dissipate. Walking around your room helps too. I know it helped me. It's all the unknowns that are causing you this anxiety.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2016

Lots of great advice here! I really think it's important to keep a handle on the fact that some of your students may be feeling the same way and they look at you to get them through. Some of what I do in the classroom requires "acting" skills on my part because I'm not always feeling it but my kids don't get to know that. Best to you!

13. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2016

Hope you're doing well, OP!

14. Bo C

Bo C Rookie

Aug 23, 2016

Great advice in this room! I would also add one quick piece of advice: Don't forget about your life outside of teaching. Especially as a new teacher, it's easy to get caught up in all the planning, grading, evaluating, decorating, etc. However, maintaining strong relationships with family and friends and taking the time to exercise or enjoy hobbies is essential for balance and peace of mind. It helps keep your passion for teaching well from taking over every waking second of your day :). Best of luck to you!