Anxiety

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LMichele, Mar 23, 2014.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Mar 23, 2014

Does anyone here suffer from anxiety? Mine seems to come and go every few months, but is getting more frequent lately. I a m not good at coping with it on my own, so I may look into finding a therapist.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 23, 2014

I've always been a little high strung. A few months ago my doctor put me on Effexor XR for menopause symptoms, and I have become a new person. She's even kept me on it since my hysterectomy.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

I have anxiety. I see a therapist. He's a LPC. I've been seeing him since 2010.

5. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Mar 23, 2014

I have had three anxiety attacks in the last week. I had never had one before, so it was quite a shock. My best friend has had them for years. I focused on my breathing when mine occurred. I told myself the air coming in was a bright yellow. As I inhaled I imagined in going all the way down to where the anxiety was based. I imagined it circling around the anxiety and turning black. As I exhaled I imagined the black air coming out and floating away.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2014

I don't have anxiety problems ... but I workout and jog on a regular basis. I also strongly believe in "deep breathing" exercises.... Take a look at this link...

http://socialanxietydisorder.about.com/od/copingwithsad/qt/breathing.htm

"How to practice diaphragmatic breathing

Find a quiet place free of distractions. Lie on the floor or recline in a chair, loosen any tight clothing and remove glasses or contacts. Rest your hands in your lap or on the arms of the chair.

Place one hand on your upper chest and the other hand on your stomach. Inhale, taking a deep breath from your abdomen as you count to three. As you inhale you should feel your stomach rise up. The hand on your chest should not move.

After a short pause, slowly exhale while counting to three. Your stomach should fall back down as you exhale.

Continue this pattern of rhythmic breathing for five to ten minutes."

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 24, 2014

I take Effector as well. It has changed my life. I also take Adderol to keep me from sleeping too much. It took about 2 years to get the meds correct and working.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 24, 2014

Me.
    Effexor XR. I definitely like myself better on Effexor.

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2014

Massively, it certainly seems, and throughout my daily life. It keeps me from believing in myself, too. However, after having seen a counselor before (during college) and taking some anti-depressant meds and having it not do much (but change my general personality enough that my now-wife heavily noticed), I just can't convince myself to go down that road again. Rather, I just try to manage it the best I can.

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2014

Prozac and Lamictal--I am a tyrant when I am off my meds!!

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 24, 2014

I've been on Paxil for 9 years. Won't go off until I retire, if then. It has helped me tremendously in controlling my anxiety and panic attacks.
    Major is correct too, when I exercise I feel even that much better!!

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 24, 2014

Celexa. I made it a year without it but last spring was so stressful, I had to go back on it just to make it til summer break. I just stay on it now.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 25, 2014

Oh man, I was on Lamictal for 5 weeks September-October 2007. Worst weeks of my life. I got full body muscle and joint pain that was just an incredible amount of pain. Neurologist said it was an undocumented side effect and refused to believe it was the Lamictal until all of the blood tests proving it wasn't lyme/JRA/anything else came back, then I was taken off of it cold-turkey and put on another anti-seizure med.

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2014

I take it because it is a combination drug that helps with my anxiety and my migraines. I have been on it for 2 years and it has helped more than the gabapentin that I was on for my migraines before.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 25, 2014

Ooh, neurontin. That's supposed to be an interesting one.

My brother's on Buspar for anxiety and Topamax for migraines.

I'm on Depakote ER and Keppra. I think some preliminary studies have shown that Keppra helps with anxiety, but I haven't noticed anything.