Anxiety Over Teaching

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by WarriorPrncss, Jul 22, 2015.

1. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jul 22, 2015

Okay... so...

I am a new teacher... I planned to be a teacher since I was a child and while I took the scenic route getting my credential (I decided to be a Probation Officer and after almost 3 years decided I still wanted to be a teacher and I've finished currently completed 1/3 of my credential program.)

My program has a "Teaching Intern" option-- if you find a job, great, if not you student teach. I student taught my first semester and found a teaching position for the coming school year.

In January my appendix burst and, I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but from then on I've had bad anxiety. I've always been mildly anxious, but never so bad that I was constantly jittery and had panic attacks at least once a week.

These past 7 months have been a crazy roller coaster including school, work, medical issues... and when I got my teaching position I was SO excited, but now that I'm setting up my classroom and everything I have this almost constant anxiety and sense of impending doom. Despite knowing I CAN teach, I am SO stressed and so anxious about actually starting that I feel as if being stuck by lightening is a more real possibility than my career as a teacher actually happening.

I've been to counseling and finally got so bad that I agreed to see a doctor about medication. I've slowly improved over the past few months, but with the start of school fast approaching I'm getting awful breakthrough anxiety and....

.... I guess I am just looking for some advice or some assurance that it's not that scary...

I am normally a really level headed person and deep down I know everything will be fine, but I cannot seem to pull that feeling to the surface.

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 22, 2015

You will be fine. Everyone has some anxiety before a new job...and I do even at the beginning of the school year. Find a mentor. Watch your peers and find someone that you feel comfortable asking help from. And just because the school assigns someone, doesn't mean that you have to stick with them. If they don't feel like a good fit go to your administrator and ask for a switch.

The hardest part for me is that I want everything perfect. I compare myself to everyone else and I always come out lacking. GOOD LUCK. And remember we are all here for you.

4. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jul 22, 2015

Thanks. I am very fortunate in that I have a great 4th grade team. I am comfortable with all of them and one in particular who has been there for awhile has been nothing but supportive and helpful. I am very fortunate in that respect. I think the first day of school terrifies me the most!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2015

Keep telling yourself that on day 1 you have the upper hand, even if you never have it again. You will be the one directing traffic, calling all of the shots, telling students where to sit (and they will go there), introducing all the wonderful ideas that you have for the school year, and telling them how wonderful you expect them all to be. I like to give them a scaled down version of a Multiple Intellegences Test, so that when tallied, no names, they can see that everyone has different interests, strengths, and talents, something they might want to remember as groups are assigned for a variety of projects throughout the year.

First day is the best day of the year - they are primed to love you, and you haven't been exasperated with any of them yet. Be yourself, give them a reason to adore you, and you are set for the year. Enjoy!

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 22, 2015

Ha! What a great way to put it.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2015

I'm glad you have sought out help. Might be a coincidence, but were you put on any meds after the surgery that could cause anxiety?

I have also read about post surgery depression that seems to affect some people and can last for months.That, coupled with normal anxiety about a new job might explain some of your symptoms.

However, I agree with the others that when you step into the classroom you will be in charge and things will happen naturally. Have a great year!

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 23, 2015

Plan some fun stuff for that first day of school... feed off the kids enthusiasm and positive energy. I think when you can make it more fun, it makes you take things less serious... kind of like when people make public speeches--they put humor in there at the beginning--the crowd laughs--and you (the anxious speaker) become more relaxed as a result.

Same concept IMO.