Anxiety in my first placement...

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by shoreline02, Jan 21, 2010.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jan 21, 2010

I just begun my first placement...today was the 3rd day I was there. I am having really bad anxiety about this placement. My teacher complained how her last student teacher was not good and only got a B, which we all know is NOT good in teaching. She was also complaining how bad the librarian is and the one substitute she had the other day. I have yet to hear her say one good thing about any teacher. She herself is teaching this 3rd grade class, two courses at a local community college for spec. ed, AND she is trying to get her doctorate. She has been teaching for over 20 years and I get no say in what I do, where I start, or anything. I have to do a unit for an assignment and I asked to do social studies and she blurted no, you're doing poetry for your unit. I LOVE teaching, it means everything to me, and I will be graduating in May. But this placement causes me so much anxiety about not doing things right. I almost feel like she is going to be very hard to please. The issue is not that I won't do it right, but its more about not doing what she wants and the way she wants it. I can barely sleep at night because everything I have to do keeps running through my head each night. I sometimes get sick to my stomach when I think about taking over the whole classroom and having her critique and review every move I make.
    I already did my professional experience and taught in a first grade classroom for seven weeks and I had a tremendous experience. I walked out of that school knowing that teaching was what I was born to do. Maybe I'm just overreacting. :unsure:
    *Takes a deep breath*

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

That deep breath is the best advice out there.
    Over the course of your career you can expect to work for and with a wide variety of people. Read the posts here. Some principals are incredibly demanding, others far less so. Some department chairs demand perfection, others seem to barely know who is in their department.

Having to do the poetry unit isn't a bad thing-- it will expand your horizons and push you out of your comfort zone. (Just keep a copy for next year, and one for your portfolio.)

It sounds as though this cooperating teacher will push you to be the very best you can be, and then some.

Next year, when you're all by yourself except for 30 2nd graders, you may thank her.
    Varied experience is what you want, and apparently what you're going to get.

4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jan 21, 2010

Thanks, that kind of does make me feel better. I guess I am just more nervous then anything.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

Of course you're nervous.. we would be concerned if you weren't. This is scary stuff.

But think of the wonderful work you'll do because you know you HAVE to. Think of the lessons you'll be able to include in your portfolio, the lessons you'll be able to talk about in interviews.

This will be a GOOD thing if you make it one!

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 21, 2010

Hugs! It is just the beginning! I am in the same boat- my first week too. I have incredible behaviors in my room and I am very excited, but very nervous about it as well. Luckily we have atoz and lots of other student teachers here on board as well! I have already been able to step in and do some things as well as have my own small group during centers. During these week take in everything your CT has to say and just keep asking questions- when she tells you these negative comments ask her about that, so you don't make the same mistakes and so that you can learn from it and hopefully grow from it as well. My teacher must be going crazy I ask her everything the most basic things to whatever. You should def be asking questions. Good luck!

7. TXTeacher2Be

TXTeacher2Be Rookie

Jan 21, 2010

I don't have any advice for you, but just wanted to say...I'm nervous too!!! If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me. By the way, I'm doing a poetry unit, too. Maybe we can share ideas :).

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2010

I have a ST in my room and I am trying to do everything to make sure she does not feel lke you are feeling, sorry to say. I want her 100% comfortable and have iven her full reigns. It is her student teaching experience and she gets to create everything and do it all her way,because this is her time and we only get our student teaching experience once. My CT only let me teach on the days I was being observed when I student taught and I felt so cheated out of my experience. I refuse to let my ST to have that same experience. I love havin her in my room and we et along so well. I am trying to talk her into trying for a position next year because our school is looking for teachers...

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2010

Relax and you'll be fine.
    Keep the positive attitude and remember all the good times.
    Rebel1

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 21, 2010

Make sure you have a daily meeting to assess and reflect on the day. Take notes and ask if she would be kind enough to take notes as she observes you. It sounds like she knows enough to know when you honestly want to learn from her.

Also, bear in mind that you WILL have bad days and you WILL feel overwhelmed. I wanted to throttle my cooperating teacher at times for pushing me to the point of tears. Five years later, we are friends and continue to share teaching tips. It's all part of the process.

11. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Jan 23, 2010

Like others said, think of this as experience. You don't know where you'll be teaching and what grade level you'll have next year. If you are teaching in a self contained classroom, you will have to teach poetry anyway. (your CT probably doesn't like to teach this unit so she's giving it to you!)

Look for the positives and you'll be fine!

12. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jan 23, 2010

Ya, I don't mind teaching poetry at all. My point was simply that I didn't have a choice in any of it. Thank you everyone for your comments.

13. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jan 23, 2010

Sounds like the head teacher is juggling too many things under her plate. However, I would get daily feedback from her on how you're doing so that you and her are on the same page.