Anxiety dreams! Don't you love them?!?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by iteachm123, Jul 3, 2008.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

To make a long story short, I decided to go back to teaching after trying to be a stay-at-home Mommy to my 2 little boys. I talked to my former principal and he wants me to come back there and I am so excited, but I don't know what grade level I will have yet. He wants me in kindergarten but isn't sure there will be an opening and he's talked about 3rd as well. Last night I had an anxiety dream about teaching kindergarten. He was the scenario:

I walk into my classroom and in comes a herd of children on the first day of school. But, the principal decided that we should start back on July 20th and I wasn't informed of this! I walk into my kindergarten room and the room is already decorated by my colleague who new of the new start date for school. I'm not dressed appropriately, my hair is a mess, and my face is oily. :eek: My little kindergarteners are coming in but their older siblings are staying for the day with them! So, now I have a room full of kids of all ages! Everything is in chaos and I try to sit them all down in a circle on the floor so we can do morning meeting (Yes, I've been reading "the First Six Weeks of School") but they won't listen. Everything I learned in the book to do on the first day of school goes right out the window! What a day! And one more thing...my room is on the other side of the wall from the principal's office so he can hear everything.

I was a nervous wreck and sooooo glad it was a dream! :eek:hmy:

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

I hate those dreams! I always wake up and say, "Thank God!" lol

4. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

Yeah, I hate those kind of dreams. I used to have them when I was in college around midterms and finals. Because the tests were so spaced out a lot of times you would only have one per day or one really early in the morning and the other a couple hours after lunch. So I would take a nap, but I would dream that I woke up so late that I had missed the exam and therefore flunked the class. I'd wake up (in real life) anxious and confused looking frantically for my clock.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 4, 2008

Those dreams are the worst! I'm in your boat, as an almost-first-year teacher :)

6. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 4, 2008

I don't have anxiety dreams per se ... that is to say, I may start out having an anxiety dream but my personality drives me to resolve the problem.

I woke up yesterday morning clutching my pillow, feeling intensely irritated, and bellowing, "Fry those chops over medium low heat until the internal temperature is 170! ONE-SEVENTY! NOT 70! 70 is raw! ARE WE SERVING RAW MEAT? ARE WE RUNNING A SUSHI KITCHEN? HAS SOMEONE CHANGED THE MENU?"

7. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

Here's an update: my same anxiety dream continued last night! This time, it was the same school setting, same classroom, but older kids. I kept getting interruped by a principal I used to have a few years ago. I didn't really care for her as a principal so you can imagine how "thrilled" I was everytime she came in my classroom in my dream. Also, I walked out into the hallway and a middle school age girl was smoking so I took her to the principal and he told me to take her to a teacher on the 4th floor. I keep walking past the teacher's room and forgot to take her in there. I did this I don't know how many times!

I pray I find out soon what grade level I will be teaching. I think this is why I'm having these dreams.

8. ILikeEnglish

ILikeEnglish Rookie

Jul 4, 2008

I hear you, iteachm123. I sometimes have recurring dreams very similar to what you are describing. I call them my fear of failure dreams. It's really something how the mind works, isn't it? I think you are right, when you find out what you need to know the dreams will probably subside. Do let us know. By the way, these dreams have stayed dreams and have not happened in real life - thank God!

9. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 4, 2008

I have those type of dreams during the summer. It always involves me going back to school thinking it's a work day, only to have my room full of anxious students and parents and all my stuff still in boxes. :eek:

I will be teaching Kindergarten this next year. My most recent dream included a fire drill the first five minutes on the first day of school. I didn't even know how many kids I was supposed to have and then I realized since I was in a new building, I didn't even know where to take them. Meanwhile, all the kids were running around the room screaming.:eek:

Thankfully, I know I am always well prepared on the first day and I just take these dreams as a sign to continue to be on my toes:lol:

10. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 5, 2008

:eek: I'm glad to know it isn't just me. I will be in a trailer this year, and I have had so many dreams about someone hooking my trailer up to their truck and hauling it off. Sometimes we are actually in the trailer, sometimes we aren't. And they take us to CRAZY places--like the local jail, or to my dog's vet, or to Braves stadium. They are driving me bonkers!! :help:

11. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I used to have dreams about being in high school all over again. I always lose my schedule, I can never get my locker open, I can never find my classrooms, and I'm sitting in last chair in band and the band director tells me that I'm horrible and should just quit. I haven't had one of those dreams in a while, thank goodness. Now my anxiety dreams are about me in school, but teaching instead of being a student.

12. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 6, 2008

My favorite recurring dream (hah!) is the one where my classroom is moved and I can't get on campus until the day school starts, so I am looking for my room and arrive late and the kids are wild.

The other reoccuring dream is something like I have to get upstairs in the school and the stairs start getting bigger and bigger until there are huge gaps and I have to somehow jump the gaps and climb up to the next step and do it all over again. Wonder what that means!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2008

This sounds like my anxiety dreams as well--can't find my schedule, can't find my classroom, can't remember my combination, and can't dial phone numbers properly.