Anxiety and less sleep

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MathGuy82, May 20, 2017.

1. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

May 20, 2017

I know it's almost the end! We have made it! But man my 6 hour nights and thinking about the next day have been making my anxiety go through the roof. Anybody else in the same boat? I like teaching but I don't like the anxiety! This is my fourth year full time at a school I'm working at and within the last couple of months my anxiety has been out of place. Either when I drive home or after I get out of bed. Do any of you experience this? Or am I a loner? Either way it's okay! We are almost done with the year! I feel this irrational dread and I think thoughts about everything I have ever done wrong to anyone and feel guilty. My grandpa fought in world war II and has anxiety still at the age of 94 at times. Maybe this is genetic? I don't know but I don't want to go to a doctor and get prescribed something. I know this sounds odd but it's true.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 20, 2017

I know you don't want to see a Dr but if your anxiety is affecting your daily life (it sounds like it is), it might be time to get some professional help. You may not need to go on meds...there are other, more natural ways to treat anxiety. No one should have to live like that when alternatives are out there. Good luck!

Obadiah, MathGuy82 and MissCeliaB like this.
  4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 20, 2017

I used to have awful anxiety. Turns out, it was a symptom of high blood pressure. Once my doctor got my blood pressure evened out, my anxiety was much better. My doctor was also able to give me some good strategies for dealing with anxiety that are not meds. Best decision I ever made!

Obadiah and MathGuy82 like this.
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 20, 2017

Worrying fixes nothing. See a doctor. There are a lot of non-medication options out there. People who wouldn't hesitate to take medication for issues like high blood pressure or arthritis will balk at anxiety medication. I don't understand that. Get your life back.

6. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

May 21, 2017

Thanks for the replies and help

Last edited: May 21, 2017