Anxiety about subbing

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by anewstart101, Jan 21, 2010.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jan 21, 2010

Okay I do not like the idea of subbing in a different place every day????

How did u get over that?

Stephanie

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

The more experience you get, the more comfortable you feel in front of the class, regardless. I subbed at several different schools in my district last year, but got called by some of the schools several times, so by Christmas, I had gotten to know the kids fairly well there.

As for the other schools, I just let the students know up front that I wouldn't tolerate disruptions in the class and things went fairly smoothly.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2010

I am completely the same way; I hate having to go to a different place each day and the "unknown" that you constantly face while subbing.

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

I pretty much sub at two districts. So, I know the basic school routines, rules, and schedules. However, I find jobs on Aesop to sub for teachers whose classrooms I haven't been in before.

I try to look at it as a new adventure, a chance to meet some new kids, and an opportunity to learn.

6. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

I get the same way. The school district I'm at has 5 high schools, 8 middle schools, and 32 elementary schools. You can get comfortable with addressing students and not get nervous, but in the school district I'm in, you're not going to see the same students.

Going into a new school, new classroom, and not knowing what to expect is tough. Going to the same school, the same classroom, and seeing the same exact kids everyday is easier than walking into the unknown.

Just a helpful tip: Don't sub seniors in high school at the end of the school year. They don't care about anything at that point except getting out of high school.

7. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 21, 2010

I felt the exact same way when I first started subbing (which by the way, was only a couple months ago)!! You will get used to it. You need to just be confident and take comfort in the fact that you are a good teacher, and know what you are doing. :)

The first thing I do when I meet the students is introduce myself, and tell them that I have just a couple of rules. I expect them all to abide by their school and classroom rules, as I am familiar with them and I know the consequences. If the teacher does not have an attention getting signal written in the plans...I will introduce my own to the class at that time, and practice it with them. Sometimes I will introduce it in addition to what the teacher has and tell the students that I may use either to get their attention.

I've noticed when I don't introduce myself this way, the class isn't as attentive. They need to know that you are the boss, and that there will be consequences for any bad behavior. So, be consistent and confident. Kids can tell when you don't know what you are doing and they will call you on it.

You will be fine! :)

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

A little bit of a hijack here....

This part of your comment made me laugh a little bit. :blush: Our district has 213 elementary schools, 59 middle schools, 48 high schools, 24 alternative schools, and 8 special schools. You definitely won't see the same students very often unless you regularly sub in the same few schools.

9. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

One gets more comfortable and confident over time. I noticed that in my 2nd year of subbing - I just really felt it all of a sudden, with a comfort level that I didn't have when starting out.

It also helps to do repeated assignments at the same schools, which I have been doing. I since started covering 2 new school districts, at different grade levels than I had before - in those assignments, I still have a bit of stage fright or nervousness before starting, but once I start class, I'm "on" and forget about my anxiety.

10. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 21, 2010

It takes time, and you learn every day, no matter how often you have subbed. I still get nervous even though I have been subbing for almost a year. Best wishes!

11. azure

azure Companion

Jan 21, 2010

WHERE IS THAT?!?!?! Does one superintendent oversee all that?

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2010

Whe I 1st starting subbing, it did feel strange, but you get used to it. I definitely prefer long-term assignments that last for months so I don't have to worry about who's going to call me each day & I'll know the routine. I'm so blessed to have done numerous long-term assignments, a few lasting the entire school year for speech for the SLPs.

13. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Jan 24, 2010

I'm having trouble with the lack of routine, as well. All of your comments and suggestions were very encouraging. I've been lucky to bond with a teacher that is serving on a committee that is meeting a lot this year for a program re-certification. I am in here room almost once a week, so it's been a nice "home base." I sweat it the rest of the week, though - It feels like the first day of school everyday:unsure: I'll try a lot of your suggestions, I'm sure they'll help.

14. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 24, 2010

I didn't like it at first, but now I'm starting to enjoy it. I get to see different places, and if a class is really out of control, I don't have to go back. It also gives me a chance to experiment in ways that my own classroom would not.

Within the lack of routine, you can still set your own. Not in terms of going to the same place at the same time every day, but certainly once you get there, you can do things your own way.

15. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jan 24, 2010

As big as Cassie's district is, Los Angeles' is even bigger....

I, too, really dislike being in a new class everyday. I have subbed for nearly four years and still haven't got used to it.

16. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 25, 2010

This is akin to public speaking, use your nervous energy to be the best you can be. Let the butterflies fly in formation. Let your anxiety work for you.