Anxiety about going back - normal?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 2, 2009

I head back to school 1/5, after being off for two wonderful weeks. I am really dreading going back, and my school-related nightmares have returned. I didn't hate my job when we left for Christmas, but now I feel like I do. :unsure:What happened? Is this normal? I'm thinking about the two parent conferences I have coming up, report cards to do, quarterly assessments to administer...the whole 9 yards. Maybe I'm having a difficult transition, since I went home for the whole two weeks (and it had been almost a year.)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2009

How long have you had school nightmares? You say you didn't hate your job before break, but did you like it? Sure, you've got a lot coming up- pace yourself, you'll get it all done...Hopefully you've had a chance to relax, refresh and rejuvenate over the break. Start with some great ideas for the first week- what do you love teaching? What gets you excited? That would be a good place to start.

4. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

I think that's totally normal! I'm getting anxious as it gets closer as well. It's not because I dislike anything about my job though, I just really enjoyed having quality time off and could use a couple more weeks!!

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 2, 2009

Well, this is my first year so it's Stress City. But that doesn't mean I hate it. There are moments I feel in over my head, but I don't think that's abnormal. Right? :lol:

Actually, part of the reason I think I "hate" my job right now is because I'm coming in from break to a writing contest/assignment that I'm dreading. My principal is making us do an essay contest on responsibility - something my kids lack - and I'm dreading it.

6. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jan 2, 2009

I feel your pain, Pisces. I'm new also and although I love it overall, I am dreadng going back. For one, I hate change--I know this isn't really a change, but in a way it is. I LOVE being at home with my boys. I would be so happy to be home with them every day. I have loved the relaxing days of playing Uno, Monopoly, being on the computer, not being stressed, working on school stuff at my leisure and not having a deadline for anything. For 2, in school I constantly stress over what I've got to do, if I am doing something correctly, and what I have forgotten to do. I feel like I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I feel so in over my head a lot of the time also. OMG!

I know it will be ok once I get back into the swing of things. And I look forward to the breaks. We get one about every 6 weeks, plus MLK day coming up. That helps. It just stinks when you worry so much about what you are doing.

:) Sending Hershey Kisses--the cherry cordial ones--your way! It is how I survive. :)

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 2, 2009

I am not looking forward to going back either. I have enjoyed the time off too. But, I think the anxiety is normal. But, as someone else said, there is always so much to do!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 2, 2009

I love my job in general but I don't love my environment this year so it has put a damper on it. I look forward to it but I'm nervous about it at the same time. Uggh.

Regarding the Responsibility Essay:
    Consider making a BB. The Golden Rule (Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you). Have each of them write a respect rule, etc. on a "golden coin." (play with the idea). Get them thinking about the ways they can do it, change up the BB while you are at it, impress your boss, and have a visual reminder that they took part in.

I don't have any brilliant ideas at the moment but to get them thinking you might consider, making situation cards and practice/discuss/role play them. You might assign each "group" a part of the school grounds and have them brainstorm/develop a skit/discuss (whatever) the rules and respect for that area.

Core Concepts to Learn: (from a book I have)
    *Respect is treating others as you would like to be treated.
    *Respect is being considerate of other people's feelings.
    *Respect means recognizing the value of people, property, the environment and yourself.

P.S. If you do decide to do that, PM me your email and I'll send you some ideas for situation cards (out of my book).

9. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Jan 2, 2009

It sounds to me as though you just have a lot on your plate after taking two weeks off. I felt this way, then I tackled a ton of grading and felt A LOT better! Try knocking on of the things off the list before you go back.

10. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

I have been teaching for 16 years and still feel anxious at the end of vacations. I think it has to do with leaving the freedom of vacations (so sweet!) and rejoining the rat race. I must end by saying that my anxiety disappears the minute after the first bell rings on the first day back to school.

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2009

I can totally relate to what you are feeling. I love my job but I always get a case of the "End of vacation blues". It started today at 3:00 when I knew my official vacation was over and I'm sure I'll be even more sad on Sunday night... Hopefully once you get back into the swing of things, you will begin to feel more at ease.
    Keep your chin up and hang in there!!!!!!!!!! :) YOU CAN DO IT!

12. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

I always feel a bit nervous, too. It is almost like I think there is too much too do when I get back...but then I return and see that it is manageable. The "idea" of going back is really the toughest part.

13. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

You might be a tad homesick. When my husband moved me away from my family I did not realize it would be as hard as it was. When we would go visit I would have so much fun and when we were pulling out of the city I would get in a terrible mood. It took me a long time to realize I just dreaded going back to the city we lived in. It wasn't home.
    Also, is this your first year to teach? Teaching is not an easy job and it is even more difficult now than when I started. There is so much pressure put on teachers. Maybe when you are in school you deal with it. It is there and you have to deal with it, but when you are out on vacation you get to be free and have fun. Dreading the return is sort of a realization that you have that pressure returning. If I had it to do all over I would choose something different than a classroom teacher. It may look greener on the other side of the hill as they say, but there are many jobs in the school system that do not have the pressure the classroom teacher has. That is the way it seems to me.

14. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

20 years in the classroom here and it is exactly the same thing for me. Getting back is hard, but once school starts up again I'm excited and ready to get back to working with my kids.

15. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 3, 2009

Another one dreading Monday...I loved the time with my kids; I loved the time to sleep in; I loved the time to play on the internet, read a book, go shopping, etc.

Then reality strikes, and I think about getting up Monday morning, and my heart races.

We aren't alone...

16. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2009

You took the words right out of my mouth! I've been teaching for 22 years and I still have a hard time adjusting to going back to work.

I love the time off, but sometimes I wish I were independently wealthy! :lol:

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2009

I am upset that I have to go back on Monday also. All day on Thursday for some reason I thought it was Tuesday and I still had almost a week until we went back. My son burst my bubble and showed me it was indeed Thursday and I had 2 less days. This has made the rest of the week go even faster. I will be glad to get back into some routine so in some ways I am glad that we are going back.

18. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 3, 2009

I'm really nervous because I start my first teaching job. I'm excited, but nervous about behavior issues. I was told that this school is tough. Hopefully the students buy into my behavior plan.