Ants in my Brew Station

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Securis, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 25, 2015

My BW said I couldn't post this to FB so.....For your entertainment!!!

We have this Hamilton Beach Brew Station and I admit, the lack of a carafe is nice. The coffee quality is a subjective matter and we enjoyed what it made. The machine kept it warm and that's where we start to get into the problem. We started noticing a few ants and that's kind of strange because it's still pretty much winter even though it's spring. So, we scour, disinfect, and bait that area and a few other spaces thinking we're going to get ahead of a spring invasion. A two days pass and we're getting the idea that maybe the baits were a waste of money because there are still ants, more ants. These ants aren't dangerous in any way.They are just small, annoying, and numerous. Tonight, we start our night routine by setting the coffee pot. What should our wondering eyes see? A swarming bundle of invaders! It was a sneak attack! There must have been over a thousand ants in the brew station!

We washed it out with scalding water but these critters were entrenched inside the plastic housing so they were sheltered from all the flood waters. So, the brew station gets to spend the night outside while we zip off an email to the company. What will an email do? I don't know but I've seen a lot of reviews that talk about brew stations being ant magnets. Something might happen. Who knows?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2015

Ewww...

So glad I replaced my Brew Station with a Keurig a couple of years ago; there's no way I would have been able to make coffee in it!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2015

Yuck!

But, it's better than roaches!

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 25, 2015

Oh, that is just "eeww".

I'm so sorry.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2015

I actually had that happen several years ago as well...very convenient coffee pot, other than that one little issue...

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

Wait...so are you saying that you purchased a new coffee maker and it had ANTS in it?? Or ants got into it after you brought it home?

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 26, 2015

I don't think the ants came with it but that is a possibility. What i think is that the brew station creates a specific electric field that draws the ants to its heating element. We have never had these kind of ants in the house and i can't recall ever seeing them outside either. Our HOA sprays regularly. How they came to be swarming and nesting in the brew station, who knows. They aren't anywhere else in the house that we noticed and we couldn't really miss them because they aren't shy.