Anti-Christmas is out of control

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by iloverecess, Dec 14, 2005.

1. iloverecess

iloverecess Rookie

Dec 14, 2005

Someone donated goodie filled cups for students at my school. The principal had staff members remove all of the erasers (Santa, Christmas trees, and Snowmen) except for Gingerbreadmen. The snowmen aren't allowed because ‘snow’ is now a reference to cocaine due to the Jeezy Snowman Tshirts. Can you believe this?? :eek:

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 14, 2005

Oh wow. That is WILD and incredibly sad.

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

I agree, how insane! I can't believe how far this is going. How old are we as adults, come on!

5. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2005

Thats so stupid. I am soooo glad I teach in a school (ps) that is in a small town and most of the people are christian. We have a christmas party, play christmas music and even have a christmas tree in the room. All this is going too far!

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

People are way too bent out of shape and will find any loop hole in the system to get their own ignorant way.

7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Dec 14, 2005

I'm surprised you were able to use the GingerbreadMEN - What about the GingerbreadWOMEN?! The principal must be sexist!

:D

8. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Dec 14, 2005

I think someone needs to anonymously let the donor know what happened. Next year they can donate to someone who will actually use it.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

Ha!! Amanda, that will be on the agenda tomorrow........they will now be called gingerbread people!!!!!!! But maybe that will be offensive to someone named ginger! So I think they better go with just bread people!

10. iloverecess

iloverecess Rookie

Dec 14, 2005

There were wash-off tattoos as well. They could not be used (even the gingerbread man ones) because tattoos promote an unsavory lifestyle.

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2005

Don;t you think we are becoming too politically correct? We're always worried about "offending" someone. I think its getting to be too much. So what BE OFFENDED

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

This tells you how out of it I am, but what are Jeezy Snowman Tshirts, anyhow? Never heard of him or it.

13. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Dec 14, 2005

How sad! I bet if there had been something in there for Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, or Rhamadan they would have said that was fine! It is not just politically correct but there is a serious double standard going on now.

14. iloverecess

iloverecess Rookie

Dec 14, 2005

Snowman Banned At Local School

POSTED: 11:13 p.m. EST November 22, 2005

Cambria County -- Frosty the Snowman is a Christmas carol we all know. In 2005, the snowman depiction, has become one of drug dealing, namely cocaine.

The snowman shirt has been made famous by the rapper, Young Jeezy. The snow refers to cocaine and the snowman the cocaine dealer. The shirt doesn't look like frosty, but like an angry snowman.

After the guidance of Johnstown Police and two students wearing shirts like these, Johnstown High School and Middle School banned all snowman clothing for both children and teachers. Teachers are also being asked to refrain from snowman decorations. School administrators say the clothing, no matter how innocent, now has the aura of drugs.

"A sad commentary on our times, where people can get on the Internet with these shirts and advertise and make a nice profit by degrading something that is a holiday tradition," says Johnstown High School Principal Dan Resenic.

Resenic says with the two students who were caught wearing the snowman shirt, the one student's parent actually bought the shirt and had no idea what it really represented.

Copyright 2005 by WJACTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

15. gferrari

gferrari Rookie

Dec 15, 2005

Ok well tobe COMPLETELY P.C. I am a Secural Humanist... However, I am a religion Neutralist. In this context..... Teach that Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and any other holidays are CHOICE. Even a 1st grade student can get this. Giving a child a tree eraser wont convert him to Christianity....

The snowman thing is just silly.

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2005

I find it completely amazing that they are giving this rapper EXACTLY what he wants. BY acknowledging the "snowman" as anything but a snowman they are giving into this rapper and in turn, lining his pockets because of free advertising . This district may ban it, but they indeed are guilty by association (just by the mere fact they have recognized it as something other then what it is). WHat happened to people rising up and having a voice and saying no more. If they allow this to happen, what about when some other group uses say an object like an apple to represent something illegal or immoral........does that now mean that apples will be banned from schools as well? What has happened to common sense! I think it is being held hostage by something called political correctness or even worse, stupidity!
    Evil can be found in ANYTHING if you look for it...............why is this school looking for it? Give Frosty back to it's rightful audience!

17. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Dec 15, 2005

I think this is all just silly. I too am thankful to teach in a school where we celebrate Christmas. I teach my students about all of the holidays celbrated at this time of year but most everyone in our school is Christian.

18. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Dec 15, 2005

Wasn't there something a few years ago about rainbows? my daughter had a substitute teacher in elementary school who was very strict about not letting the children draw rainbows. it had something to do with drugs, but I can't remember what. She also would not let them draw peace signs. She said that was anti-Christian. I never really understood any of it.

19. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2005

Rainbows are the gay symbol-i think

20. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2005

I completely agree. When did we decide we're going to allow unsavory people to make decisions and have control over things? I think it's time we stand up and say, enough is enough. I am so tired of backing down to this type of nonsense. Let's take back Frosty!!!!

21. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 15, 2005

WOW! I'm in a school where we have "holiday" parties. We believe all of our students (at least 5th graders) are Christian but we call them holiday parties "just in case". We also have a small christmas tree in the classroom and the students all do Christmas activities. I can't believe the tattoo thing either...GEEZ! Do I live an "unsavory" lifestyle because I have 2 REAL tattoos???? My students don't know about them...And they won't unless they see me in public during the summer in a tank top or at the beach/pool swimming! We have tattoos in our "reward" box as well as the one for the whole school! The kids LOVE them and no parents have complained. Oh yeah! We even have a Santa Shop in our school! The kids can go and buy Christmas presents for like $1.50.

22. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2005

I don't know what else to say on this topic. It's just plain dumb!

hanvan, yes the rainbow is the symbol of the gay community and that was probably the reason. But wasn't the rainbow the symbol that God created after the great flood (sarcastic) first? ARGH!!!! Pretty soon someone is going to take doves, crosses, Santa, you name it into a new light and we will have nothing left.

23. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Dec 15, 2005

That takes me back. I had forgotten, they used to have Santa's Workshop at my kids' school when they were little. I loved it. I could send them to school with five or ten dollars and they would buy for parents, grandparents, each other. Then the parents at school would help them wrap it. They felt so grown up. They could actually buy gifts for us that were a total surprise for us. (sniff, sniff) Such sweet memories make me sentimental!:rolleyes:

24. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 15, 2005

1stferg - My husband still has a little statue of a bird on a branch that our son (now almost 20 yrs old) bought at Santa's Secret Shop when he was a preschooler. I remember my son's teacher coming to me (We were at the same school.) asking for more money so that he could buy this item. The teacher said that our son just insisted his dad would love that bird.

25. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Dec 15, 2005

The interesting thing is that the snowman by the rapper Jeezy has nothing to do with cocaine. I was watching something last night that had the rapper on it and he was saying the snowman was just a symbol for him and had nothing to do with drugs. He even talked about how stupid it was that people have decided that the snowman refers to a drug dealer. I think it is all absolutely absurd if you ask me!!! It's just a snowman for crying out loud!!!!

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 18, 2005

My Christmas gifts for the kids are all snow related. We read Snowflake Bentley, study matter, temperature, and shapes right before the break so it seems right that all my presents are snowflake or snowmen stuff. I hope my little community hasn't heard of this snow mess.

We painted plaster ornaments for an art project last week and besides the snowmen, trees, wreaths, and santas, I bought some angel ornaments and they were the biggest hit. My community is mostly Catholic, and most of my class attends some sort of church.

27. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 18, 2005

Oh boy, am I in trouble! I love snowmen. Collect them for all seasons, have shirts, sweatshirts, etc.
    I think that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. No Frosty? Let's protest! Long Live The Snowman!!

28. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 18, 2005

Well all the gifts for my students are snowmen. I bought them a snowman pad, and snowman pencil with erasers and stickers. I put together snowman soup for them.
    I love doing snowman with my students in January for our Winter unit. We have a holiday boutique where the children can go buy gifts.