Answers from my first graders on their exam

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Apr 18, 2012.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

I have raved about Understanding by Design since I first started using it. For those of you who do not know, it's a backwards design, and units are created around big ideas. It is so effective in helping students become critical thinkers. So, here is an example of some answers I had on the last exam for the question: "What was the story about"? You will find that looking at content as a means of getting to the big idea creates answers outside of the box. Here are a few of the answers I got on the exam, but I got many answers similar to these responses:

+ You can do great things even if you are little

+ Anyone can help

+Even if I am small I can do something important

This is why I love UbD. Our content is not the end goal; it's a means to the end. Now my first graders get so much more out of their literature. They are understanding ideas that they can apply in their lives. I loved those answers, which I think is much more elaborate than "The story was about some chicks trying to get food in the garden". They have gone beyond just the literal and can find greater meaning. Oh I am so proud of them. Just had to share.

3. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 18, 2012

This program sounds similar to a program we use at our school. Students are lead to a pattern statement for example - information can be restated clearly and concisely (summary).... then we do an experience that goes along with it... but is not summary. for example - we have a long list of very very specific directions of how to brush your teeth, then we as a class say why it is too long and then create a new list of directions.
    Students then do a graphic organizer for each chapter of a book...... so they will practice summary for about ten days straight.
    Then they do an art project, then test over the concept.
    It is kind of long but the kids grasp the concepts and can also relate them to other things in life.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

What is that program called?

5. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 18, 2012

foundations and frameworks.... it is not a widely known program and I think you have to be accepted into it for your school to use it. It is out of Briarwood Christian School in Alabama. Our students hae very good test scores, i think last year there was a 100% pass rate for reading. (I know test scores dont measure everything etc.)

6. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 18, 2012

and i think it is very expensive..... but if i were to move to a public school i would definitely use a lot of the concepts still.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2012

Tami---that's great! They are already moving on to talking about much deeper concepts without even knowing that they are doing more difficult work.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

Yes, which is why I love, love, love UbD....They become deeper thinkers. It just made me smile as I went through their exams and saw how their thinking has grown this year.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 18, 2012

Wow, what awesome responses from such young students. I hope this program carries through to the upper grades.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 18, 2012

That's awesome!

11. bondo

bondo Cohort

Apr 18, 2012

Wow, that is amazing! Thanks for sharing. I will have to check it out.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 18, 2012

That's great!

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 18, 2012

TamiJ, I love UbD, too! I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve, and working practically by myself on units. Would you consider sharing a unit with me? I'd be so grateful and would not bug you forever for more and more. ;)

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 19, 2012

That's wonderful Tami! Those kids are so lucky to be getting such a great foundation in thinking skills.

I'm also wondering is it a philosophy that there are books I could read on it or is it a program that your school uses?

15. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Apr 20, 2012

My teacher prep program taught us to do this, although no one told me it had a name or a place that originated it. I'd like to teach like that more. It also ties in with integrated units. I'd also like more info if you have book or website suggestions.

16. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Apr 20, 2012

I know the teachers in my district are doing this, including some at the high school. I don't see why this wouldn't work for ELL students too.