answering questions

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by WaterfallLady, Feb 2, 2011.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2011

Can anyone reccommend a good book for low-ish kids who have a hard time answering questions. For example, if you ask "What did the girl do at the park?" and they answer something about how we should be kind to each other. I don't really mind if it looks babyish, they need help! It's hard to assess comprehension when they can't answer questions!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

I would start with one sentence. Mary walked to school at 8am. Then ask the students, "Who walked to school?" "When did she walk?" "Where did she walk?"

Try this with a few short sentences and grow into a paragraph. Then, move to a story.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

Are you teaching comprehension strategies? Working on visualizing could help.

5. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Feb 2, 2011

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2011

You might try reading a short passage and actually giving the kids answers on flash cards. Call on them, they have the answer right there on the card, they get the idea you are looking for concrete answers directly related to the story.

After the 1st kid answers correctly (because he has the answer on a flash card), you can then popcorn around the class and reinforce the correct answer because the other kids have already heard the correct answer. The next day, try the same passage without the index cards.

Even gen ed kids sometimes have trouble keeping inferences inside the box of the story. They have to be taught to limit their thinking to the context of what they've read.

7. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Feb 2, 2011

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2011

Can they answer questions like thatn when in typical conversations? Do they have the language skills to answer these questions? Some low students with language deficits have problems knowing how to answer all types of WH questions and a speech and language pathologist might be able to help.

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2011

I work with the SLP and my reading class is intensely language based. Most of my students do have speaking problems. A lot of them do answer off topic. The speech therapist is helping me find materials but I wanted to know if anyone here had any really good strategies.

Bethechange, I already had that on my purchase list for next year. :) It looks like it was made for my kids!

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2011

My school uses "better answers". That means they have to rephrase the question... so if you say "Who is the main character in this story?" They have to say "The main character in this story is..." It can help them stay on track when answering. You have to sort of train them to do it- make them do it all the time- but our entire school does it and even the kinders do it easily by the second month or so. If your kids have more severe needs they might find it harder, but it's always worth a shot. I had a girl at the beginning of the year that I didn't want to use the better answers with because she was having such difficulty undertsanding that she would often get confused when trying to rephrase the question. By the time I got her to do that, she would completely forget her answer. But it's school policy so I had to stay with it, and she does it automatically now. I work with mostly kids who are ELLs so they don't always use correct grammar when rephrasing, but as long as the idea is there they still understand what they are supposed to be answering. For example, with your example question many of my students would say something like "The girl did at the park is..." not exactly correct but they get the general idea!