"Answer in your own handwriting"

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Alisha, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Apr 23, 2009

I know this is a dumb question, but when an application states this, it is asking for cursive, correct? I just felt the need to ask because my cursive isn't beautiful and feel that I could do a much better job in print, but I don't want to lose my chance at a job or interview because I wrote it in print when they want cursive.

I know it's silly, but I am unsure.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2009

I just think they're asking that you handwrite it, whether its print or cursive. They just don't want it typed.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 23, 2009

I just think they want to make sure you can write legibly.

5. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Apr 23, 2009

Well that makes me feel a little better. I really wasn't sure, I know I did this last year, but I was never sure what to do for those. Thanks for answering the silly question! :)

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 23, 2009

When it says that... I believe they are asking to see the best handwriting you can offer. I do my absolute best cursive - and not the shortcut cursive that I norally do in life-... but every letter connected and formed well.

Though schools are placing less and less emphasis on cursive-when they have a handwriting section on an application - I believe that they want to see that the teachers they hire will be good examples for their students to follow!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 23, 2009

I bet it's mostly that schools want to make sure it's YOUR writing.

8. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Apr 23, 2009

This was the only part that concerned me. I feel like I'm making a huge deal out of nothing, but I just don't want to lose my chances for silly reasons.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2009

I always just use print in those sections. Cursive takes me forever to do and most likely I would have to re-do it a thousand times if I decided to use cursive!

10. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

lol I never even thought about using cursive! Silly me =) I always just print in my regular old handwriting. Interesting question to ask!

11. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

I printed, too. I thought besides checking for legible handwriting it also limits the amount applicants write. If it's typed, they could use smaller and smaller fonts. My application gave you four inches to state your philosophy of education! There is so much you COULD write include. I thought about this for awhile, too.

Good luck!
    Melissa

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 23, 2009

What i would do is write it as if you were doing a mini essay in a cursive workbook. You do the best show-cursive you can muster...but don't sweat it if you get through a word and "darn I didn't connect that 's' in a pretty fashion!"

Just take it slow and make it look like you are demonstrating cursive to a student.

13. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Apr 24, 2009

My gut tells me that it doesn't matter whether you use cursive or print. You should use whatever is natural to you, and whatever is more legible. I personally would print, because my cursive is sloppier, and being a "primary" grade teacher, I feel it would give them an idea of how nice my handwriting is, and how nice it would look when they walk in my classroom and see it written on the boards / around the classroom. That's just me though.

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 24, 2009

Just a side note...

My first day of clincial experience (5th grade) my mentoring teacher wanted to get me invoved immediately. He asked me to take notes on the board while he was teaching a S.S. unit. He told the kids.."ok watch Mrs. McKenna... you are going to see what GOOD note taking looks like-how someone, who has obviously taken notes in MANY classes, organizes notes from a lecture/discussion."

So he starts in on teaching and after one or two lines of note taking one of the kids let's out a sigh of relief...then another and another. The teacher asks..."HEY! What's up with THAT???"

And one brave soul confesses..."FINALLY, we can READ what's written on the board!" And he laughed because he understood...his handwriting was CRAZY bad.

15. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Apr 25, 2009

Another thing this does is it sort of prevents you from using spell check unless you type it in MS Word, then copy it in your own writing. Many times on this forum you see "your" instead of "you're" or "Principle" instead of "Principal."

Errors like that will stand out on a job app. It can serve a quick screener.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2009

I'm in way over my head; I teach HS Math and I LIKE writing in script. I had no idea that it gave so many people such problems. My students have never mentioned that it was an issue.

But if the job is elementary, could it be possible that they WANT to see your script??