Another What Would You Do

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2011

I know someone who just applied for a non-teaching job at a local district (NOT my district). I just discovered the the asst superintendent of human resources was my mom's old boss (from another district). I personally met her once.

Should I send the asst sup an email stating that I'm her ex-secretary's daughter & that my friend's trying to get a job w/ her district or should I just let it go?

Now that I'm thinking, I'm probably not going to push it. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

Thanks guys! :)

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Sep 20, 2011

It really depends on your mom's relationship with her boss. If it was a good one, I'd have your mom send the e-mail. Since you don't have any real relationship with the person from HR, it might seem strange for you to vouch for someone.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 20, 2011

I say no. That's too many degrees of separation.

5. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Sep 20, 2011

I would have your mom send the e-mail if she decided it was appropriate. Do you have a relationship with this Asst. Super? if not I wouldn't send it in your name.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2011

Probably this. But I also think I might need to be in the exact situation to have a good feel of things. It's not your boyfriend, is it? Whoever it is, best wishes to him! :)

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2011

Thanks a lot guys. Like I said, I'm NOT going to send any email to her after all. My mom has a steller work record & any boss you could find who she had in the past would only say great things about her, but I'm not going to get my mom involved in this. No, not BF. It's an ex-coworker who I actually wrote one of the letters of rec that's in there w/ the app/resume, so the asst sup will probably recognize my last name anyway! :)

The way it happened was, today was the deadline for my pal to apply, but he/she couldn't turn it in, so I offered to be the messenger. (They don't accept emailed, faxed, online apps.) I kept my sunglasses on when I went in to turn it in. No one was at the front desk, so I waited a little & called out HELLO. I saw a lady in a nearby office & she said to check in the HR ofc. No one was there either, but as I turned back out of the HR ofc, a lady who asked me if I was looking for HR happened to be the asst sup (my mom's old boss), so I was able to hand her my pal's app directly, in which she looked through as I was leaving. If I hadn't kept my sunglasses on, she might have recognized me, but I sure recognized her, esp after I asked what her name was.

Maybe that was meant to be for me to hand it directly to her! :)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2011

Let it go. You don't have the relationship with the hiring decision makers. Your mom does.
    Hand delivering the package was very nice of you. Is there some reason your friend couldn't have delivered it himself?

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2011

What's this? "There some" typed quickly?

Person's out of town & found out Fri before this past wknd about the deadline.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 20, 2011

You do realize that your incessant abbreviations render a lot of your posts undecodable, right?

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 21, 2011

Well kcjo13, then people can say the same for those who always type DH, DW, etc. & they ASSUME people know what those mean. Now yes, many of us have learned from being on this board. I wasn't trying to be smart-alecky when I asked czacza that. People's purpose is to condense, so if czacza typed that 10-letter word, what even longer digit word is that supposed to be? That's just it, it's probably a typo &/or no spacing where there needs to be. The closest I can tell is "there must be some", but then she wouldn't type the word "is" in front of that to make it grammatically incorrect, but she may have been typing fast like I do at times.

In one of my college classes, we did an exercise where most people can tell what a word is if the vowels are taken out. It's kind of like this study you may have heard of: http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/Cmabrigde/ (although it's been said it wasn't really a Cambridge study).

But, I'm not the one using only 2 letters for words (except for when I type BF & maybe A/C) & assuming everyone knows what it means. If I don't know & really want to know what a post is saying, I'll simply ask the poster that's all. I'm not going to make it an issue & say how they type incessant abbreviations that render a lot of posts undecodable.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 21, 2011

Are we really having this conversation? (above???) Typos happen. Words are left out on occasion. Abbreviations are used. Does it really matter?

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 21, 2011

From what I could tell, Ms. I was just looking for clarification, not condenscending.

As to the thread, if that person is really a friend who you want to see get a good job, I'd say go for it. Everybody realizes this is a tough job market, and actually highlighting that by going through that length I think would help your friend's chances to stand out.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

Yup...'there some' IPad touch keyboard...:whistle:

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 21, 2011

;)John.... condenscending... That was a play on words? See, typos happen. And I don't think anyone was thinking that Ms. I was being condescending. I just thought it was odd that a typo was gaining attention. As you can see... typos happen. But this is a forum where anyone can say whatever they like and I would never deprive anyone of that American right.:cool:

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 22, 2011

Great info John Lee, thanks.