Another "What Would You Do?" Post

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LMichele, Sep 1, 2011.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Sep 1, 2011

I'm going into my 3rd year looking for a job. For the past 2 years I have been a permanent sub in a building that I love and have been asked back by the principal for a third year. However, it is up to HR if I can go back for a third year or not and I won't know until mid-September. (hence my venting post yesterday, haha) I was happy to be asked back for a third year since there are 2 possible retirements at the end of this year. However, they recently cut a class at most of the grade levels, so if the retirements go through, they already have teachers to shift around throughout the grade levels to replace them next year. I have been getting mixed reviews of whether the district hires from within for jobs, some say yes and some say no. In this position I'm not eligible for leave replacements, and they seem to hire leave replacements more often than perm. subs.

A friend of my mother has a daughter who was a leave replacement in this district for 2.5 years. When tenure came up, they got rid of her position instead of offering tenure. She found a job at a very prestigious private academy and LOVES it there. It sounds like a dream work environment for any teacher. She is on track to become a P next year when the current one retires in June. She also has a large tutoring client base from the students at the school.

Her headmaster told her he's getting her a TA this year, so her mom thought of me & asked for me resume to hand in to him to recommend me for the position. With her possibly moving up to P, that would leave her job open for September.

Where I am, you have 5 years to complete 3 years of teaching, with one of those being mentored. Being a substitute counts, however, I do not get a mentor in my current position. Being a TA here does not count for the year.

I am torn between whether to wait it out and return to my perm. sub job (my P doesn't think it will be a problem, but he doesn't want to ask HR until he submits my name), or taking the TA position. The perm. sub will keep me in the public school system, but a majority of the districts here don't consider subbing to be teaching experience. Most of the points on my resume from this job are nonacademic related and discuss the work I've done as advisor to the Student Council. I'm not sure how they view being a TA, but it might give me more actual experience with programs and implementing instruction to put down on my resume, and it could lead to something within the school.

3. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Sep 1, 2011

I would go with the TA position.

It is something else to add to your resume, along with the permanent sub. You will be able to gain firsthand experience working with the same group of children for a whole school year, as opposed to a sub who sees different groups of children each day.

Since you already have a good relationship with the teacher, you can talk to her about wanting to get some experience and she could let you teach the lessons (or a subject as she sees fit) and you can get some actual lessons into your arsenal.

Good luck.

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Sep 1, 2011

Thanks for your advice. I am worried about leaving the public schools, but I find myself getting very comfortable, almost too comfortable, where I am and I don't want to stay there just for the sake of staying. I didn't want to go beyond 3 years of just subbing, especially in the same school with it not going anywhere, so I would just be getting out a year earlier than I had planned.

5. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 1, 2011

I would take the TA job. It sounds uncertain that subbing at your present district will ever lead to a full-time job. Why are you afraid of leaving the public schools?

6. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Sep 1, 2011

Because I've constantly heard since I was an undergrad that subbing is the best way to land a job. It was all I heard from my professors. Three years post-grad, it's just not true anymore.

7. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 1, 2011

I think that I would try the TA just to add something different to your resume. You will still have your foot in the door if a job comes open at the other school because you subbed there for two years. This will also give you an opportunity to have your name known somewhere else.

8. LITeachTeach

LITeachTeach Rookie

Sep 2, 2011

Yes, I agree LMichele that subbing doesn't guarantee a job. I feel like if there were a book written on how to find a teaching job after graduating from college, I would have followed every single piece of advice and I still have nothing. I network. I provide excellent instruction when I sub or tutor. I make connections with administrators. Kids like me. Parents like me. Co-workers like me. And... zip, zilch, nada.... argh!!!!!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2011

I'd go the TA route as well.

10. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Sep 2, 2011

The TA route seems to be the safest bet.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 2, 2011

TA has my vote...but we can't live your life, you have decide what is best for you. Good luck.

12. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Sep 2, 2011

Thank you everyone. I am leaning a bit towards the TA.

I went to the public school today to drop something off. They don't know I'm thinking of taking this job. It was hard to see all the teachers say they can't wait for me to go back.

13. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Sep 2, 2011

For your perm sub job in the 2 yrs past, did you get alot of opportunities to fill in for teachers for longer periods of time (a few weeks etc).

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 2, 2011

It looks like they have an agenda at the public school. It looks like the private school option will be a better opportunity to find a classroom of your own in the future. You have to decide what it is that you ultimately want. If you are committed to public education and that is where you want to be ultimately then, I guess your best bet would be the subbing job. It really has to be a choice that only you can make.