Another vent about my first graders (well, sort of)...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Sarge, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 2, 2010

Newbie thought Sarge was fortunate to go unpunished because he was outside supervising when the incident occurred. So when you asked in response to her post, "Why should the teacher be punished for his/her students' actions outside of the classroom?", I assumed you were asking with the knowledge Sarge was outside with his students.

Just a misunderstanding. I agree that you cannot be responsible for your students during recess as you are not supervising them at the time. Sarge, since he was outside surpervising, could have been held responsible if the circumstances were different--as in, he saw but ignored what was happening, which wasn't the case.

To clarify: I absolutely do not think Sarge should be any in sort of "trouble" because of this incident!!! :)

2. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 2, 2010

Thanks for clarification, JustMe! I appreciate it! :thumb:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2010

The OP didn't see the older kid on the slide at first. You will learn, newbie, that despite trying to grow eyes in the backs of our heads, even seasoned professional educators don't see all. A playground is a BIG place to monitor and one can't be all places seeing all things at once.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 3, 2010

Ya know, Czacza, as I was doing yard duty today, I was thinking about the OP's situation. I was at yard duty with one other teacher and we were supervising 9 classes (225 kids). This is the norm at my school (two teachers supervising recess) and it's nearly impossible for us to see EVERYTHING that's going on. Plus, you have kids coming up to you saying things like, "I need a band aid" or, "_____ hit me" or, "_____ won't get off the swing"!

I fully agree with you, Czacza! :thumb:

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 3, 2010

Sarge, I think you did the right thing....... I'm glad you weren't stoned to death by fellow AtoZ members ......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.