Another Twist on Halloween Celebrations at School

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Amanda, Oct 21, 2004.

1. adria

adria Comrade

Oct 25, 2004

Well I disagree with the fact that Halloween is only about dressing up an dacting silly. All os us are teachers and teachers are one of the best researchers there is. I think some of you need to stop being naive and look up what Halloween means and what it represents. I am sorry if I offended anyone, and for the friend who has a friend in church or sunday school who celebrates Halloween, god be with her...we all have to meet Jesus one day.

2. omiof5

omiof5 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004

I agree, but I hope He will judge me on everything I've done in life and on how I've followed my own heart. I would hate to think that my eternity hinged on whether I ever acted silly in a costume. :rolleyes:

3. adria

adria Comrade

Oct 25, 2004

What is Halloween? I am not debating that God will condemn you for dressing silly in a costume, costume is one of the symbols of Halloween, so if you dressed in that manner you will be found guilty of participating in such rediculuos tradition of what you don't know much about. In regards to what you said about your heart..The heart is deceitful above of all things. And desperatly wicket. Who can know it? I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind. Even to give every man according to his ways. According to the fruit of his doings. Jeremiah chapter 17: 9-11

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 25, 2004

If you want to discuss the implications of Christians celebrating Halloween and opinions on that, feel free to use the discussion going on in the "Prayer Request Forum" -- It is geared toward Christian issues, and would be more appropriate there. There obviously are many differing opinions on this, even among Christians.

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 25, 2004

"Rediculuos and desperatly wicket" though we may be, you are being very judgemental. And judgement is God's prerogative, not ours.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2004

Jane

:d Cut That Out!

7. omiof5

omiof5 Rookie

Oct 26, 2004

Jane

Oh, but it was SOOOOOO tempting, wasn't it? :angel:

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 26, 2004

Too tempting to pass up.

9. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2004

Here's the perspective of a parent and a Christian- with a 4yr old.
    Christmas is about Jesus- period. I did explain to her about St. Nicholas, and as she gets older I have a unit on Christmas Around the World.
    In other words, there is no Santa.
    Halloween is not celebrated. We will go to harvest/ fall activities. I am sick to death of giant Frankensteins/witches/mummies/vampires that greet you when you walk in a store. I understand that most people don't see anything wrong with these, but why should I have explain what a vampire is?
    Easter is also about Jesus-period.
    Bunnies and chicks are about spring and we use those in lessons during that time.
    I do not read her fairy tales/ nursery rhymes. I find some of them hideous and see no point in them.Someone gave me a nursery rhymes book for her when she was small, and I didn't bother with it. I'm 39 and yes, I grew up with these.
    I once bought a book called The Tiny Woman, or something similar. She went to a cemetary and picked up a bone from a grave and cooked soup with it. The ghost of the person whose bone it was haunted her for it. Ridiculous.
    Grammy Teacher, I enjoy your posts, but I don't agree that kids enjoy being scared. Maybe if they are allowed to be exposed to whatever at home, maybe...
    I do agree that some parents put fear in their kids, but that's not what I do with my little girl.
    I simply see no point in her hearing scary stories, vampires, witches and the like. I have a well adjusted, kind, mature child who has never been afraid of the dark or sleeping by herself, like some kids are. Bad dreams haven't occured that I know of.
    I would prefer that Halloween not be celebrated at all in school or church, because I don't want my girl exposed to what someone else feels is appropriate. I'd be the parent keeping her home.
    This stuff does get shoved in your face from September until the day before Halloween.

10. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2004

Jane,
    Why does it bother you so if someone has bad spelling or grammar?
    That's judgemental.

11. omiof5

omiof5 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004

Sorry, but ....

I suspect Jane may feel frustrated -- as I do -- when someone says she's a teacher and then commits so many grammatical and mechanical errors. We all make typos now and then (or have varied spellings in our countries), but I think educators really need to meet a high standard in writing and speaking. ;)

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 27, 2004

Thank you, omiof5.

A typo is one thing, and everybody makes the occasional mistake, but when every third word is misspelled, and grammar is so bad that it leaves the reader wondering what the writer was even trying to say, it sends a negative message to people. It tells people that the writer didn't care enough about the reader to produce a clear and concise message. It says "Eh, you're not important enough for me to take the trouble!" When a writer is that careless with his/her presentation, it tells me that he/she is probably that careless in his/her teaching, and probably that careless in most other aspects of his/her life. I have always told my students to be on the lookout for bad spelling in any place of business, as well as in school. It is an indication of sloppiness, and a proof of disregard for a customer's intelligence level. If they don't take the trouble to check and double-check their spelling on a sign, count your change carefully. If a teacher's written communication is poorly spelled and grammatically incorrect, I have a great deal of trouble accepting that such a person is competent to teach children these skills. I know that I can be abrasive on this (and other) subjects, but in this day and age when teachers are being criticized by the media and the public for every little thing, I think that a lack of proper communication skills is just one more thing. And it is a very important thing, and it is a very valid thing. I don't shop in businesses that misspell their ads and signs, and I don't think teachers who REGULARLY misspell should be in the classroom. No matter what the subject area.

13. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 27, 2004

I think sometimes when someone feels strongly about something it's easier to mess up the grammer. It's like you get so caught up in your opinions and judgements that you forget to THINK. You just have to get it all out quickly! People just don't realize how much better their point will come across if they just take a few seconds to edit. I know I'm not the best when it comes to grammer and punctuation (years of growin' up country-hehe), but I try. I try even harder when it's something I really care about and want people to understand. Oh well....enough rambling! :)

14. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 27, 2004

Oh! And, yes, Amanda, the post on Prayer Requests is MUCH more suitable for what some people seem to want to talk about! This is simply a question of how to talk about fairy tales and such, not if they're "right" or not. Oh well, always has to be a debate, it seems. :(

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 27, 2004

I also need to keep reminding myself that I am a secondary teacher and have never been around tiny children very much. Our curriculums are VERY different. As for our beliefs, well, this is a topic on which we will all probably just have to agree to disagree, because none of us is going to budge.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2004

Well, Becky, I am a mother of 2 grown children and have been a Preschool teacher of 4 and 5 year olds for 14 years...and believe it or not, children do like the element of "scared" in stories. In fact, they LOVE it.For Pete's sakes Becky, I'm not talking about "terrorizing" them! I have been around the block a few times to know what I am talking about. As far as your beliefs in raising your child, that is your business and I appreciate you taking a stand on what you believe. Good Luck!

17. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 27, 2004

Grammy Teacher, I think I love you.

Does anyone else think that every year, more and more creativity, intelligence, fun, originality, and humor are removed from our lives?

It's too bad that some people are too insecure about their own beliefs, to risk exposure to someone else's.

"Adamant" is often a euphemism for 'insecure and sticking to my guns because they are the only guns I know because by golly it was good enough for me and it's good enough for my kids so I won't risk my own belief system by allowing any other kind of belief system to soil it and the best way to do that is to isolate my kids no wait I think I'll protest and make a lot of waves so nobody else's kids can be exposed to anything other than my own personal beliefs either because God help us if anyone is actually given the right to choose anything. . . ."

The above rant was brought to you by the "Stream of Consciousness" foundation. Please send contributions to the Brain Cell Bank of your state.

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2004

When I wrote of what I do with my daughter I was just posting as a parent, since no other parents did. I wasn't starting anything.. although I wish Wal-Mart would lighten up....

As far as spelling/grammar , I see spelling mistakes on almost every forum I visit here. They are real mistakes, not just hitting one key while aiming for another.
    So, what does that say?

19. omiof5

omiof5 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004

Jane, I think I love you. :D

20. omiof5

omiof5 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004

Many of the "mistakes" I see are variant spellings -- not the same thing. ;)

21. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2004

No, what I'm talking about are mistakes. I've seen what you're talking about, though.

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2004

Incorrect spelling makes a person look and sound stupid. I know people who are really horrible spellers (my husband) and most of my co-workers. It drives me N-U-T-S. I can pick out a mispelled word driving down the road, eating doughnuts, combing my hair, turning up the radio, and reading the newspaper at the same time. Yes, I DO make spelling errors, but that's cuz' I have allowed myself to become rusty (not writing enough letters to people who really care)... SOOOOOOOO, you see, I , too am obsessed with spelling. I have many other obsessions that you probably don't care to know about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Is "obsession one 'b" or two?!)

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2004

Jane and omiof 5,Thanks for keeping the ball rolling...I have been rather bored and you are providing alot of "life" to the forum with being honest, open, intelligent (well, maybe), and down-to-earth...So many people today have their heads in their.........well, not where they be and are so stuffy and self-righteous that it is hard to find someone to relate to!

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2004

Jane, I especially agree that people tend to have no sense of humor or don't have the ability to find "fun" in anything. I find almost everything funny and this has caused me a large amount of trouble in life! I am still laughing and find that most people are on this earth strictly for my entertainment.My mom and dad were very funny people ( they were both "nuts") My dad did things like hooking up speakers in the front yard and talked to all of the neighbors (that was on a "good day." My mom laughed at everything...we couldn't even have a decent arguement without bursting into laughter.One time her bra fell off in the grocery store and she has no idea to this day how it happened. She picked it up and put it in her purse and continued shopping. o.K. that's enough .

25. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 27, 2004

Sometimes I think that most of the trouble in this world is made by people who have no sense of humor.

It comes as no surprise to know that a person with no sense of humor is also boring, dull, ignorant, and tends to suck all the oxygen out of a room.

They are also ugly and their mothers dress them funny.

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2004

And they think you are supposed to walk "around" the mud puddles and that suckers are bad for you.

27. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 27, 2004

. . . and they accuse you of picking on Junior because you laughed when he told you he "was rubbing his mouse across the pad and its balls fell off."

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2004

For God's Sake Will You Stop????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 27, 2004

. . . only if you REALLY want me to. . . .

30. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2004

Don't You Dare

31. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 27, 2004

You know why that mother who sneaked into our building via the fire doors, slinked up the fire stairs, walked unannounced into my classroom, and hit me in the chest in front of 39 eighth graders, was so angry?

She had tried to turn in five sets of homework for her son, ALL wayyy overdue; the most recent one was more than two weeks overdue, and all of the assignments were done in HER handwriting. I wouldn't accept them, and she went ballistic.

Why do people have to be so stupid? Did she really think I wouldn't notice the handwriting? Did she really think her son deserved an exception that was granted to no one else? Sheesh.

I would have pressed charges, but my principal promised me that he would take care of the problem.

The next day this woman was downstairs in the elementary section of our building, putting up a bulletin board. I think tiny children did the actual cutting-out of the pictures for her.

HER handwriting wasn't very good, either.

And that is why I always locked my classroom doors every single period. To keep out stupid people with no sense of humor.

The end.

32. omiof5

omiof5 Rookie

Oct 28, 2004

Grammy Teacher & Jane

I was gone all evening and just got all of your exchanges at once -- you're definitely my kind of people. :)

I think it's a good thing that the three of us never taught in the same school -- we would definitely all have gotten fired! The faculty meetings sure would have been entertaining, though. ;)

33. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 28, 2004

An entertaining faculty meeting. . . . . now THAT'S an experience I've never had. Unless you count that one where that mother barged in and started screaming profanities at all of us and then realized she was in the wrong school.

Okay, ONE entertaining faculty meeting.

34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 28, 2004

This is the most hysterical thread I have ever seen. I think you guys should have your own forum!!

35. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 28, 2004

Okay, ONE entertaining faculty meeting.[/QUOTE]

Uh...isn't that an oxymoron???? hehehe! You guys rock!!! People with no sense of humor kill me! I have this wierd, sarcastic, quirky sense of humor that sooooo few people get. Even my fiance looks at me with that look that your dog gives you when you talk to it. You know, "If I sit here and look cute she won't realize that I have no clue what she's talking about. Maybe she'll feed me soon. Hmm....is she speaking English?" He just really doesn't get me sometimes, but bless his heart, five minutes later he'll be laughing his butt off. He's finally figured out the joke. Oh well, we can't all be funny! :)

36. omiof5

omiof5 Rookie

Oct 28, 2004

kingsworker, too

Okay -- I'm about to decide that we DO need to start a new school starting with kingsworker, jane, grammyteacher, and me. (I don't know about other grades, but we would have sixth through adult lined up to enroll!)

Oops -- one little problem, though. Personally, I've never had any interest in administration -- it might be difficult to find the right principal for a whole faculty like us. :D

Wow -- now that I think of it, that's kind of a scary thought!!

37. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 29, 2004

I can also have 4th and 5th this year. I started out w/ 2nd, but they scare me!!!!
    We need to find someone who's really dumb and has no idea what's going on to be the administrator...okay that sounds too familiar. Let's try it again. Someone who would be gullible enough to let us do ANYTHING we want, and dumb enough to think it's okay...oh, and crazy enough to think it's all normal!!! You're right! We'll never find an administrator.
    Then again, have you noticed it's no fun to be crazy if there are no normal people to scare and make fun of? Or is it just me?

38. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 31, 2004

OK... I can cover K-3, haha. :)

39. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2004

This will be great...I can teach Preschool and break the kids in to insanity right away so they won't be shocked when they get any of you for teachers.

40. omiof5

omiof5 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004

Okay, we've got all the grades covered. But we're still missing an administrator! I worked for one who defiinitely fits the crazy bill but is too political to leave us alone. :rolleyes: