Another tutoring question...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by silverspoon65, Aug 9, 2009.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2009

In my old school, we had a 60 min tutoring session for the kids on Tuesdays (got to leave early on Friday) and also we had 30 mins at the end of the other days so I could usually squeeze kids in then, too. In addition, we also had extra-pay teachers, one for each subject, stay until 5 twice a week for tutoring as well.

At my new school, there is no tutoring that I am aware of. They have definitely not arranged for an hour tutoring session after school, and we only have 15 mins after school, so it would be hard to squeeze in a kid then and still leave on time.

Obviously I don't mind staying on my own time to help a kid once in awhile. But in this situation, how much help do you give on your own time, and when do you draw the line and expect the kid's family to hire a tutor? Do most schools build in tutoring/extra help time?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2009

In high school, my sons' teachers had 2 or 3 time periods per week that they were available for extra help. Maybe 1 or 2 before school times and 1 afternoon time? I think, especially as a first year teacher in a new district, that you would be showing a committment to your students' success by setting up a schedule for extra help that works for both you and your students.;)

4. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 9, 2009

My school offers an after-school program for 45 minutes once a week, but it's only for part of the year. I never tell parents that they should have their children tutored privately because it does cost them money, but I will suggest to them that their children need additional help in certain areas. I just never like to use the word "tutor" because I don't feel that I should be telling them to go out and spend money. Usually after I suggest that their children need extra help the parents in my school will either try working with the kids themselves or will then find a tutor.
    Some teachers in my school do give up some of their lunch periods to give extra help to the students also.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

Our school offers nothing. It's a private school and parents are expected to pay anyone who does private tutoring.

As a rule of thumb, I will not tutor anyone who is currently in my classroom.