Another thread from me...Confidence

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsBee, Jul 15, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 15, 2009

Here I go away with my threads. As you all know I have all these interviews and don't want to mess things up so I am trying to think of all possible things to post...lol:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Everyone keeps saying "go in and be confident"

What is confidence really and what did you do in the interview that showed you were confident.

I know look in the eyes, smile, strong hand shake, and believe in what you are saying...but what else?

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

Confidence is showing that you believe in yourself. You can't fake it. I know you believe in yourself or else you wouldn't be a teacher. We are all confident. We couldn't do this job if not. We just might not realize it all the time.

4. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 15, 2009

I think you've got it. As Zoe said believe in yourself and know you are the BEST person for the job.

5. MissLD

MissLD Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

Ok, I know this sounds silly, but what I did was say over and over again before my interview was "I'm going to my job tomorrow". I did this many times and after a little bit I really started to believe it. It is a good way to go into an interview.

6. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 15, 2009

It's all about being yourself, not the perfect interview robot! Talk to them about why you love teaching! Share your favorite teaching methods...show what you know.

And be honest about what you don't. Don't nod your head when they mention something you have no idea about. Be aware of your shortcomings and ways you will fix them.

Basically, being confident in an interview is knowing yourself.

7. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Ugh, I struggle with this constantly with almost every aspect of my life, especially interviews. I KNOW I can be a great teacher but there's always that little voice inside my head saying 'they'll hire someone better than you'. I've tried very hard to ignore that voice but its hard.

A few weeks ago I was talking with my aunt's friend, who is a teacher, and she told me I needed to go into each interview KNOWING that I am the best person for the job. If I don't think I'm the best, why would they hire me? It makes sense but actually believing it is another thing.

I have gotten more confident this hiring season having 5 interviews. My last interview went very well and I'm praying they call me to offer me a job! I went in knowing that I could do a good job and I think I portrayed that to them. They were impressed with some of my answers and seemed to like much of what I was saying. Keep looking over interview questions and all the advice that is given here and be prepared - I think that is a key to being confident along with believing that you can do the job well.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 15, 2009

Know it.
    Say it.
    Believe it.
    Let it come forth in your interview that you are enjoying talking to some really nice people about something that you know a whole lot about. It should be an enjoyable experience for you and your interviewer. :)

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

Jlyn~ your aunt's friend is right, you have to think that there is no one better than you.

MsBee~You have to convince them that though you are new to teaching; teaching is not new to you. I remember going to workshops or talking to other teachers when I first started and when I would say that it was my first year of teaching, they could not believe. I was thinking to a coworker who is a good friend now and she said that when she first met me she thought that I had been teaching for years. I had subbed for yrs, then went back to school to get my degree. You have make them believe that you are the best person for the job.

10. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

One thing that helps me is knowing that I don't have to have an immediate answer to every question. I know going in that there is usually going to be at least 1 question coming out of left field. Yesterday's was re: child abuse.

It's ok to pause and think through your answer; much better than starting on one path and then ending your answer with something completely unrelated or contradictory. Just make sure that you don't say, "um" a lot or pause on every question. Interviewers and people in general like to see that you're considering your response rather than having a patent answer memorized or thinking on the fly.

Also, if you feel that you look professional (like a teacher whom you admire and respect for their professionalism), you'll immediately project an error that this is not just acting for you.

Talk about how you are a teacher in and outside of the classroom. At my current desk job I'm the person that others come to for advice and to explain ideas they didn't grasp during training. I always include this as a way to show that teaching is who I am regardless of the arena.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

Believe in yourself and your abilities to be an effective teacher. Believe in your ideas and in who you are.

I am worried that you are stressing yourself out too much! Try to relax.

12. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

I am def stressing so be worried! lol
    I'll try to relax today.

But I do say a lot of umms but I dont pause a lot on every question. I need to work on that. Sometimes it may seem like I am talking from memorization!

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

You said your mom is a teacher? Try pretending that you are sitting around telling her about your future classroom.

14. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

I'm going to practice today

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2009

I struggle with this to! As other posters have said you really need to believe that this is your job. The interviews where I believed this I did a but much better job on.

16. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

We all have nervous habits. I for instance have developed a new habit of talking with my hands so I try to keep them folded on the table.

I don't think you need to pause on purpose but it's ok if you need to. I don't think interviewers expect you to have an immediate response for every question they could possibly ask. They'd rather you have a genuine response. Some of the obscure questions I've gotten where I remember pausing have been:

How do you feel about associating with your colleagues outside of work?

What if you saw the parent of one of your students in a compromising position (say if they were drunk)? How would you handle this situation?

What is the most important "teacher item" that you have purchased?

17. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

I talk with my hands too. Is that bad?

18. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jul 16, 2009

You know what..my first year of teaching..before going into the interview I practiced, practiced, practiced...everything was like...rehearsed and so were my answers...

But this year...I had 2 interviews and both interviews went SOOO WELL. At first I was so nervous in both..of course I've had 3 years of teaching experience now so am able to relate my experiences to each question..but I read over a lot of questions online..but did not rehearse any...just kind of thought over how I might answer them in my head...I did a lot of thinking. I never truly had someone sit down and ask me the questions this time. I also didn't worry about the little things like "How to shake their hands...how to smile...How to avoid saying words like "um"....because If I would have been worried about those little things...I woud have been a THOUSAND times MORE nervous and messed up my interview so badly.

I focused on being my bubbly self. I DID say um...I DID say "Hmm..i have to think about that for a second, that's a tough question!!!"...and then I followed the question with a very PASSIONATE answer....I was VERY honest in my interview, and there was 1 question that I didn't even know the answer to...a certain program that I am unfamiliar with for reading...and they appreciated my honesty and said there will be trainings on it.

I participated on a Pilot team at my old school and I talked about my passion for reading and experiences collaborating with other teachers...I just made sure that my LOVE for seeing growth, and never giving up shined through. You need to focus on your positive qualities and make sure it shines through during your interview...I wouldn't even FOCUS on those little things like "how to walk..how to talk..." because you want them to see YOU....I almost sat in the wrong chair when I walked into one of my interviews and they all started laughing, but it completely broke the ice....it's really all how you make it.

I am FAR from perfect...and I let them KNOW that...I'm not going to pretend like i'm perfect because you're not going to fool anyone...but they liked my bubbly personality, and somehow I got it..and there were 20 others interviewed, then a second interview after that. You have to remember they are going to want to hire someone that THEY want to work with on a daily basis!!! :)

19. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

Hmmm.... what is it? I would like to hear this answer. I am thinking too hard about this one. I cannot think of an answer. hmmm.

20. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

Maybe a book "First Days of School?"

I don't know.

21. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 16, 2009

I think you have gotten very good advice. When I would interview I was so desperate to find a job I would psyche myself out before I even walked in the door. Eventually, after so many interviews, it became easier- more like having a conversation with some educators.

Just walk and talk like you can do the job they are asking you to do. You can do it. I talk with my hands myself, so I could never fault someone else for that. Those are pretty weird questions newbie, I don't know what the interviewee's answers would tell you about a person's teaching ability.

22. HG101

HG101 New Member

Jul 16, 2009

Believe in yourself. Picture yourself doing well in the interview. Sit down and relax and visualize yourself in the interview. Run through an interview in your head doing everything correct. Actually feel yourself sitting in a room with the interview committee asking you the questions and feel yourself answering and feeling confident about your answers.

If you were to ask any top athlete how they prepare for winning a game, they do the same thing.

Don't forget to visualize the phone ringing and talking to the principal and saying, "Yes, I will take the job."