Another teacher suspended for blogging about her students

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by catnfiddle, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 17, 2011

I've definitely given away my identity on this forum. Heck, I've recommended this site to my department during meetings and have told them my screen name. I just do my best to stay positive and, if complaining about something in my professional life, keep it constructive. It's doable. I also NEVER mention a student by name, even just a first name or initial.

As for whether the the same discussion would be had if the teacher had gone positive, probably not. However, a positive teacher would not use such poisonous language in describing the school school experience.

2. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 17, 2011

wow

Yes, we have had a bad day but what gives anyone the right to say MEAN, HURTFUL, comments about a student INCLUDING calling NAMES?! First off, it's childish. Secondly, if you really think children are "little shits" and "stupid" THEN DON'T BE A TEACHER OR A PARENT OR IN ANY OTHER FIELD THAT HAS TO DO WITH CHILDREN.

I have had TERRIBLE DAYS. I had a terrible year 2 years ago with pregnancy hormones going and I NEVER ONCE called a student a name behind their back. NEVER! THAT'S inappropriate. Grow up and act like an adult.

As far as posting on here. I feel it's wise to be as anonymous as you can. When I vent, I even try to be as vague as possible and when I have or even talking about my Principal, I don't say mean, hurtful things. I use words that can be called "constructive criticism" THAT'S the secret :lol:

3. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Feb 17, 2011

Oh, and I just read in her blog that she called a student "Jackass" for asking a simple question about Beowulf's relation to Canterbury Tales.

I take everything back. She deserved to be fired.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2011

After school today, around no children, a colleague called one student a "f*cker". Plenty of other things were said as well by various people. I experienced the same day she did and I don't look at her poorly because of this at all. Great teacher, great person, ridiculous situation and student.

5. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Feb 17, 2011

This woman taught HONORS English... and is writing a blog that she knows will be seen by hundreds and yet she can't get then and than right. Hm.

"(Interesting fact: it takes longer to apply the makeup then it does to do an interview.)"

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2011

I try to keep details about who I am out of it as much as possible..

I know I have said some negative things on here, as a teacher, I don't think that is wrong, we are human and have real opinions about our schools and the students we work with. I know I have said and thought what many would consider to be "bad or awful" things about the job/students. I just try and be careful who I say those specific comments to.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2011

Been there, said that. I have heard my own principal make similar comments about students in more private meetings.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2011

Plenty of very intelligent people here have made the same mistake...several times. And lose and loose? Forget it. I think pointing out a then/than error on a personal, for-fun blog is being overly-critical. She had seven friends who followed her blog...stupid on her part, but I don't think it dawned on her that others might read it.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2011

Same here.

10. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2011

I read the article on her. Some of her ideas for new "comments" for report cards; you have to admit, very funny.

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 17, 2011

This is a reason why I don't say things like that, or cuss in general, in conversations at school. And it sort of adds some to this topic. I know that if I cuss for a reason, it's for effect and I won't take it too far (i.e. start swearing like a sailor). But there are many people who populate schools and staff rooms, who don't know how to turn it on/off. In this case, somewhere in her comments... she went from healthy venting to petty and classless.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2011

Ok, I know several people here have said they have said things like this in private. I am not judging your comments made in private, you have that right. As for myself, I just have never said anything like this either. This includes when I worked with middle school and high school students. I always looked for ways to get to them. My focus has been how to make connections and get them to care, not scorn them for not caring. The personal investment theory says we invest our time and energy in things we deem meaningful, relevant, and will give us overall personal growth. We must tap into these things to get our students to care. That's our job. But to sit there and bad-mouth them just shows she has not made personal connections with her students. Not to mention how this looks bad on all of us. There is already a negative opinion of teachers, and this just adds to it I'm sure.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2011

I did not find anything humorous about them. I honestly did not. It gave me a sick feeling to hear everything she had written. Imagining her as your own child's teacher might put what she did in better perspective.

14. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Feb 17, 2011

It actually was pulled from her post from a few days ago about her current debacle. In the same post she explains how she never realized how popular her blog would become. The same blog which has 25,000+ views.

I'm merely saying that if I was the one making a case for my innocence and continuing to blog about how much attention I was getting, I'd proofread.

I guess I should never start my own blog; I'd probably be more negative thAn her when it comes to unacceptable mistakes such as that.

15. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2011

I won't fault you for not laughing. I personally don't see anything wrong with laughing about it. There are plenty of students that I enjoy and don't ever think those things about. On the other hand, there are plenty that, I would expect more of myself if I was their parent. (thats the nice way of putting it)

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2011

Oh, I understand...I didn't realize it was from a recent post. Still, it's a minor mistake. I think she probably has bigger faults.

I'm assuming that A is capitalized on purpose. :haha:

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2011

lol......:lol:

18. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Feb 17, 2011

I just found it funny that she complained (numerous times) about her students' lack of understanding for the English language and in the process of defending such comments, she made a mistake that would make most English teachers cringe.

Plus, me do like good grammar alot.:p

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 17, 2011

"rat-like", "dresses like a streetwalker", "frightfully dim"....

No...I do not have to admit these are very funny. Quite the contrary. I have to admit these comments are nothing more than useless insults that bring the teacher down to the same level as the students she so openly criticizes.

There is nothing productive about the comments at all, they are designed solely to insult and demean the student about which they are written. This only confirms Ms. Moore's apparent lack of professionalism.

Comments about students do NOT have to be sugary-sweet or positively-phrased to be productive. There is nothing wrong at all with telling a parent very plainly "Your child is giving no effort at all in my class." That focuses on the fact of their behavior (rather than an insulting opinion) and also addresses WHY the student is currently failing the class. From there, the parent(s) and I can focus on ways to correct the behavior or issues their child may be facing. On the other hand, saying "Your son is frightfully dim" doesn't leave any room for improvement.

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2011

Ok Lets say it is beautiful day, the sky is clear, the birds are singing, the children come in singing:
    We love you Teacher
    Oh yes we do
    We love you Teacher
    And will be true!
    When you're not near us
    We're blue!
    Oh, Teacher, we love you..​
    You have a great lesson that has hit a home run in your first three classes.
    Now comes the one student who not a teacher can reach
    He/she cusses, sits in the classroom plays with anything He/she can get his/her hands on, is a smart student who never applies himself/herself. Today this student has decided today is the day to raise unholy hell. (think the worst behaved students you have every seen)
    Soon other students take on a mob mentality and join the student
    Your lesson is in shambles you look at the clock and do a silent prayer asking God to speed up the hands of time.
    When the class leaves you sink into your chair, your self image is in the round receptacle, the room has papers all over the floor.

Now don't you think you should be able to be human and VENT?
    [​IMG]
    At times I feel the politically correct and the 'pat Johnny on the head when he fails' squad is just asking too much. We tend to handle students with kid gloves, oh don't tell Johnny he is failing it will hurt his self esteem.
    Sometimes the mix of kids are just too much to handle.
    Not all teachers can be perfect 100% of the time. Thomas Edison tried more than 9,000 experiments before he created the first successful light bulb. :soapbox:

21. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 18, 2011

Absolutely - teachers should be able to vent!

But I respectfully submit calling a kid "Jackass" for asking a question about how two assignments are connected or suggesting the types of comments she did for report cards goes far beyond venting. It displays a level of constant intolerance, as do her comments about writing a student up for continuing to tap on the desk and "snapping" at students for arguing with her about swapping chairs.

That last incident, more than the others IMO, illustrate her inability to maintain both her composure and control in the classroom. It was immature and petty to let herself even have an argument about the chairs to begin with. She is the teacher - period. That is reason enough for her to decide what chairs she will - and will NOT - swap out. As I said before, a better reply would be "This isn't open for discussion". The kids baited her into a petty argument and she fell for it hook, line and sinker. Sure, we all have bad days where we let our professionalism slip and things that normally wouldn't turn our hands just hit a wrong nerve, but it sounds like this was more the standard for her behavior and reactions rather than the exception.

I could be wrong. I realize this judgment is based on only a select few posts from her blog. I also agree with your earlier point that this would be a non-story if her posts were positive and praising her students and their efforts. We would never have heard about it if that were the case. But the fact is her comments weren't positive and, in my opinion (and several others), went well beyond regular venting.

I honestly wasn't bothered by the "lazy whiners" comment because it does sound like several of the kids ARE lazy whiners - especially the one that kept whining about getting a "B" when he didn't study for the test. Sorry, Charlie. Maybe next time you will take my advice to study before the test a little more seriously. That part didn't bother me and I did feel it was normal venting any of us might do. It was the name-calling, apparent lack of self control, insults and demeaning comments about the kids that pushed it past "acceptable venting" for me.

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2011

What is professionalism?
    What I mean one person's unprofessional statement is another person's "tough love" statement.

As educators we are held to a higher standard BUT is that "right or fair?"
    After all we have teachers who live with boyfriends and girlfriends, we have teachers who influence students in politics, we have teachers who drink, we have teachers who do things that are called unprofessional in education but in other professions are ignored.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 18, 2011

I think "tough love" only really works when there's love along with the tough.

Drill instructors in the Marine Corps can be... forceful... in dealing with their charges, but they're not in the habit of using the same language to characterize the young men in question once outside the gates.

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 18, 2011

Using profanity or insults regarding students is something that should be kept private. A public blog is the equivalent of screaming your thoughts in the middle of the school lobby. Students Google search for their teachers all the time. Having had my Twitter feed found by a student reminded me of that (thankfully it's now protected but I always keep it positive because at least one administrator follows my tweets).

25. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 18, 2011

Since we're proofreading...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.