Another rejection

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mykids1, Aug 3, 2009.

1. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Yes, I got another rejection letter. I'm not even getting that many interviews this summer. It's starting to do a number on my self-esteem and confidence. :(

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

Boy can I feel your pain:(

4. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Aug 3, 2009

Dont' let it get you. At least your getting letters! I've sent out over 15 resumes this summer and nothing! It's rough all over I'm sure. I spent a huge amount of time resenting the work and years spent getting a teacher's licence, only to be sitting at home. But, I've resolved myself to subbing this year to get my foot in the door. Good luck to you, I'm sure it will work out.

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

This job hunting is all very discouraging.
    :hugs: to all

6. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I get SO MANY rejection emails that they don't even bother me anymore. The first several bothered me, but it's almost become funny now. I just choose to believe that the schools are overwhelmed with applications and they probably never even got to mine before making their decision. That makes me feel better.

I mailed out 67 resumes last Monday and I haven't heard anything yet. I mailed out about 70 earlier in the summer and received 3 calls and 2 interviews. That's not a very good return on my investment, but....oh well. At least I know I can get a job doing mass mailouts if I ever need to.

It sucks, and it can easily make you feel like maybe YOU suck, but you just have to remember that you've got all kinds of skills and things that are great about you. Eventually (hopefully sooner than later), some school's going to figure that out and give you a job.

7. Piggy

Piggy Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

It'll happen when the time is right.

Don't bet yourself up.

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

I do understand where you are coming from. Hang in there...There is still time! :)

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2009

It's so tough, but try not to let it get to you. Remember all it takes is one "yes," no matter how many rejections you receive.

10. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

:hugs:

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

:hugs:

12. gagirl

gagirl Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Hey, mykids1 - I know how it feels . . . I was so hopeful over the weekend about one position in particular that I had applied for, and just received a rejection letter. I didn't even get so far as an interview! :( So please hang in there, and know that you aren't alone! It's tough out there, but soon someone will be lucky to have you as a teacher . . . :hugs:

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

Don't let it get you down!
    You're getting interviews! That's great :D

14. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

Aug 4, 2009

Keep your chin up . It is not your fault they cannot see an excellent teacher in front of them. There is a child that really needs you and that will be your job. KEEP THE FAITH!

15. txnewbie

txnewbie Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

At least you get a rejection letter, in my case there was nothing. No email, no phone call, just nothing.

16. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I think I would give anything for a rejection letter right now! I am getting up in the morning and driving around with resumes. I would say that I won't come home without a job.......but I don't want to sleep under a bridge.

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 4, 2009

What part of TX Laken?
    :rolleyes:

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 4, 2009

19. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

You know what would help someone find a position in Texas? Being bilingual! It seems like EVERY job that's available right now is for bilingual teachers. Whywhywhy did I let my Spanish skills go?

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 4, 2009

Heymiss~ Keep the faith. I am in Texas, not bilingual and I found a job. Your time is coming. I hope you get that call soon!:)

21. txnewbie

txnewbie Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

So bilingual means you gotta know Spanish right? Very soon everyone who is looking for a job must speak Spanish???

22. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

Ya know....before I got into the program I just graduated from, my major was Spanish. I've had 14 hours of it already. As soon as I finish an internship, I'm probably going to get bilingual certified. Either that, or I'll get HS Spanish certified, which was my original goal. It will be so much easier finding a job after that. I just mailed off an application that asked if I was bilingual. I answered that I'm not fluent, but I learn fast. I should have stressed those 14 hours. Who knows....maybe that will help land me an interview.

I'm also playing with getting either 4-8 Generalist or 4-8 Math. I've been working with HS level math (mainly Algebra) as an aide for the last three years. One of the teachers I work with has asked why I didn't try to go into JH math. I might do that too.

I have so many things I want to add to my certificate, I don't know what I want to do! But, it's going to have to wait. I noticed a LOT of Spanish teaching jobs available. If you're bilingual certified, you could pretty much get a job anywhere.

Anyway....to the OP.....schools are seeing something in you, otherwise, you wouldn't be getting interviews. Chalk each one up as learning experience. You know what kinds of questions that another panel might ask, and you will go into the next interview cool and confident and blow them away!!

23. prek176

prek176 Companion

Aug 5, 2009

In my neck of the woods it seems to be beneficial in the hiring process to work in the system as either an aide or a substitute. I know that neither pay well but both give you experience in a classroom setting and you become "known" especially in a small school. Another benefit is that you can keep fresh with your teaching skills and maybe even add to your idea list by observing what other teachers are doing. I think this would help in the application process as well. Subbing in a variety of grade levels will help you to be more comfortable and knowledgeable when answering those classroom management/philosophy questions you may be asked. I know this works because it happened to me and I have seen it happen with others! Good luck to all of you still looking!!