Another reason to stay positive...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by swansong1, Jun 6, 2012.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2012

...because my district in Florida has 144 jobs posted with more to come after the resignations and retirements kick in once school's out.

3. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 6, 2012

No tenure anymore, teacher rights have been totally gutted. Who in his or her right mind would move there?

THAT'S why people are bailing in Florida.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

Thank you for posting this information. I'm sure that many job seekers will welcome the information.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2012

Please don't post all of your negative comments in a place on the forum where people are looking for motivation. I'm rarely rude to any poster...but I'll make an exception for you.

And, if I remember correctly, you don't even live here so your information is all second hand gossip.

6. Nichole906

Nichole906 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

Thanks swansong! Not sure if I could move to FL, but its nice just to hear some positive news

7. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jun 7, 2012

:yeahthat: Exactly!

Thanks for the info, swansong!

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2012

I'll add 96 open positions in my district in FL!

9. FT2012

FT2012 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

Where are these positions? I am moving to the west coast this summer because my fiancé’s job transferred him.

I am looking for a job in Pinellas or Pasco County, but I can't find any postings. I'm very worried, because I don't want to be in a new state completely jobless.

Also, can anyone explain the teaching climate in Florida? I never anticipated moving to another state, but I guess that's life. I come from a tenure state, so I'm guessing there are differences.

Any additional tips on obtaining a job in Florida would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

:)

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2012

Wow, that's quite a few positions. I think that my district has had about 5 open positions so far.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2012

Find every single school within an hour's school, and send your cover letter and resume to the principal. Don't wait for the opening, send the letter and resume.

And make sure that your letter screams "This is a teacher you want to meet!!"

12. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 7, 2012

Thanks for posting! I tried to move to Florida, when there basically was a hiring freeze in the districts I wanted to move to. However, I love teaching were I am so it all worked out. I live in a non-union state and that's okay with me. Its never held me back.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2012

Right now the tenure debacle in Florida is headed for a showdown in the legislature, so we may get it back in the future.

If you like the weather, Florida is the most marvelous place to live. I have taught in many states and they are all very similar. I have really never seen any difference in the quality of education in any of the states I have taught in.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2012

I got to about 20 open positions in Pinellas before I quit counting: https://www.pcsb.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=1032

Have you applied for your certification yet? This is the busy time up in Tally, so it could take them two-three months to process you if you haven't applied yet.

Brush up on Marzano and his best practices... I know Hillsborough is using Gates; I'm not sure about the other two.

Also: Florida counties are just now starting to release open positions for next school year. Some counties might not even have them up til July. It's not time to freak out yet.

I can't really compare Florida to anywhere else; I've only ever taught here. But I suppose it's like most other states: turmoil in government rippling down into the schools.

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 7, 2012

Oh, Cherbrutta is right. Apply for the license. It's exciting to see so many job opportunities. We have openings in MS. However, not as many in my district as in the past.

16. FT2012

FT2012 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

chebrutta,

I am aware of those positions and have e-mailed my resume and cover letter to some principals. There are a lot of k-6 postings on there, but many of them are all at the same school. So, I only sent one e-mail and noted the grades I was most interested in and qualified to teach. I e-mailed maybe 3 principals, which doesn't seem like a lot to me. I haven't heard anything back yet and I'm moving in about 7 weeks.

I am a brand new teacher and I'm waiting for my certification to finishing processing through my home state, then I'm going to send my information to Florida. Do you think this would be a problem? My college advisor suggested I do it this way, because it will be easier. He said my certification should transfer over without any additional requirements.

Also, I have a master's degree in elementary education; is that an advanced or disadvantage in the hiring process? I know sometimes money comes into play when you have a master's degree and districts don't want to pay.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. :thanks:

17. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Jun 7, 2012

I am relocating to central Florida this summer. I've seen many posted positions and have applied like crazy. However, I'm not hearing anything back so I'm beginning to worry.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2012

It's not time to worry yet. Based on what I see in the Job Searchers forum, Florida is behind almost everyone else in hiring. That's because most districts don't do nonrenewals until the very end of the school year. Then add in retirements and resignations... and waiting for the budget to come out July 1st... and it all happens later - and faster - than other states.

FT... this is the crazy season for certification at the DOE. Everyone whose cert is expiring June 30th is recerting like crazy. Starting July 1st, new people will be applying for certs (July 1st starts the new year for certification). The absolute second you get your certification from your current state, get on the FLDOE and apply. And make sure you apply formally through the school district - many Ps down here won't consider you unless you're in the system.

19. FT2012

FT2012 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

chebrutta, thank you so much for your help. This whole moving situation happened so suddenly and it has my head spinning. I did call one county (twice actually) and they were very nice and helpful; however, I always like hearing the information from real teachers that have been through the process.

Do you know anything about the Great Florida Teach-In? I read about it online, its a career fair in Tampa. Is it worth going to? I am going down to Florida at the end of the month to sign for an apartment, so I could easily fit this into my schedule.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 7, 2012

My district in the north part of Houston has 88 high school openings, 24 elementary openings, and 32 middle school openings!

21. DisLauraT

DisLauraT Rookie

Jun 13, 2012

Trying to stay positive!

I've emailed many principals hoping for some kind of response. So far nothing...

I plan on attending the Great Florida Teach In next week. I am hoping to set up some interviews when I am visiting.

I think I am not taken seriously because I haven't moved from IL yet. I can't justify moving to FL without having a job lined up.

Any FL job seekers getting called?
    Is there hope for me? :D

22. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Jun 13, 2012

I am in the same position. It's hard to make a move without having the job to back you up but I've applied online and emailed the principals and no word. I know a ton of positions are available because I check and apply online daily but am wondering if I am not being called because I am still located in New York. My cousin has offered me her address to send out resumes since she lives in Florida currently but I wouldn't want them to call and I would be in New York. I am going to go down the first week of July to stay with my cousin and look for employment. I'm not sure when or if I should use her address and if that would make a difference.

23. TryingToTeach11

TryingToTeach11 Rookie

Jun 13, 2012

Sometimes, schools use your address as a way to easily narrow down the hundreds of applicants they get. If your cousin offered her address, I would use it! If you get an interview they'll call to schedule and I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to get down there in time.

When you go later on for a week, I would make sure that you call/email schools and let them know you'll be there and would like to meet with them. As a warning though, sometimes they can't fit you in during that time frame and you'll have to stay longer. I would go visit asap and stay as long as you need to if thats possible at all.

24. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Jun 13, 2012

Which district is that? I am looking in and around HOuston.

25. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 13, 2012

I'll PM you, Gossamer. :)