Another reason for teachers not to post on Facebook

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 9, 2013

I wonder who reported it? It may have been bad judgement, but it's not THAT bad! Get a life, folks.

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2013

I see no problem with the picture and while I wouldn't post it on my personal Facebook page, I see no reason why she should have been fired for posting it.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2013

Nj law has upheld the firing of public employees for posts/photos online even with security features enabled. I guard my privacy here and on other public forums. I have a FB account, but I'm judicious in what I post and who I friend...not only because of potential employment ramifications, but because I dont feel the need or desire to put it all out there in terms of my private life.

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2013

With my Facebook when I was teaching I did not post anything that could even remotely be construed as being risqué and I had to watch my sailor son posting something "risqué"

Now katie bar the door I post anything I want

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2013

I'm shocked that she was fired for this...

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2013

It's entirely possible that it was the last in a series of poor choices.

We seldom get the full story when it comes to a sensational headline.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Nov 11, 2013

She wasn't fired from a teaching position, she was fired from her position as the basketball coach.

She was (or is) a substitute teacher rather than a full-time teacher. There is no mention of whether her status as a substitute teacher has been affected or not, but the school can always just choose NOT to call her for sub assignments without firing her.

Her fiance' is the varsity football coach. I searched a number of articles but found no mention of whether he also taught classes or not.

The school district has stated the firing is based on the posting of the photo to Facebook and has stood by that decision despite Cook removing the photo. So it doesn't seem there is any previous history of bad decisions on her part.

Many parents have come forward in support of Cook and asked that she be given her coaching job back. They say she has been a good influence on their girls. Cook has filed a formal grievance with the district to get her job back and is going through the multi-step process associated with that action.