Another reason for teachers not to post on Facebook

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2013

Poor Judgment
    And to top it off "Her fiancé is also a co-worker. He was reprimanded but will keep his job."

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Nov 8, 2013

It may be poor judgment on the part of the now-former coach, but it is a ridiculous over-reaction by the school system and the comments of the school attorney claiming the teacher has "no sense and no class" are simply outrageous. A mild reprimand coupled with a suggestion it might be best to remove the photo from the FB page would have been a much more appropriate response.

But unless the teacher is "friends" with some (or several) of her students, allowing them access to view her page, I see nothing wrong with the picture she posted. It's not something *I* would post on my page, but I don't consider it to be grossly inappropriate either.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 8, 2013

I don't think we have heard the last of this.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 8, 2013

As a teacher, I can post to Facebook if I want.

As a teacher, I post knowing that my admin (and some parents of students and a LOT of FORMER students can see it). No one can post to my page without my permission.

So, to me, teachers shouldn't stay away from FB. Teachers need to be mindful of the content they post.

I don't find the photo the teacher in the article Dave posted to be offensive, but I would not have posted something like that.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 8, 2013

She would not have been fired at my school.

I wouldn't post it, but I'm also in the camp of what she does in her own time is her business. I'm not friends on FB with any admin or former students or parents. I don't post anything I shouldn't but I keep everything set to private anyway.

7. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 8, 2013

Why was she fired but not her fiance? I don't think it's right to fire either of them, but that struck me as odd.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 8, 2013

I think it's interesting that the photo is so offensive-but still it's included with the story. So, not offensive enough to be blurred or even left out.

I agree it's in bad taste, I wouldn't post a photo like that regardless of what my job was, but I don't see how it affects her teaching ability at all.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2013

It's not a reason for teachers to not post on FB....It's a reason to be judicious in what one posts.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2013

I don't have a facebook account.

But this isn't about posting on facebook. This is about being too stupid to edit what you post.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 8, 2013

I just don't know why anyone would post a picture like that on FB. Not something I would do even if I was not a teacher. I am friends with a lot of family members on FB and I would be mortified if they saw that.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2013

If I posted that picture on FB, the next picture tagged of me would on my wife's page with a black eye.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 8, 2013

:rofl:

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2013

:yeahthat:

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 8, 2013

I think the part I find most disturbing is that they decided the man did not warrant losing his job, but the woman did.

16. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 8, 2013

She is the one who posted the picture, not him.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 8, 2013

Also, do we know if either of them were actual teachers, or paras, or coaches? I would think it's probably easier to just fire a coach only, than a teacher. Maybe he was a teacher, and she held a staff position, acting as the coach.

18. monsieurteacher

Nov 8, 2013

And he posed for it.

19. monsieurteacher

Nov 8, 2013

Also, he is a coach as well.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2013

I assume that it was the posting of the picture, not the posing for or taking of the picture that was deemed inappropriate by the school.

Either way, I think it's stupid. This is not something that I would post, but it's also not even close to the most offensive or even most questionable thing I've seen on Facebook. I wonder if they were looking for a reason to fire her anyway and this was sort of like the final straw. Who knows.

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 8, 2013

One perk of being fat... my photo would never been seen on FB in a bikini with a man touching my boob.

Some people don't have a clue when it comes to what should and shouldn't be posted on FB. I'm even careful about the language I use on there. I've seen other teacher friends post sh-- and dam- but I don't. I'd be afraid something would be said if I did. I'm even careful about sharing cute jokes if it came from a page with a curse word in the title of the page.

His butt should be fired. HE grabbed her. HE posted the pic.

22. monsieurteacher

Nov 8, 2013

Doing some further digging, she was a substitute teacher, while her fiance is a football coach. She probably coaches along with her. Now they have sent her certification to the state board for possible revocation. Seems like a bit of overkill.

23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2013

:lol:

Oh, this really made me laugh. I'm right there with you!

24. monsieurteacher

Nov 8, 2013

:rofl:

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2013

I think actually she posted the picture. At least that's what I got from the story.

26. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 8, 2013

Ohhhhhh ok. Stupid on her part for posting it. Stupid on his part for grabbing it. Stupid on the photographer's part for shooting it.

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 8, 2013

I also think it's the posting of the pic that was the nail in her coffin, not necessarily the pic itself. I'd like to believe that if HE posted it, it would be his ass, not hers. FWIW, I'm not gonna say my hubby has never grabbed my boob in a picture, BUT it's sure not going to be posted on FB!

28. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2013

My last three Facebook posts. You be the judge.

Word of advice to all aspiring children's book authors. If your name happens to be Richard, but you go by Dick, please use Richard as your name on the cover of the book. Otherwise, there might be first grade teachers who want to hurt you.

Following an afternoon of very pleasant and productive parent teacher conferences, I shall now literally ride off into the sunset.

(Posted on the morning of November 1)
    Dear Citizens of The Town Where I Teach,
    Please tell me what you put in your Halloween candy. For some reason, my first grade students are being incredibly good right now.

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2013

That is the $64,000 question! LOL

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2013

This is what I meant, Poor headline writing, my bad.

31. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2013

Well I wouldn't let a man touch my boob either :whistle::spitwater:

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2013

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2013

I am so tired of reading reasons shouldn't use or "post on" Facebook. It's absurd.

In this particular instance, I don't see this as a reason for anyone at school to speak to her or her fiance.

34. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2013

Wish she had been my 4th grade teacher......

35. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 8, 2013

Maybe because he didn't post the photo?

36. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2013

I think more people need to stop and consider what is public on their Facebook accounts. I'm sure that pic was a funny moment for the two of them, but I don't think it was a good one to share with the whole world.

37. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 9, 2013

Well, depending on how you have your settings with Facebook, anything you post doesn't necessarily have to be shared with the whole world.

If the teacher had her settings so that anybody and everybody could see all of her photos, then I fear she's now dealing with the consequences (although I don't feel it's THAT inappropriate).

It raises a good question. As teachers, I realize we have certain responsibilities. But at what point do allow those to infringe on our personal freedoms?

For example, I'm not a smoker, so this scenario wouldn't happen, but if a teacher smokes, should he/she only smoke in their home? Should they not be puffing away in their car, for fear that a student may be walking down the street and see it?

Or if a teacher runs into a few students in the grocery store...should he make sure he doesn't have a box of condoms in the cart? Or a couple of bottles of wine?

38. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Nov 9, 2013

Those are good points, Ted, especially the concerns about students seeing teachers buying alcohol or going to a local bar.

I had that happen once as I was going into a local bar and grill. I saw some students from the alternative school where I subbed standing outside. They kinda laughed and said "Uh-huh, teacher going in to drink him some beer." I just smiled and said "Maybe. Maybe not. Haven't decided yet. I'm here for the wings tonight."

But while subbing at the school, I had some kids ask if I ever "partied" in college. I didn't see any reason to lie about it so I told them I wasn't a "party animal", but I did my share. Before they could respond, though, I said "However, the difference is that I did NOT 'party' at all until I was legal age." :cool:

39. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 9, 2013

I don't think that picture was a big deal and the situation is unfortunate.

Regarding alcohol, I went straight from school yesterday to the nearest grocery store to pick up a few things, including a bottle of wine and 6-pack of beer. I ran into 2 different students with their parents within 5 minutes. All that was said about my basket contents at all was one mother laughing and saying "it's been one of those weeks, eh?"

I wouldn't think twice about buying alcohol. I've even been served beer by one of my students at a local sporting event.

40. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 9, 2013

A current student? Or a former student? Don't they have to be at least 18 to serve? So I guess it could be a Senior.

41. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 9, 2013

Current and while this one WAS a senior, sadly it's not uncommon for me to have 18 year old sophomores and juniors as well. I recently had a student who was told he had to stop coming because he'd hit 21 and was still only a junior. He had to switch to night school.