another question.

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissKinderK, Oct 17, 2010.

1. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Oct 17, 2010

I am doing timelines coming up soon. I have NO idea how to introduce this for kindergarten. I have four weeks to cover it, starting with days of the week, months of the year, seasons, ect. Any ideas?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 17, 2010

Could you start, maybe, by doing a time line of a normal school day? Maybe use register tape (or sentence strips?) and have students help come up with things to put on it as the day progresses.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 17, 2010

After re-reading your post I realize I may have misunderstood your problem and use of timelines. If so, just ignore that post. :)

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 17, 2010

Christy, I think you idea is perfect to introduce time lines. One of the best tactics in teaching is to base the learning upon what they all ready know.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 17, 2010

Just use lots of pictures. If you use Christy's example-take pics of those activities and ask the kids to put them in order. You can do the same with the seasons. Or apply it to a story you read to them.

It's a really hard concept for them as you can tell by how many times they say "yesterday I am going to go to....".

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 19, 2010

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 19, 2010

I was going to suggest pictures, too. Ask their parents to cooperate on making timelines with pictures from birth to present day.

The thing to remember is that you will be helping them to practice many different skills that relate to both math and reading. Introduce vocabulary relating to time as you discuss; before, after, yesterday, today, tomorrow.

When you work on calendars, make sure not to isolate the calendar into separate months.