Another question from a new teacher

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by CanadianTeacher, Oct 9, 2005.

1. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 9, 2005

The kids I teach seem to have an issue with keeping track of their stuff. A much larger number of students than I would expect, either do not bother to keep the handouts of work that I give them or just plain lose them....by the very next day. My inclination would be for each of them to have a French duotang (at least the grade 7's) so that their work stays in one place and can be collected at will by me when I want to check it, or it is easily and quickly accessible to them when we take it up in class. My question is...Is it appropriate to take this much control or is it more to their advantage to enforce the fact that it is THEIR responsibility to keep track of their work/organize themselves properly? I know what's better for me, but I would think that by grade 7, there is much more onus on the student to keep themselves organized. My daughter is in grade 7 and I know that the teachers don't take it upon themselves to keep the students organized at her school (neither do I think they should). On one hand I'm thinking that they will never learn to be organized if they don't have to do it, but on the other hand, I know deep down that so many of them function on a much lower level than the average kid that age, and I would just be banging my head against the wall to even try. As for the grade 8's, they NEED to do it because if they don't, grade 9 won't be kind to them. What's the most appropriate action to take?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 9, 2005

I just require my middle schoolers to have one notebook and one folder for their class with me (math). My 5th graders are required to have a 3 composition notebooks, a homework folder (which I provide), and several pocket folders. They may not have any other type of notebooks or filing systems. I even specified what type of pencil case they were allowed to have in their desks.

I can see it both ways. However, if disorganization is taking time out of your subject area, then specify what they are to have and give consequences when they are not prepared. I wouldn't worry about their future. Frankly, I think they could be organized if they cared enough to do so.

4. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Oct 9, 2005

Our 7th graders have a HORRIBLE time keeping up with their things. Regardless of the level the student functions at, the younger we start with these kids on how to organize, the better!!!

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 9, 2005

Thank you for your comments. I do think it's more of an 'I don't care' attitude taken by them, but nevertheless...

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2005

I had to smile when I read your question about organization--this seems to be such a problem for so many kids! I have my students use a duotang for each subject, because it at least gives them a place to put those papers and it is easy to collect. (I really dislike those huge zippered binders that they all love...I don't use them and tell the kids to take them home.) When my students go to French, they don't get to leave the room until they show the teacher their new papers put into their duotang! In my classroom, those who are severely organizationally challenged receive a red file folder to put on top of their desk. Every loose paper goes in there, and once every couple of days we take a few minutes at recess to put them in the proper duotang. If anyone else has some great ideas for keeping kids organized I'd love to hear them!

7. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 10, 2005

Well that answers my question. I will ask each of my grade 7's to bring in a duotang for their French stuff. Thank you for all the input. It is these small issues that end up wasting so much precious teaching time.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 10, 2005

I started last year to have my 2nd graders keep 2 folders. The Red folder is their homework folder. Anything they need to take home goes there. The Blue folder is their work folder. Any loose papers that we're working on go here. During the day, the folders stay in their desks. At the end of the day, the red folder always goes home. I've started trying to teach these kids a little organization through this. We also outlined how our desks should look. All books and notebooks go on one side of the desk, and pencil boxes and other supplies go on the other. Randomly the Desk Fairy will visit and leave special treats on the desks. Since we can't have food rewards, I've left stickers and erasers so far.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2005

Canadian friends...........I have never heard of a duotang before.........I take it that is a folder? :)

10. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 10, 2005

LOL! I didn't think our cultures were that different! A duotang is a type of folder but it has metal posts where the holes should be on paper so that you can add papers and they stay secure, but it is more compact than a three ring binder, and a lot cheaper (like 20 cents each). When you put papers in, you insert the holes over the metal post and then you bend the posts flat to make the papers stay. I'm sure you must have them, maybe you just have a different name for them.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2005

LOL! It probably isn't any different........I'm sure most people knew what that was...........I was just clueless. I never knew that's what those folders were called! Thanks for teaching this old teacher something! :p :D

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2005

The funny thing is..........I use those as my take home folder in Kindergarten..........now I have a fancy word for them ! tee hee~!:)

13. SarahLorax

SarahLorax Rookie

Oct 10, 2005

i also never knew those folders were called duotangs. i think i just called them the prong-y ones. :)

i copied a monthly calendar from a day-timer and am going to make copies for all my students. i'm not making it a requirement, but on periodic days i plan to do random planner-checks; any student who can show me a planner or calendar (either the one i gave them, or one of their own) that's current with all their english assignments will get a small prize--candy, pencil, etc.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 11, 2005

I've done something similar. I copied an October calendar (did the same for September), and had kids keep it in their work folder. I also have them put events on it (like if we eat in the classroom, have an assembly, or a special guest). The kids really enjoy it, and they get to take it home at the end of the month. It's also a great way to reinforce calendar skills.