Another planning question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by riverdance85, Mar 9, 2014.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Mar 9, 2014

Planning question

Good morning.

I have been teaching high school foreign language for almost two years (so I still feel a little insecure about some things, such as the question I am about to pose). Is it acceptable for a teacher to plan the same type of activities throughout a semester? For instance, I teach vocabulary the same way for all the 7 chapters that I teach in a semester. I also teach grammar the same way. However, I try to do different activities that break from the routine once a chapter. At our school district, we have the same classes every day for the semester. We get a new schedule for the second semester.

What it boils down to is that I am afraid of student boredom... but like I said, I try to counter this by planning different activities from time to time. I think that it is difficult since we see each other every day (I used to work in a school system that had an alternating schedule).

Thanks for your input!

3. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Mar 9, 2014

I don't think it's necessarily bad, but there's also no harm in learning different ways to teach vocabulary and grammar.

One of my favorite blogs is called "The Creative Language Class". I've used a lot of their ideas while tutoring and there's many more that I want to try once I have my own classroom. Another good blog is "Teaching Spanish w/ Comprehensible Input".

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2014

It´s not bad, but you may want a variety of ways to learn vocabulary for the very reason you mentioned. So, maybe at least 4 or 5 different activities so every week you use a different activity. In that way, you aren´t repeating the activity until the next month.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 9, 2014

If it works, you don't need to change it. What I would strive for is coming up with a variety of activities and keep using those, so this way you have something that works and using it consistently, but it also has several components.

For example at our school we don't give homework, the students would never study anyway. So I have to make sure they;re exposed to the vocab in my classroom. Every day, their warm up consists of vocabulary activities (so that's always the same), but every day it's different: match words / definition, fill in blanks, create sentences, match synonym, antonyms, sometimes I create a crossword puzzle, etc. And it works. When they have their test, the vocab part is either in the very high range (students that are in class and are doing the activity) or extremely low (students who are often absent or don't even do the work). So this clearly shows that it work, and I won't change it.