Another One

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 9, 2006

Honestly, I'm starting to get some-what excited about the position at the private school. The pay is really low, but many people have to start out places they never expected to be and I didn't get into teaching for the money! haha

2. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2006

Good for you Beth! You have the RIGHT attitude! I'm excited for you,too! Your OWN classroom! YIPEE!!!!!!!!!

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 9, 2006

I actually just called and left a message for the principal. I'm hoping to maybe go by tomorrow and pick up the contract from her (assuming she's still interested in me) so that I can have some time to read it over before signing it and making the commitment to the school for a year.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

Beth I know how you feel. But if your excited and can deal with the pay for a year than go for it!

5. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Aug 9, 2006

beth if you want to find out about getting your boyfriend's health insurance i think that you have to fill out paperwork to be declared 'domestic partners'. i just thought you might want the specific title they give it through the gov.

6. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Aug 9, 2006

Hugs Beth, but perhaps this small bump in the road will lead you to bigger and better things!

7. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Aug 9, 2006

Good Luck Beth, I'm sure things will work out. It's one year right?!?

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 10, 2006

I went by today on my lunch break and got my contract. I've been reading through it and I'm not 100% sure whether or not I should sign it. I may honestly have to decline the position because of the things the contract includes.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

Beth, what kinds of things does it include, if you don't mind sharing?

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 10, 2006

One of the things it includes is:
    "The teacher will faithfully attend and financially support a local church whose fundamental beliefs are in agreement with the statement of faith of this school" --I have not attended church regularly for quite some time

Another thing is that it mentions cohabitation and things of that nature SEVERAL times in the contract and my fiance and I have lived together for the past 3 years.

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

Beth: Congrats on the job offer at the private school. I realize you are not sure of taking it yet, but it's still a positive...you can definitely use that as some leverage now w/the public school. ;) Either way, you will have a classroom for the Fall and that is terrific. The experience you can put on your resume will be valuable. That is how I am looking at my job that I got at the Christian School I'll be teaching at. However, as Upsadaisy said, I may want to stay longer than a year, who knows. I am like you, the pay was a big concern. However, I will be able to manage....it sure beats the measly sub pay I've had to live off of.
    Anyhow, this is positive news! Congratulations. :D

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

There would be no way I would be signing that contract! It's a job not my way of life! I control that not my employers.

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 10, 2006

I don't know what to do now....

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

Well if you sign it that means either your bf moves out or you tried to hide the fact that you life with him. and if they find out they can fire you. And how are you suppose to financially support the church when you aren't making enough to live on.

15. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 10, 2006

Well, you could call the principal or whomever gave you the contract and say you had some concerns regarding the contract. You could mention that you have been living with your boyfriend for three years and be honest about the Church issue. I would have a difficult time signing, especially with the pay being so low, but you also have to consider your options.....this is a tough one

16. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

I think the best policy is honesty. I had a similar concern when I signed my contract. It also mentioned being a member of a church (however, it didnt say anything about financial support, I'm assuming they mean offering?) Anyhow, I too have not attended church regularily in about 3 years, and I told the principal this. I did tell her I am in the process of trying to find another church home, but it has been a difficult process. Turns out she really appreciated my being up front. I am fortunate that she is a real and down to earth woman. Best of luck to you, I know it's a tough decision to make.

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 10, 2006

The thing is, my family who works in the church and the school know my living situation and apparently didn't see it as being a problem.
    When the principal gave me the contract she told me not to let it scare me, that she needed to sit down with her lawyer and cover all of the bases with the contract. I may call her tomorrow and go by to speak with her. I'm not going to lie by signing the contract, but maybe because she knows that I'm a good person (regardless of my living situation) she'll look the other way....who knows...

18. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Aug 10, 2006

i had kind of a weird situation similar to this recently. i interviewed for a prek position at a private school. i had heard about the position from a girl i went to college with who worked for the school and told me that she wasn't really keen about the administrators but that i should check it out. on my way to the interview she called and told me that if they asked if i had a boyfriend (i also live with mine) to tell them no. she didn't really explain why but i found it bizarre. that, the low pay, the fact that i would have to provide child care in the summer and the bad vibes i got from the administrators sent me running when they offered me the position. like it was said... your employer should not control your life... even if it is a private school.