Another One

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 5, 2006

I just got a phone call from my aunt and she mentioned that a friend of her's who is the principal at the Christian private school that my cousins attended asked if I was still looking for a job. My aunt said that she was pretty sure that I was and the woman mentioned that she has an elementary opening and was wondering if I would be interested. I told my aunt that I would be and she gave the woman my cell phone number. Well, the principal called me literally 2 minutes later to set up an interview for Tuesday morning. My family is heavily invested in this church and school and I wouldn't be surprised if I was offered the job at the interview. My major concern is the fact that I know the pay is going to be pretty low and there are also no benefits. The pay doesn't concern me as much because it'll be better than sub pay, I'm sure, but I've already gone a year without health insurance and eventually I'm going to need to go see a doctor.
    Like my aunt said, though, it would be a good experience even if it was only for a year to have something else to put on my resume. If I am offered the job, I'm going to ask her for a day or two to think about it and then I'll call the principal that I interviewed with on Thursday to let her know about the offer and ask about that position. I would much rather be in the public schools, but pretty much any job is better than none. :)

3. genchi918

genchi918 Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

I know it's hard out there and because of that I would definitely consider the private school for the experience alone, but I hope you get the position in the public school. Having benefits is sooo important. Last year I was working in a school but it was only part time so I paid for my benefits out of pocket. They were quite costly, but my point is that sure enough I ended up in the hospital for something that would have cost a fortune had I not had benefits, so you never know. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you so that you will get the public school position.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 5, 2006

Thanks, genchi918. Like I said, the benefits situation is my real concern. I definitely won't turn down this position, though unless I'm offered something in the public schools. Even if the pay is low, it'll be a steady pay check and I'll know where I'm going from day to day unlike the situation when subbing.

The thing with this school is that it is in the basement of the church and there are no separate rooms. It's one big room that is broken up by partitions (like some-what large cubicles). It definitely is not where I saw myself teaching, but I'd be willing to do it to get some experience.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2006

Do you know for a fact that there are no benefits? Some privates pay half the group premium or something like that.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 5, 2006

I'm pretty sure there aren't any. My cousin mentioned the school to me a few weeks ago and asked if my fiance had health insurance that I could get on when we get married because the school doesn't offer any.
    She just works at the aftercare program so it's possible that she was wrong, but that's what she told me.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2006

Well, it looks like, either way, you'll be teaching in the fall. So this is great news!

My friend moved last year to the St. Louis area (although actually in Illinois) and her son is in an open classroom like the one you described. She loves it!

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 5, 2006

It does look that way!
    I may be jumping the gun, but unless she really disagrees with things I say during the interview, I expect to be offered the position.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2006

What grade Beth? I'm hoping for the public school position for you (due to benefits), but this would be great experience.

10. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

I taught at a private school for my 1st year of teaching. I like you ran into lots of trouble with finding position in a public school mainly because the area I was living in had about 10 positions total and the university I attended graduated about 250 students with education degrees. You do the math the odds were not in my favor (even though not all of them stayed around the area, enough to make finding positions difficult). The private school that I taught at (It was a Catholic School) I did get benefits (only the teachers were offered) so maybe your friend does not get benefits because she is not a teacher. I also payed into the Diocese retirement and when I left they let me buy out what I paid in so I was able to buy my year back in STRS. When I went to interview for the position that I have now(I have been there 4 years) they were very pleased that I had experience and later the principle told me that is why she wanted to interview me (I was one of the 1st called for an interview), and called me to offer me the job the next day. I am sure that this will work out for you and you can always use this position as leverage with the interview that you had on Thursday.

Good Luck!!

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 5, 2006

I'm not sure of the grade. My aunt said she thought it was 3rd or 4th and I was so surprised that the principal called back so quickly that I didn't even think to ask her! I guess I'll just find out on Tuesday.

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 5, 2006

That is exactly my plan. :)

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 5, 2006

Well Beth I hope you get the job you want but if not I hope you get this one!

14. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 5, 2006

Beth, check out ehealthinsurance to see what types of health insurance that may be an option for you. Just google a search on health insurance, short and long term, it may not be as expensive as you think and it is an option until something else comes your way.

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2006

Beth, congratulations!

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2006

Sometimes, private school is a welcome change from public school. I love it. Congratulations.

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 5, 2006

Who knows, I may not even be offered the position. We'll see. I think I may call the public school principal on Monday to let her know about my interview Tuesday morning and ask if any decisions have been made yet so that I can make an informed decision if I do happen to be offered a position at the private school.

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 5, 2006

It is definitely the best place for some people. I'm not against private school in general, I'm just not exactly thrilled at how tiny this particular school is. If I don't get the 5th grade in the public school and I'm offered this one I will definitely take it for the experience.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2006

I understand. I'm not exactly thrilled at the size of my school, either.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 5, 2006

Ok lets not even start the talk about school size! Beth you are going to get one of these jobs! you have to.

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2006

LOL Jaime!!!!!!!!!!:p

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2006

:D :D Jaime, you are too funny!!!

23. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 7, 2006

I called the school where I interviewed last Thursday on my lunch break today (about 1:30ish) and there was no answer. I left a message on the office voicemail and then found the principal's extension and left one there for her as well. I basically just said that I have an interview tomorrow morning, but I am still very interested in the fifth grade position that I interviewed for so I would like to know if any decisions have been made in the event that i'm offered a position tomorrow. I didn't get a call back, though, so we'll see. If I get offered a position tomorrow I'll just ask the principal if I can have until the end of the week and then call the other principal again to let her know that I have an offer.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2006

Fingers still crossed for you!

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

you did the right thiing by calling Beth. Hang in there

26. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 8, 2006

The interview went well today and I was pretty much offered the job...in not so many words. She basically just told me to think it over and call her by Friday to let her know. It seems like it is a place that I could really be happy (even if only for one year) but I'm really, really concerned about the fact that there are no benefits and the pay is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than even what I had anticipated. It's literally less than half of what the first year teachers make in the public schools in my area. I'm not getting into teaching for the money, of course, but I do need to survive and I'm just not sure I'll be able to make it with such low pay...never mind starting to save for a down payment on a house and our wedding!

I tried calling the other school again today and spoke with the secretary. She said that the principal was out yesterday and today, but that she did get my message and relayed it to the principal. I thanked her and then called the principal's direct line again to leave a message letting her know about the other position. Hopefully she'll call me tomorrow so I can really start to think about whether or not the private school position is what I want.

27. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 8, 2006

Beth, I'm glad it went well! I hope you hear good news from the other school.

28. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 8, 2006

If you do wind up taking the position at the private school would the pay be enough to get you some basic individual health coverage with Blue Cross and Blue Shield or some other insurance company?

I was actually able to pick up affordable insurance for me through Celtic and the Unicare when I became a Substitute with ZERO benefits.

I know working private isn't what you want, but if it's all you can get the something is better than nothing and I'm sure you can make it work for an entire year so that you could build some good references for the '07-'08 school year.

Good luck! :cool:

29. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 8, 2006

Unfortunately, the pay is so low that I wouldn't be able to afford any health insurance.

30. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 8, 2006

Geez. I didn't know parochial and private schools were THAT low in pay. I knew theyw ere low, but not that low.

31. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 8, 2006

I don't think they're usually this low. I honestly think this one just pays much less than most others.

32. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

Is it low enough that you could get on state care? Or does Mass have that thing if you can prove you life with your significant other you can still get on their health insurance even if your not married. MissB told me that is now a state law in Maine.

33. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 8, 2006

I don't think I can get on my boyfriend's health insurance. I wish I could, but I've never heard of anything like that in Mass.
    I could look into MassHealth insurance, but I'm not sure how low your income has to be for that.

34. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

Beth,
    Mass must have that health insurance about living with your significant other. Maine has it and Maine is always last. LOL. You should look into it.

35. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 8, 2006

They don't have it in California!

But, yes I agree it's worth looking into.

36. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 8, 2006

Beth, Wishing you the best.

37. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

Have you heard from the other school?

38. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 9, 2006

I heard back from the principal this morning. They went with someone who is already working in the district. She said that I interviewed very well, though.

I think I'm still going to wait until Friday just to see if anything else pops up and if not I'll call the private school back to say that I'm interested.

39. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 9, 2006

I'm so sorry to hear that, Beth. I hope something comes up for you.

40. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

That sucks Beth! Hugs. I hope something else comes up for you.

41. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2006

:( Their loss Beth. So sorry to hear that.