Another One Bites The Dust...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by flutetoot, Aug 10, 2009.

1. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 10, 2009

Boy, does this sound like my theme song....:(

Had an interview scheduled for this AM at a school that I thought I had a good shot at.

Unfortunately, fate had something else in store for me. Yesterday (Sunday) I woke with a fever, terrible dizziness, and nausea. I couldn't even get out of bed! I thought if I stayed and rested all day, I would get better, but I seemed to get progressively worse :(
    Not to be too descriptive, I was sick all day and couldn't hold down any foods or liquids. (I rarely get sick, but when I do...it usually is bad)

I woke this AM (Monday) with all hopes of going to the interview, but still was very sick and couldn't even lift my head. Anyhow, I tried to will myself better, but ended up fainting...long story short..dh brought me to the emergency clinic where they said I was dehydrated and had a stomach virus. They hooked me up to fluids so that I could at least get home. In the meantime, my dh called the P where I had the interview and spoke with the secretary, explaining my situation and asking if it would be at all possible if we could reschedule. Well, needless to say, they said no - they had plenty of other candidates and could not wait for me to get well. The secretary then said that if I really was interested in the job, I would make my appointment (this while I am hooked up at the clinic). Anyhow, I called the school when I got home (about 2 hours later) and apologized for missing the appointment, explaining what happened, and kindly asking if they could reschedule - I was told interviews were over and perhaps another time. :p

I didn't ask to get sick, and had hoped to have some understanding on the school's part...I am soooooo tired of this! Unfortunately, there haven't been any other postings and probably won't be too many since school starts in ten days. I don't know why my luck is so bad!

3. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Oh, I'm sorry - that you're sick and that you missed the interview. It stinks that the school wouldn't reschedule - it just wasn't meant to be.

4. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I'm sorry . . . I actually think that's rather tacky on the secretary's part. That's just terrible. Fingers crossed that something better comes your way!

5. Jaz

Jaz Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

:sorry:I am so sorry to hear about your bad day. I think it is terrible how insensitive the school was, it isn't like you were on vacation and just decided to bag the interview! I know this is the last thing you want to hear right now but... maybe this was a sign that that school was not the one for you. (I'm not sure I would want to work with insensitive boobs like that) I hope you are feeling better soon.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

Last year I was asked back for a second interview... SHOCK...my one and only second interview!

Well I was in the hospital. I was recooping from surgery to repair a hernia. (Get this... the hernia was from my son's C-section...19 years earlier!)

Anyway... I call the principal back...and leave a message. I will be released that day...and will even come to an interview on my way HOME from the hospital - though not sure what time I'm being released. So if you could move my interview to the NEXT morning-I would sure appreciate it.

Never heard a PEEP from the district again. I mean..come ON! I'm in the hospital for a non-life threatening situation...can I get a LITTLE understanding?

No.

So I'm right there with you.

Sorry :(

Honestly... and this will hurt...it hurt ME. But I chalked it up to.. the principal looked at it as simply having fate narrow her field of choices down.

And that stinks.

I drive past that district and stick my tongue out at them...THEY are confused :eek: :dunno: , but I feel a lot better when I do it :)!

7. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

:hugs: I'm so sorry! I hope you feel better soon!

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

WOW. Look, right now your main concern is getting better. Put the J-O-B on the back burner until you are functioning at 100%. You are probably run down from all the stress of job hunting which also depletes your immune system which makes you vulnerable to sickness. As for the school, it is THEIR loss. There will be other jobs and other opportunities. Get well. Be well. Watch a good movie and drink fluids!:hugs:

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2009

I'm so sorry, flutetoot.

10. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

That's pretty harsh.

11. FlGirl

FlGirl Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Both of those situations are very unfortunate. Positive thoughts going out to you both.

12. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

So sorry :(. I hope you feel better soon.

13. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

Flutetoot, too bad you couldn't go and share that lovely virus with that lovely secretary :hugs:.

14. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I am very sorry for your sickness....That stinks...and I hate to be the only one to say it but....Look how close they are to school starting. If they wait for you, they'd have to wait for others who can't make their interviews for whatever reason and who knows how long it would be before they find someone. I do think it was a horrible thing that the secretary said, she could have been nicer with her wording, but I completely understand why they couldn't reschedule your interview. Agan, I'm really sorry that you are sick though :( It's never any fun!

15. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

im sorry this happened =( id be really upset missing out on an opportunity but obviously this wasnt meant to be! their loss!

16. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 11, 2009

That is outrageous! You were in the emergency room what do they expect? Karma will get them in the end.