Another new one :/

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 31, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

I just found out I have a new student...My 5th SPED student. The other 3 second-grade teachers have 0 students with an IEP, and their class sizes are either smaller or the same size as mine. I just feel like this is going to be another really tough year for me. :unsure:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2012

I get inclusion and all of that (it stinks for the teachers with all the Sped students).
    However, I think YOU should have a smaller class! Definitely not fair!

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

I agree...Some schools in our district do have smaller class sizes for teachers with a lot of students in SPED. That would be nice!

I don't want to make it sound like I don't want to work with these students, but I know for sure that 3 out of 5 have learning needs, and well as very difficult, unpredictable behaviors. I just get nervous with the behavior aspect. The "crisis intervention" team had to be called to their classroom many times last year. Also, I am not going to have a SPED teacher or aide in my classroom at all times. Sounds like last year all over again...

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2012

I would be asking why they aren't spreading the SPED population out in a more fair & even manner -that can't be fair to you OR the students - SPED or otherwise!

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

I just sent my P an email asking nicely why this student was placed in my classroom.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

I definitely agree that you should have a smaller class! Do you have a TA or a para to help?

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

No, those positions don't exist in my district. We have SPED aides, so I will have help sometimes.

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

Wow. In my old district, the inclusion classes were usually smaller than the others on grade level (although with budget cuts they cut a class on each grade level to save money, so the inclusion classes ended up being the same size at the start of the school year. Those classes had a half-day para & the other half of the day they had a SPED teacher co-teach. As new students entered during the year, those classes got the new students since they had the extra help.

10. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

Do the other teachers on your grade level have their SPED certs?

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

I am so sorry, DP. If they are going to put all the SPED students in one classroom, then they need to at least put someone in your room to help with those kiddos. If positions like that don't exist in your school, then they need to spread out the SPED kiddos.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

Your old district sounds nice! :)

All of the teachers on my grade level are just certified regular ed (including myself).

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2012

Last year I got an email a month or two in saying I was getting a new student with a very extensive IEP.

I marched down to the office, kindly said that with the details I'd been given I thought mixing him into my already needy group was a bad idea.

I really honestly belive, after seeing the student all year, that having him with my couple of kiddos would have been terrible. No one would have gotten the attention they deserved from me, and the combo of kids wouldn't have been good.

I still feel guilty sometimes for not "wanting" a kid and "pawning" him off on a teammate, but it was definitely what was best for him and for my high-needs kids.

14. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 31, 2012

This happens to me a lot because I'm a male teacher. I tend to get a class full of boys who "need a positive male role model." More often than not that translates to behavior issues.

I don't mind working with these kids, but it does bother me when I feel like I have a loaded class. One year I consistently had 3 more students in my class than the next highest population teacher on my team. One year 16 of my 20 kids were boys. That's not fair to anyone. One year I had 6 ESL students, 2 students with pretty severe autism, and 1 EBD student who threw chairs daily. I have also noticed a trend of having more students with special needs in my class than others on my team, as well as getting all the "teacher's kids."

I try to take it as a compliment and deal with it...not much else to do about it after all!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

I have that "high needs" class this coming year--out of 30 students, we have 9 identified with learning needs, one who should be (but his home situation has gotten in the way) and 1 Stage 1 ELL. There aren't a lot of other options, unfortunately. There is one other class they could be in, but they would then be on the low end of a split, which is far from ideal. The ESL teacher and I are sharing the class, so our "expertise" can be brought into play. It will be interesting.

16. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

I'm sorry, it really isn't fair, but it is probably what is best for the students.