Another new one :/

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 31, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

I just found out I have a new student...My 5th SPED student. The other 3 second-grade teachers have 0 students with an IEP, and their class sizes are either smaller or the same size as mine. I just feel like this is going to be another really tough year for me. :unsure:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2012

I get inclusion and all of that (it stinks for the teachers with all the Sped students).
    However, I think YOU should have a smaller class! Definitely not fair!

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

I agree...Some schools in our district do have smaller class sizes for teachers with a lot of students in SPED. That would be nice!

I don't want to make it sound like I don't want to work with these students, but I know for sure that 3 out of 5 have learning needs, and well as very difficult, unpredictable behaviors. I just get nervous with the behavior aspect. The "crisis intervention" team had to be called to their classroom many times last year. Also, I am not going to have a SPED teacher or aide in my classroom at all times. Sounds like last year all over again...

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2012

I would be asking why they aren't spreading the SPED population out in a more fair & even manner -that can't be fair to you OR the students - SPED or otherwise!

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

I just sent my P an email asking nicely why this student was placed in my classroom.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

I definitely agree that you should have a smaller class! Do you have a TA or a para to help?

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

No, those positions don't exist in my district. We have SPED aides, so I will have help sometimes.

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

Wow. In my old district, the inclusion classes were usually smaller than the others on grade level (although with budget cuts they cut a class on each grade level to save money, so the inclusion classes ended up being the same size at the start of the school year. Those classes had a half-day para & the other half of the day they had a SPED teacher co-teach. As new students entered during the year, those classes got the new students since they had the extra help.

10. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

Do the other teachers on your grade level have their SPED certs?

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

I am so sorry, DP. If they are going to put all the SPED students in one classroom, then they need to at least put someone in your room to help with those kiddos. If positions like that don't exist in your school, then they need to spread out the SPED kiddos.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

Your old district sounds nice! :)

All of the teachers on my grade level are just certified regular ed (including myself).

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2012

Last year I got an email a month or two in saying I was getting a new student with a very extensive IEP.

I marched down to the office, kindly said that with the details I'd been given I thought mixing him into my already needy group was a bad idea.

I really honestly belive, after seeing the student all year, that having him with my couple of kiddos would have been terrible. No one would have gotten the attention they deserved from me, and the combo of kids wouldn't have been good.

I still feel guilty sometimes for not "wanting" a kid and "pawning" him off on a teammate, but it was definitely what was best for him and for my high-needs kids.

14. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 31, 2012

This happens to me a lot because I'm a male teacher. I tend to get a class full of boys who "need a positive male role model." More often than not that translates to behavior issues.

I don't mind working with these kids, but it does bother me when I feel like I have a loaded class. One year I consistently had 3 more students in my class than the next highest population teacher on my team. One year 16 of my 20 kids were boys. That's not fair to anyone. One year I had 6 ESL students, 2 students with pretty severe autism, and 1 EBD student who threw chairs daily. I have also noticed a trend of having more students with special needs in my class than others on my team, as well as getting all the "teacher's kids."

I try to take it as a compliment and deal with it...not much else to do about it after all!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

I have that "high needs" class this coming year--out of 30 students, we have 9 identified with learning needs, one who should be (but his home situation has gotten in the way) and 1 Stage 1 ELL. There aren't a lot of other options, unfortunately. There is one other class they could be in, but they would then be on the low end of a split, which is far from ideal. The ESL teacher and I are sharing the class, so our "expertise" can be brought into play. It will be interesting.

16. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

I'm sorry, it really isn't fair, but it is probably what is best for the students.

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 31, 2012

I don't think its fair to put all the SPED students in one classroom-- not for the teacher, not for the regular students, and not at all fair to the SPED students. I've seen this happen A LOT (many of us are saying it happens) and the students who really need a lot of attention are not getting it when there's 2+ students with needs.

I really hate hearing that schools are doing this and I hope your P reconsiders.

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012

Where I work "inclusion" means two teachers, at the elementary level is means two teachers ALL day. But for the most part the only IEP students who I get in my class are kids who's IEP clearly state "integrated co-teaching" if the child is only receiving speech or OT they are technically on the gen ed. side of my class but they still count towards my percentage. (Technically it can only be 40 spec ed vs 60 regular ed.)

There's one co-teaching inclusion (there are so many names for it, we call it ICT) on each grade level. So students with learning disabilities that are not severe enough for ICT end up in the general education classes. They get pulled out for resource room. I believe there is a certain % of IEP kids a gen ed class can have but of course the rule isn't always followed. Last year one of my grade level colleagues had like 8 IEP kids in her class. Some of them were only getting OT or speech but most were getting resource room.

What kind of services will your IEP students receive? I know you said you won't have much help in the classroom, but will they be pulled out for services? If they're learning disabled and nothing else I can't believe they don't get any regular special education teacher services? That's crazy, and yes very unfair to you. At my school I think they load the kids into one class so it's easier for the pull out teachers to make schedules. (That way the kids all have the same lunch, preps, reading time, math time, etc.) If that's not the case at your school then the kids should be divided more evenly. I'm sure they're doing it because they have confidence in you as a teacher, but that doesn't mean it will be any easier for you!

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

I have not had a chance to go to school and look over their files and IEP's, but here is what I do know (by the way, they are all boys):
    -Student 1: Behind one grade level academically, ADHD (on meds some days), oppositional defiant disorder-has outbursts
    -Student 2: Behind one grade level academically, just diagnosed OHI at the end of the year (I think ADHD)
    -Student 3: OHI (I think ADHD), has outbursts where he screams very loudly (I was in the classroom nextdoor last year!), 1st grade teachers thinks he is on the spectrum
    -Student 4: Transfer student, slightly below grade level, OHI
    -Student 5: Transfer student, not in SPED yet, but I was told he needs to be referred beginning week one. He is behind one grade level academically, and has severe behavior problems.

I do know that some of the students will be pulled out for literacy intervention with the SPED teacher. She is also going to team teach with me during math, where she will work with these students in a small group. So, we're looking at about 60-90 minutes of help from the SPED teacher. I am hoping to have aide support during the times when the SPED teacher is not in the room. That sure seems like a lot for one aide to handle, though. Some of these students also have speech and OT pull-out.

20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 31, 2012

My co-op got all of the problem behaviors and IEPs without a co-teacher. She also got a lot of the honors classes so I guessed it balanced it out, but when she asked about her class size and why she got so many IEP students, the director of special ed. replied that it was unfortunate, but that the best teachers often get these groups. Unfortunately they didn't realize a student teacher (me) would be taking them on half a year. I guess you could look at it on the bright side that they think you can handle it.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

Thanks, that's how I am trying to look at it. I take it as a compliment, but I also want to protect my sanity! :lol:

22. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 31, 2012

After your descriptions, my head is spinning! I can't imagine all of those potentials for outbursts in one room with only one teacher, especially after having worked in Sp Ed where we had so many adults in one room. What if two or three of them are having a tantrum at once? ODD is no joke. If I were a parent with a kid in your class, I would NOT be happy with this setup. Please keep us updated! I'm very curious to see how this plays out.

23. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012

That's A LOT of ADHD in one room. I had a student last year who had ADHD but he was also LD and there was nothing actually on his IEP about the ADHD, but his mom was very vocal and open about it. All our IEP's are online, that must be frustrating having to wait to go to school to see them! You'll have to keep us informed about this. If any of them are ADHD and LD or OHI and LD I'd be shocked that they aren't getting more special ed. services. Also, is the special ed teacher an aide or an actual techer? I thought you said something about a special ed aide before, or maybe I got confused.

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

The special ed teacher is an actual teacher. We have about 4 aides that are shared between classrooms, based on student needs. Some students have a full-time aide written into their IEP, but none of mine do.

25. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

Okay I understand now. Yeah, it's very hard to get a full time aide on a student's IEP, at least where I am. I am getting one student with a para this year full time, and apparently she's great so I'm really looking forward to that. This student is somewhat low but his real problem and the reason he has the aide is because he has a lot of violent outbursts. He wasn't in co-teaching last year and the general education teacher really couldn't handle him one her own because when he got violent it was usually towards the other students.

26. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2012

Do you have a classroom aide? I'm sorry the classes aren't better balanced.

27. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

Wow! The teacher across the hall and I could have written this post year before last. She and I had five special needs kids each while the other teachers didn't have any. Sorry I don't have any advice, we just sucked it up and dealt with it while griping to each other on a regular basis, lol. The special ed teacher told us he put them in our classes because we handled inclusion well, so like some previous posters said it could be take as a complement. The other teacher and I always joked about how he told us that just to placate the situation with us. :rolleyes:

Beth

28. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

Well, I found out that they are all staying in my classroom, AND I am going to be working with a brand new hire for a special ed teacher. I thought I was going to be working with an awesome, experienced teacher in the building, but I'm not. :(

It just keeps getting better.

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

Wow, DP, :hugs:

30. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2012

I hope your yr goes ok. Go in with a + attitude or it will be a really long yr.

I wish I could have the special education cluster.

31. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

:hugs: drivingpigeon.

I am confused how your school can get away with having classified kids in that setting...that can't be the least restrictive environment!

I was the reg ed teacher in an inclusion co-teaching room a few years ago. It was ok, but I didn't mesh with the sped teacher...thankfully I was out for 4 months on maternity leave.

I know you will do an awesome job with them, but I'm sorry you are being handed this group without the assistance you and they deserve. In my school, we have inclusion, resource room, and self contained sped classes in many (but not all) grade levels.

More :hugs:. We are here for you!

32. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

That could play to your advantage. If you're going to be working together a lot you can kind of set the tone for how you want things to go at first and let her follow your lead. That might make it easier for you. Hopefully as the year progresses she'll get more comfortable and take more initiative. Is she strictly pushing in?

33. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 2, 2012

While student teaching, one of my classes had a special edu teacher in during class time. She was wonderful with walking around and monitoring the class while I was teaching and if she thought up of a way to help students remember something- an example or a different way of remembering it- she would share it. We basically co-taught together and I loved it. She was a wonderfully sweet person as well so we got along easily.

Hopefully you and the other teacher will be able to do the same thing and have a good time at it.

34. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

I haven't read all of the replies, but I'm happy to have Special Ed. students in my classroom. They are just like other children only they learn differently.

35. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 13, 2012

I think you need to read all of the replies...I am in no way saying that I do not enjoy having students with special needs in my classroom. You're missing the entire point of my post, which was my concern about what is best for the students in my classroom.