Another National Board Certification question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FarFromHome, Aug 14, 2011.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2011

I also have been interested in doing National Board Certification. One of the main reasons I'm interested is because my husband is in the military and I've heard it makes it a lot easier to transfer certification in most states. I'm already certified in three different states and it's a long and expensive process sometimes. I did find out that the military will pay for almost the whole thing for me, so I think I should do it. I have a few concerns/questions though. I have emailed some questions to them, but I would love to hear your experiences.

How long does it usually take to finish? I'm concerned because I will only definitely have a job for 1.5 years if I start the certification in January. We will either go home or move to a new duty station at that time. I'm worried that I won't find another job. Are you able to finish the certification without your own class?

How much work would you say it was? We're planning on having kids in the next few years, so I know that might make it difficult.

Thanks in advance for any help!

3. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Aug 14, 2011

Hello!
    I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you my timeline the year I got my NBCT. Maybe that'll help.

Summer - precandidacy class (3 days). It was nice because this cohort was made up of people in my district or nearby areas and we were able to get together and help each other during the course of the year. Also, get candidate ID number and any money from your state to cut down on the expense.

August - Nov - gather materials, ideas, etc.
    Nov- Dec - videotape the 2 videos that my Middle Childhood Generalist one required. Your chosen certificate might be different.

Jan - Mar - write like mad! You have to do 4 12-page portfolios. I usually just type over any drafts I write. But I kept each and every one numbered and with all marks on them. Lots of work and the box has to sent at the end of March. Then you wait for results in Nov or Dec.

I had a 2 year old when I went through the process and I was also in the last semester of my Masters. I wouldve waited, but my district was offering $500 toward the payment and I couldn't turn it down. It was a lot more work than my masters (which was a piece of cake LOL), but worth it since it's another card in your pocket.

Good luck!

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

Thank you! From what I've been looking at, I thought it started in January. It sounds like you started in the summer instead? That would be better if I could start now, because my husband is going to be deployed for 6 months of this school year. I guess I need to call and ask them some questions!

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 15, 2011

My schedule was similar to Blk. I think it was the best thing I ever did. I am also recertified.