Another library question...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 11, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 11, 2013

I have tons of Magic Treehouse novels - at least 8 of which I have sets of 4-5 of each. I realize that these are NOT non-fiction, but they DO describe and/or touch on true historical events - I'm trying to figure out how to tie them in with my SS instruction (as extensions?). I can't help but think that they would be beneficial for some of my students to visualize times past in ways that strictly nonfiction texts would not - am I making any sense? I'm also considering doing small group book studies of several of these. As you can tell, I'm rambling, because my brain is going in circles. I just started cataloging my classroom library using classroombooksource.com (over 200 titles so far, not to mention the multiples), and I'm really enjoying it. The MTH books are within the CCSS Lexile levels for 3rd, so I think they'll be perfect for my "on or above" level readers. Any thoughts or suggestions would be more than welcome!:help::dizzy:

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

If you have multiple sets of them, I'd def consider using them in book groups or clubs. Maybe look into the research guides that go with them, too? I have a bunch of single copies in my classroom library and my higher level kids love them!

4. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 11, 2013

I was going to suggest the research guides as well. They give factual information about the topics in the books.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 11, 2013

Well, I just put 4 (gently used) copies of the research guides for book #1 in my cart on Amazon, and will complete the order tomorrow night (payday is this weekend :)). I'll try to get one set per payday for a few paydays... that way I'll have research guides to have multiple groups going at a time... does that make sense? I don't see starting them right away (kids report to school August 12), but perhaps 2 weeks after school starts.... Thoughts? I'm hoping to use them in conjunction with interactive notebooks, and perhaps to rotate the books through the groups... does that make sense? It looks like I'll have between 16-20 students this year.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 11, 2013

My grade 3s loved reading Magic Treehouse and the research guides are fabulous. I had a few of the books on CD and we listened to them while my students worked on their printing / handwriting.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2013

I'm pretty sure the 1st books are an L on F & P (kids are supposed to be an N/O at my school coming into 3rd) so it's actually good for students who are a little below grade level/on.

But the series goes up in level as you go on. And the nonfiction companions are great for further research if you read the fiction version of something you're studying. Those are higher, more in a 4th grade range.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2013

iteachbx - your post leads me to my next questions - so they actually use the research guide after reading the books? Also - do I need an entire "group set" of research guides or just one per group (MTH book)? Sorry, I'm a little dense... and prone to spending too much $$$.