Another job hunt question :)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jul 3, 2021.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 3, 2021

Scenario: I applied for several jobs with one district. It’s the only district I’d like to work for. I immediately got one, then two messages about interviews, but I likely/hopefully will get more (it’s a holiday weekend). Currently I have two scheduled for Tuesday.

Question: If I were to get offered a position directly following one of the first interviews, is there a way to tactfully say I have a few more interviews (if it’s true) and would like to speak with those schools before making a final decision?

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2021

I wouldn't word it as waiting on more interviews. I'd tell them you'd like time to think about it and then ask when they need a response by. I would expect them to give you a few days, more than that is unlikely. Unless you really don't want the job that is offered, or there is a particular school that you're just really hoping to get into, I'd take the job that's offered rather than waiting on "maybe more interviews."

mrsf70, otterpop and vickilyn like this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 3, 2021

Thanks. This is what I would probably do, personally, but a couple close family members keep telling me not to accept the first offer I get until I’m sure I actually want it. I’m thinking, mostly I want a job, and I’d be happy for an offer, even if it’s not my first choice. The first school to contact me was not among my first choice schools. I would not take it if I had a really awful feeling about it, but if it’s an ok job I don’t know that I want to wait around for something that *might* be more what I was looking for.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 5, 2021

Since all the interviews are in the same district, I think the best bet is to be upfront and honest with the principal. They likely already know you are interviewing with other schools in the district (in my district principals can see the interview list for all openings). Principals talk, and if they like you but you aren’t the right fit for their building, they will let other principals know about you. For example, one district in my school loved an applicant, but she would be a great fit for lower elementary and that school’s opening was upper. So they passed on her, but let the principal of a school with a lower grade opening know about her, and she got that job.

otterpop likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 6, 2021

Thank you. Yes, I do have a feeling that they can all see everything, due to how the application system works.