Another interview down...one more to go.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2017

I can't really gauge how this one went. Committee was super-neutral and one person was actually a little hostile in tone and affect. I really do not like it when people do that. I can see being neutral but, hey, a nod or something to let me know you understood? A smile doesn't hurt either, from time to time. I always make these efforts when I interview people, but it is what it is.

I will know by tomorrow if I move onto the second interview. I felt that my answers were solid and I had good, real-life classroom stories and examples to back them up. However, I didn't get the reactions that I have at other interviews, so I am not sure what they thought of me. I know some people who work at the school put in a good word for me, including some parents, and one of my references is a parent at the school. So I didn't expect special treatment in any way, but perhaps a more welcoming atmosphere would be nice. I guess it wasn't meant to be, the more I think about it.

I have one more interview on Monday at a small, rural school not too far from where I live. Hoping it will feel right. Otherwise, back to my old job where I will have to hope things are less toxic this year.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 16, 2017

I had an interview like that once - where I honestly had no clue what they thought about me. Like you, I felt that my responses to their questions were strong, but they gave me to clue as to whether or not they felt that way too. Now, I work at that school.

Rainbowbird likes this.
  4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2017

Ha! Thanks for that little reminder that you just never know...

bella84 likes this.
  5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2017

I take it your colleagues warmed up eventually and proved to be pleasant? Sometimes you wonder what these ppl would be like to work with, if they cannot muster up a smile at an interview!

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 16, 2017

Oh yeah. It's the best teaching job I've ever had. The climate is so wonderful at this school, and the people are a big part of it. I think that they just don't like to give too much of a reaction either way during the interview. For one thing, they did a panel interview, and they probably wanted to discuss their thoughts with each other before letting me, the candidate, in on to what they were thinking. Also, my principal just doesn't show his emotions often... He usually remains pleasantly neutral. So, it really just wasn't his style to show his emotions in an interview, and I guess the others followed suit!

Rainbowbird likes this.
  7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2017

That's great! I'm glad you found your perfect niche. My old p was similar. We miss him so!

bella84 likes this.
  8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 19, 2017

I loved panel interviews. They would ask a question, then all frantically write down what I was saying . I'd be looking at them. Boob job. Nice comb-over. She looks like a 16-year-old, talks like one too. I would ask a stupid question and then leave.

9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 20, 2017

Another rejection! This summer is quite the doozy! Haven't ever had this many interviews without an offer. The principal was very nice and gave me a lot of positive feedback, but said they had to go with someone else. I have my last interview tomorrow. Perhaps the solar eclipse will somehow influence my luck? :) LOL

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Rainbowbird likes this.
  11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 20, 2017

I know. They will give positive feedback but will never tell you WHY you didn't get hired...because of course, that opens the door to a potential lawsuit should you feel you have a legal leg to stand on. Not that I would bother. But yeah, it would be nice to get the truth. "Mrs. Rainbowbird, you were amazing and I wish I could hire you. But the budget situation being what it is, we are really looking for someone who can save us about $30k. You're just too high up on the salary scale!"

Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2017

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 21, 2017

The stories I could tell you about how ppl are hired in my current district would blow your mind. Lots of nepotism. Hiring committee recs are often completely bypassed.
    It is rough out there but that is why the standard advice on this board applies to everyone: apply everywhere you can and don't pass up an interview. You never know which ones are jobs that are really going to someone else, so you have to increase your odds. I don't understand why teaching in AZ wouldn't be helpful experience, personally! Sorry you had to hear that!

14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2017