Another interview!! Could use some help though...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachin4ever, Aug 26, 2011.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 26, 2011

So I got a call today from a P who wants to interview me for a part time math position. It's a VERY short interview (30 min.) because he said they want to hire someone by Tuesday. The first part requires me to show them a sample lesson and how I would teach it - easy.

Here is what I have to do for the second part:

Develop a PowerPoint or multi-media presentation that would be presented to parents on Curriculum Night

• Personal/professional information about you
    • Your philosophy of education
    • Classroom Structure
    • Include your classroom policies (homework, discipline, grading)
    • Parent Involvement and Communication
    • Technology
    • You will present the PowerPoint to committee members…so be sure to bring on a flash drive.

First, I've taught three years, so I've done three curriculum nights; however, I've never used PowerPoint to do one. Does anyone happen to have any samples I could look at to get an idea of how to most effectively present this information?

Second, what to they mean by classroom structure?

Thanks!!

3. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 28, 2011

If you've already done 3 curriculum nights (I'm assuming they're like "Open House" or "Back to School Night"), then you have all the material you need. All you do is type out what you'd say during curriculum night into a PowerPoint Presentation.

The bullet-points that you mentioned are all headings/titles of your slides. In those slides, use 3 to 4 short, INCOMPLETE sentences/phrases to summarize your points. When you actually speak to the parents (or in this case since it's an interview, the principal), go over the slides in depth/with detail. PowerPoint is meant to be used as a tool to enhance the presentation experience with visuals, so add in some photos of student work like projects and assignments that the students have completed or will complete during the school year.

As for "Class Structure", they basically mean how do you teach material? Ex: Lectures, project-based assignments, cooperative learning groups, etc.

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 28, 2011

Thanks, halfpint. I finally figured out what they meant by "Class Structure" from a few friends on here and showed them my presentation this morning. It went really well.

Thanks again for your help!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 29, 2011

Good luck!