Another I don't have a job post...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jlyn07, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 4, 2011

I need to vent and maybe hear some honest opinions. I've been trying to get a teaching job since 2009 (got BS in 2007 & got MS while teaching preschool for 2 yrs.) Since 2009 I have been a TA and have went on numerous interviews; including 2 for the district I work for - no job. I'm a bad interviewee, I can't present myself well for some reason & part of me thinks it's because I shouldn't be a teacher or that I wouldn't be good at it.

Part of me wants to look into other careers but the other part of me wants a chance in the classroom to see if I could do it - I love the kids I work with & think I do a good job with them so I'm not sure what to do. I can't be a TA forever, especially with my student loans.

Im thinking of giving it one more year and then looking elsewhere - no idea where but I guess that's something I have to figure out.

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Sep 4, 2011

This is when you have to pull up your bootstraps and come to a decision. If you want to have a teaching position bad enough, you will get it down the road. If you don't, then self doubt will run through your mind and you will not *shine* when it comes to the interview.

Ask yourself the following questions:

Am I willing to work my tail off one more year as a TA?
    Am I going to read tons of professional books and grow my pedagogical expertise that I can apply as a TA?
    Am I going to work on additional certifications within the state of NY and apply for certification outside the state?
    Am I going to continue networking with colleagues at the school to see if I can gain an advantage over the competition next year?

If you answered yes to all of these, there's no question your heart is into teaching as you have the drive and motivation to succeed. You obviously cannot control the terrible job market, but you do control your marketability to employers. As the late Randy Pausch once said in The Last Lecture, "The brick walls are there for a reason. They're not there to keep people out but to see who wants it badly enough."

I was once in your shoes in 2008. After a one-year contract, I was let go and out of a teaching job for two years without an interview until I blew away a building principal at my next opportunity. If you want it bad enough, you will wear your heart on your sleeve in your next interview and showcase the passion and desire to do whatever it takes to become the great teacher you inspire to be.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 5, 2011

Can you sign up for some kind of interview prep courses at your local community center, employment center, etc. to be a better interviewee? That's definitely what I'd look into doing. A person can have 2 PhD's but if they can't speak w/ confidence, show off their knowledge & skills, &/or have the likable personality that makes an employer want to hire them, they pretty much won't get hired.

If all else fails, find books on the matter in the self-improvement section of your bookstore/library.

I've personally always liked interviews, never got really nervous, & did well on them. My entire life, even when I was 18 interviewing for a retail job, etc., I welcomed interviews w/ open arms & viewed them as good practice for the future.

Good luck!

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 5, 2011

Interviewing is important no doubt. I wonder where these feelings of self doubt come from? If you are doing a good job as a TA, you should have some glowing recommendations from the teachers you worked with and from administrators. Just before an interview, you should look over those recommendations to remind yourself just how AMAZING you are with kids. You have invested so much time and effort into getting a teaching job. You now have a master's degree in education. It would sincerely be a shame if you never got your own class because of fear and insecurity when you have invested the time and the money to be there. So, do what the above poster suggested. WORK YOUR TAIL OFF this year. I would go WAY above and WAY beyond what you are being asked to do. I would ask teachers on the team to write letters of recommendation for you after you have shown how invaluable you are. I would ask the administration to come view you as you work with children. I would then ask for their recommendations. I would go to faculty meetings even though you are not required to be there. I would let everyone know that you are wanting a permanent teaching position. I WOULD CONTINUE TO LOOK FOR A TEACHING POSITION EVEN WHILE I WAS A PARA. Sometimes putting the feelers out there and letting the administration know that you WANT this, really helps to speed the process along.

The fact that you received job interviews is a BIG PLUS. Now, you need to hone those interviewing skills. I would also set up a time to meet with your P at the end of the school year to express your desire to go further in the teaching field. Sometimes, the P gets complacent with having a certified teacher in a para-position. It is nice to have someone in that position that has a degree. Let the P know that this year is your stepping stone for a teaching level position. Make sure you are applying up to an hour away. If you can relocate, I would consider going to where the job market is better. Good luck to you!

6. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

jw, I DO work my tail off as a TA; no problems with that at all. I do much more than what my job demands because I'm all for getting as much experience as I can. I have several certifications already and will not be going back to school for any others - I have childhood ed, early childhood, literacy and students with disabilities - all of these are B-6 except SWD is up to 9th grade.

**If you want it bad enough, you will wear your heart on your sleeve in your next interview and showcase the passion and desire to do whatever it takes to become the great teacher you inspire to be. *** this is what I need to work on but I just don't know how.

I don't know where my feelings of doubt come from; I just always assume there is someone who can/will do a better job than me. Any other non-teaching job or preschool/daycare job interviews I have no problems at all, I've gotten every other job I've ever interviewed for until I started going to teacher interviews and most other jobs have came pretty easily to me.

Thanks for all the advice; I really appreciate it. I'm going to continue to search and apply everywhere this school year and hope my time comes soon. I have great letters from my current school but none from any administrators so I'll work on that as well.

7. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Sep 6, 2011

I don't know what your financial situation is so I'm not sure if you need to continue to be a TA instead of subbing. However, for certifications in NY, TA does not "count" towards experience to get your professional certificate. Subbing does.

I know NY (I'm on LI) is tough, but hang in there. Just don't get locked into your school as a TA. I know one district around here that has tons of TA's (all certified teachers) looking for permanent jobs. However, they are all so comfortable in their current district that they get locked in hoping for a position to open up there.

8. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

Don't be so hard on yourself. It's a tough market out there. Give teaching a little more time.

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

You also need one year of mentored teaching to get your professional certificate, which subbing does not give you.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 6, 2011

If you don't interview well for a teaching position, you probably don't interview well period. (Hope that doesn't sound harsh) So you really should be focusing on learning how to improve your interviewing skills. As others have suggested, find a place that offers interviewing courses and take one.